4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2011 10:31 AM by sylva1

Can colors be animated in AE?

sylva1

Hello.

I worked in Flash where colors can be animated very easily, that is change in real time. Can this be done in AE or it's only static color manipulation, i.e. color correction?

Another one, in Flash one can do shape change via shape tweening. For example, letters (after breaking them up and turning them into symbols) could change into shapes during animation. Can this be done in AE?

Thanks, S.

Can you respond to jtsylvanis@juno.com? Thanks again.

• 1. Re: Can colors be animated in AE?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

There are a bunch of places in AE where colors can be animated.  There are a bunch of effects that can alter colors in AE, and many of them can be animated.

And since AE is a totally different beast from Flash, I strongly urge you to check this out:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

If you have a strong Flash background, you should be able to progress quickly.  But because AE was developed long before Flash existed, it does things in different ways, and the details in AE will absolutely kill you if you ignore them.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can colors be animated in AE?
            sylva1 Level 1

Thank you very much, Dave.

Of course. I didn't think for a moment that color or any kind of animation will be done in AE the same way as in Flash. All I needed to know whether

the afore mentioned animations can be done at all. Unfortunately, the 2 books that I have don't explicitly talk about that, but I trust they contain how-tos about color animation just that it's called differently, pointing to effects specific to AE. Will definitely scour the site you recommended.

Thanks again, S.

• 3. Re: Can colors be animated in AE?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

First off: You really need to look at a few basic tutorials and straighten out your terminology. I'm sure most of what you want to know is in those books, you just don't find it because you are thinking in Flash terms. anyway, let's see what we have here:

I worked in Flash where colors can be animated very easily, that is change in real time. Can this be done in AE or it's only static color manipulation, i.e. color correction?

Colors can be animated like any other property in AE, assuming they provide a color picker effects control element with a stopwatch. This inludes color properties of shape layers, any such properties in effects, color text animators and what have you. Again, you need to completely empty your head from all that Flash stuff - in AE, you need to enable keyframing for properties explicitly before you can actually animate them. Furthermore, there is no global color palette - colors are always bound to the property/ or effect they are contained in, hence there is no global color picker/ swatch as in Flash. Would be nice to see this one day, but not yet.

Another one, in Flash one can do shape change via shape tweening. For example, letters (after breaking them up and turning them into symbols) could change into shapes during animation. Can this be done in AE?

You can animate mask and shape layer paths by enabling their respective path shape properties for animation. Text can be converted to such outlines at any time using the respective commands from the layer menu.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can colors be animated in AE?
                sylva1 Level 1

Thank you, Milenium.

My questions stem from being a beginner at AE. As I stated in one of my writings above, I am NOT expecting to either work the same way and with the same means, neither am I expecting to use the same terminology in AE. It's college course requirements, ie project deadline, that drives me to ask these kinds of questions. Come summer when I won't take courses, I'll get kneedeep into the books and down to business with AE.

Thanks again, S.