8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2017 9:10 AM by Dave LaRonde

Problem - Images appear stretched when imported

AspiringDIV Level 1

Hi guys,

Am just getting my head around AE so apologies if this seems rather n00b... I've had a good read around but simply can't find out what I'm doing wrong here...

I have setup a new composition which is HDV 1080 25 and 1440px X 1080px, 25fps, which matches some video footage I'll be importing. Okay so far!

The problem I'm having is that when I import images (from PS or Illustrator for example), they are loosing their aspect ratio and appear too tall. I can stretch them out horizonally a bit, but this obviously isn't best practice.

Could it be something to do with 4:3 / 16:9 settings somewhere? FYI the images are importing about 33% stretched. I have checked the composition settings and tried unticking 'lock aspect ratio 4:3 (1.33)' but this doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance all

EDIT: Sorry forgot to mention, in composition settings I've now changed the Pixel Aspect Ratio to 'Square Pixels' and the images are importing as they should be now. However, this means that my 16:9 video footage is now too wide for the compostion and now stretches horizontally beyond the canvas. How on earth do I bridge the gap to ensure both video and images appear as they should do? Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Problem - Images appear stretched when imported
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

FYI the images are importing about 33% stretched.

Utterly correct - your PS square pixels are conformed to fit into the smaller pixel raster.

EDIT: Sorry forgot to mention, in composition settings I've now changed the Pixel Aspect Ratio to 'Square Pixels'

Don't! It's wrong. I suggest you read up on pixel aspect ratios and pixel aspect ratio correction for comp previews in the online help as well as how that "native" PAR stuff can be nested in "square equivalent" comps and vice versa. What you currently do will only result in incorrect rendering or poor quality - now your PSDs look fine, but the video footage will be incorrectly stretched. If you are interested in working with square pixels, simply use a 1920x1080 comp.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Problem - Images appear stretched when imported
            AspiringDIV Level 1

Hi M,

Many thanks for your insight.

I've just had a quick read based upon your advice and think I may have found the solution already...

I've kept the composition canvas at 1440x1080 so that the video slots in perfectly. I've then imported my image and then right clicked > Interpet footage > Main and then chose the Pixel Aspct Ratio of 1.33.

The images now look spot on in my composition... and I hope that sounds like the correct process to you?!

Thanks again

EDIT: Hmm that didn't work when I rendered... the image appeared stretched incorrectly as you suggested might happen :s

• 3. Re: Problem - Images appear stretched when imported
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Exactly! You need to wrap around your head around the concept - your HDV footage is squeezed horizontally because it uses 1440 pixels solely on the fact, that when this was designed a few years, it needed to be compatible with conventional HD. Thus, when later the footage is played in a square pixel device, it is resampled so that each of those 1440 pixels occupies 1.33 square pixels. If you will, it's signal processing trickery and does not have any direct relation to compositing. Similar analogies apply to the even older PAL/ NTSC standards and some other formats. Therefore, what you essentially will want is to either conform your square pixels to the squeezed format by downsampling it (scaling it horizonatlly) or do the reverse, where you resample your anamorphic pixels to square pixel data for further processing and that can be done most easily by working in a full HD comp as I already mentioned.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Problem - Images appear stretched when imported
                arcomfenix Level 1

Hi,

Under view menu In View options (CTRL+ALT+U) you find the chance to choose PIXEL ASPECT RATIO CORRECTION.

It shows you the images in correct proportion.

3 people found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Problem - Images appear stretched when imported
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

... but since you're working in After Effects, I don't recommend working in 1440x1080.  Instead, use 1920x1080.

I'd look up the term, "pixel aspect ratio".  Your footage uses it-- it's a cheat to cut down on file size.  The footage will fit just fine in a 1920x1080 comp because AE knows about such footage, and stretches it accordingly.  And by working in a square-pixel 1920x1080 comp, you make your life a LOT easier.

And here's another term you're sure to encounter, and need to look up: "interlacing".

• 7. Re: Problem - Images appear stretched when imported
                    daliay75302590 Level 1

Hi everyone, I have a the same problem, I'am doing a video, 720x480 NTSC MPG2 29.97fps.. so I set up illustrator art-boards at 420x480 too, however when it came to placing them in after effects the illustrator files are wider, if i stretch it back to the after effects composition, it looks fine, but when I render it as NTSC DV its squashed.

the only way I got around it was to just work with streached files in after effect and when I render the composition as NTSC DV MPG2 the video footage goes to original

I think i get why this is happening as illustrator pixels are square but NTSC DV pixels are 1.33 wide therefore it makes my illustrator files wider, however is there a better practice , Can I, for example make the illustrator file the same pixel size as NTSC in illustrator, so when im importing it does not stretch image?

PLEASE HELP

• 8. Re: Problem - Images appear stretched when imported
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

NTSC DV Square Pixels Comp Preset.