4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2011 8:29 AM by Karel Bata

Why am I getting only thousands of colors?

Karel Bata Level 1

I've created something in Particular in stereo 3D. It looks good (if i say so myself!) and I decided the best workflow was to render left and right seperately and sort out convergence issues later.

My preferrred format would have been JPEG2000, but that's not offered by Media Encoder CS5, so I opted for animation. To my surprise (and after 26 hours of rendering!) I've only got thousands of colors.

The project is set to 16 bit. Is that the problem..?

Cheers!

• 1. Re: Why am I getting only thousands of colors?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The Animation CoDec is 8bit and has never been anything else as are most other QT CoDecs, especially on the PC side. Furthermore, QT-specific CoDec settings may reduce the color ranges even more (as there is a special 256color and greyscale mode in the Animation CoDec). Or in other words: There is no native 16bit capable CoDec in QT for PC.  You'd eitehr have to install DNxHD and use that or buy a commercial CoDec or simply settle for image sequences. For everything else check your render panel and whether it's set to Trillions of Colors properly.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Why am I getting only thousands of colors?
            Karel Bata Level 1

Ah. Thanks.

So what setting should I use to get an image sequence of max quality? Go for a TIFF sequence? Seem a bit clumsy.

• 3. Re: Why am I getting only thousands of colors?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Are we entering the old "intermediate" vs. "final delivery" debate again? If so, please search this forum (via Google et al). I think we have explained a bazillion times why H.264 is only for output and why any footage that is meant to be processed further shoudl be as little compressed/ reduced in fidelity as possibly. So for what it's worth, 16bit TIFFs may be "clumsy", but if you apply further adjustments e.g. in your edit program, it would be a proper acceptable intermediate point. You realyl have to decide what is important here. If you are just interested in playing your footage on device X, then compressed formats like H.264 or WMV are commonly accepted, even if they are all 8bit. Still, in particular the latter is really a moot point, as most LCDs that people use these days are still only 8bit/6bit, anyway. They just use specific dithering and tonal adjustments to disguise that fact. So unless you have a true 10/12bit, super expensive LCD, producing a final delivery in 16bit would be wasted effort, but naturally the benefits of enhanced headroom for color correction etc. make it a worthwile option for transferring pixels from program A to program B....

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why am I getting only thousands of colors?
                Karel Bata Level 1

Ah my bad. I thought I'd been clear that I was thinking in terms of an intermediate. TIFFs it is then.

Thanks again Mylenium.