10 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2011 9:07 AM by the_wine_snob

Two weeks work wiped out?

film418 Level 1

Opened a Ppro CS5 project that I have been working on for two weeks and it refuses to load. I get this message: "Project could not be loaded or may be damaged  or contain outdated elements."

I've tried importing it into another project and get the same message. I tried to open it in After Effects and I get this message "After Effects warning: A null interface pointer has been dereferenced."

I have no clue. Am I going to lose two weeks worth of grinding work? (The project was being assembled using Cneform from Red camera and P2 HD footage)

If anybody can help, I promise to start going to church.

• 1. Re: Two weeks work wiped out?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

If you have Auto-Save enabled, did you try one of those versions?

• 2. Re: Two weeks work wiped out?
            {KMS} Level 2

Sometimes it works to import your existing project file into a new blank project.

• 3. Re: Two weeks work wiped out?
              film418 Level 1

I have auto save enabled but the only files I find are cfa files which apparently are audio only. Hmmm? I will keep looking to see if I missed them somehow, but in the meantime no luck with anything.

• 4. Re: Two weeks work wiped out?
                Colin Brougham Level 6

In the folder where your original (now busted) project is saved should be a folder called "Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save." In it should be all the automatically-generated backup copies of your project, as many and timestamped in the interval specified in the Auto-Save settings. The auto-saves are incrementally numbered, so work backward from the latest to the earliest until you find one that works. I suggest making copies of those somewhere save before beginning to open them.

• 5. Re: Two weeks work wiped out?
                  digitlman Level 1

i have had a few projects recently with that same error, just the corrupted part, not anything about outdated elements.

Then it happened again this morning. A project i saved last night before leaving, came back in this morning and it simply wont load and just says it is corrupted.

Luckily my autosave file loaded in fine so i did not lose it. If i drop the "bad" project into notepad it is blank. the file size is still 750KB but it appears to be blank data. I did look with a hex editor but im guessing it is all %20 space characters.

this is the 3rd time i have had to recover and re-save this project. Kind of scary...

• 6. Re: Two weeks work wiped out?
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

If you can reliably reproduce that (which, of course, you really don't want to ), that would be something definitely worthy of a bug report. I haven't had a corrupted project in awhile (not since CS4, at least), but we get reports of it happening every now and then here on the forum. Maybe there is a common thread that is the source of this--certainly would be a great bug to squash into oblivion.

• 7. Re: Two weeks work wiped out?
                      film418 Level 1

Success! Thanks for hanging in with me Colin. Your directions on finding the auto saved file for the project made the difference.

I looked everywhere, but in the same folder as the original corrupted file. Why I don't know, but at least I've learned a valuable lesson. Thanks again.

• 8. Re: Two weeks work wiped out?
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

*phew*

Glad that saved your bacon. Whether it was something in your project specifically or a phantom issue with Premiere that caused this, it's hard to say--but I think a good move would be to periodically use the Save a Copy command to put a backup of your project in another secure location. Hopefully, the issue won't be encountered again, either on this project or future ones, but you can never be too safe...

Now, get to back to work

• 9. Re: Two weeks work wiped out?
                          pjbarbour Level 1

I get the same error message when opening up a project.  The project was created on a MacBookPro using Premiere CS5.  There are no After Effects, or other plugins applied in this project.  It's a very simple project.  When trying to open the project on Mac Pro Desktop, using Premiere CS5, I get the same error message.  The project and all of its files are sitting on an external firewire 800 Lacie hard drive.  I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.  Any ideas????

• 10. Re: Two weeks work wiped out?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

This PrPro-Wiki FAQ Entry has some tips for recovering a corrupt Project. Not sure if anyone has updated it for CS5/5.5, but the steps should be about the same, as with CS4, when it was written.

In addition, there might be some useful tips in this ARTICLE on the Project files, and on the types of Save.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for the external, the most common issue is the OS's assignment of different drive letters, unless set. However, I do not believe that this is an issue on a Mac, and is related only to Windows.