4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2011 11:44 AM by MarieMeyer

The Mac DigitalColor Meter

MarieMeyer Level 1

Does anyone happen to know a bit about the functioning of the DigitalColor Meter utility in Mac OS X?  Lets say I've got a color I defined in LAB in InDesign or or Illustrator as L50 A50 B50, but I'm looking at it on a monitor that isn't calibrated and is way off. Is the DigitalColor Meter giving me the reading of what I intended in the design (in this case, 50 50 50) or is it giving me the reading of the inaccurate rendition on my monitor?

• 1. Re: The Mac DigitalColor Meter
          Level 4

In my personal experience, the Apple Digital Color Meter is unreliable.  It has been broken for years.

That said, the answer to your question is that it's reading —or attempting to read— what is displayed on the screen, but it does not use a hardware colorimeter, obviously, so it's a mystery where it gets its figures.

Rely on the readings in Photoshop.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Message was edited by: Tai Lao

• 2. Re: The Mac DigitalColor Meter
            Level 4

Please note that I edited my last post by adding one sentence.

• 3. Re: The Mac DigitalColor Meter
              thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Tai Lao wrote:

In my personal experience, the Apple Digital Color Meter is unreliable.  It has been broken for years.

Can you clarify how and where?

When I set sample points on an image (MacBeth), ask for Lab values for the document in CS5, then place the ADC over those patches and ask for Lab, I get matching values within rounding of decimals. Its pretty spot on.

RGB as Actual values (through presumably the display profile), not even close. Convert the document to the display profile, they match again in RGB as Actual.

Yes I agree, its a mystery where it gets the values.

• 4. Re: The Mac DigitalColor Meter
                MarieMeyer Level 1

I also find it to be very accurate, reading LAB values on a calibrated monitor. I have not tried it for anything else.