3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2007 10:37 AM by Newsgroup_User

Flex Builder is Expensive!

xwisdom Level 1
      I've just checked out the cost for Flex 2 and the Charting component and must say that the Flex Builder is really expensive.

I've also looked at ASP.Net and must say that it's a bit cheaper to develope RIA apps in .NET at least I can get Visual Web Developer for free to kick start development and when I'm ready I can move up to the standard or the pro version.

It also would appear that Flex Build can't be used in schools due to it's cost.
        • 1. Re: Flex Builder is Expensive!
          JenLarkin Level 1
          Wow, should I mark this as a troll already?

You can write the code in anything and the charting component costs extra over flex builder.

There is educational pricing and the way that Adobe does educational pricing, you can continue to use the product, even professionally, after you leave school. So yes, it can be used in schools due to its cost. You appear to be basing the educational license cost on the non-educational license cost.

You can't build cross platform RIAs with anything made by Microsoft and you certainly can't build cross-platform RIA desktop apps with anything by Microsofdt. Flash Player 9 has been out longer than Silverlight has been in beta. NINE cross-platform vs. BETA Windows only. Hello?

Thanks for the FUD to debunk.
          • 2. Re: Flex Builder is Expensive!
            xwisdom Level 1
            So because I made a comparison between cost of Flex and Visual Studio I'm now seen as a troll? Get real!

Flex Builder is a great program but I think if it's cost is outside the reach of schools and most developers then how will it be widely used? Maybe there should be a lite version of the Flex Builder that makes it easy for new comers to grasp Flex and how to build desktop apps with AIR. Microsoft did this with Visual Basic and it was a great success.

Btw, thanks for your explanation of the educational pricing
            • 3. Re: Flex Builder is Expensive!
              Level 7

"xwisdom" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:f5bn2f$e0h$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > So because I made a comparison between cost of Flex and Visual Studio I'm
              > now
              > seen as a troll? Get real!
              >
              > Flex Builder is a great program but I think if it's cost is outside the
              > reach
              > of schools and most developers then how will it be widely used? Maybe
              > there
              > should be a lite version of the Flex Builder that makes it easy for new
              > comers
              > to grasp Flex and how to build desktop apps with AIR. Microsoft did this
              > with
              > Visual Basic and it was a great success.

I don't think that Flex will be out of the reach of developers who do this
              type of work. A copy of Flex should be less than a day's pay for someone
              doing comparable work in other tools. Regardless, you can get free command
              line compilers, if you balk at the cost of the Builder tool...