9 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2011 7:12 PM by JulesN

Which pages are linked to which templates

JulesN Level 2

I have a site which is quite large.  I use 11 different templates on this site.  Is there any way to see a list of which pages link to which template?  I know you can see the list when you update a template, but I need to see them without having to open up every single page to see.

Thanks!

Jules

• 1. Re: Which pages are linked to which templates
          Brad Lawryk Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Jules,

That is a VERY good question! I don't believe there is a built in way to do this. I am suprised this hasn't come up before and I am going to suggest it as a feature suggestion.

However, I did find a temporary work around although not ideal.

Go to:

Edit => Find and Replace =>

Enter in the file name of a template and

Find in: Entire Current Local Site
          Search: Source Code

Enter in the file name of a template and click 'Find All'

You will then get a list of all the files that are linked to that template.

Not ideal, I know ... but it is quick .... very good question though. I will keep looking to see if there is a better solution.

Brad Lawryk

Adobe Community Professional: Dreamweaver

Northern British Columbia Adobe Usergroup: Manager

Thompson Rivers University: Dreamweaver Instructor

My Adobe Blog: http://blog.lawryk.com

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Which pages are linked to which templates
            John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am suprised this hasn't come up before and I am going to suggest it as a feature suggestion.

I suspect that's because those people who do use templates only use one template for their sites.

I'm wondering why 11 templates are required.

• 3. Re: Which pages are linked to which templates
              Brad Lawryk Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the past, when I did use templates, I have used as many as four, at least thats the most I remember.

Usual reason to require more than one is that on a large site you may have different layouts such as one column, two column, three column, different colour schemes, etc.

Brad Lawryk

Adobe Community Professional: Dreamweaver

Northern British Columbia Adobe Usergroup: Manager

Thompson Rivers University: Dreamweaver Instructor

My Adobe Blog: http://blog.lawryk.com

• 4. Re: Which pages are linked to which templates
                JulesN Level 2

Thanks so much for your work around.  I will give it a try!

The reason that I have 11 templates is that some of them contain slideshows.  Some of those slideshows are different on different sections of the site.  I also have a template that is a different set of colours altogether.  Also, a few of them contain embedded facebook. So you're right about that.  One of the reasons that I ran into this problem in the first place, was that when I was initially designing the site, and setting up templates, the client kept changing her mind about the layout.  I have a few templates kicking around in there that I could probably get rid of.  I couldn't see what pages were linked to the templates.  Here lies the problem!

• 5. Re: Which pages are linked to which templates
                  JulesN Level 2

I'm wondering why 11 templates are required.

I dont' think I've ever used only one template in a site.  If I add different elements that a client wants repeated on only certain pages, then I build a template for that element.  I think this is part of what templates are handy for!  I actually started using more than one template from a course on www.lynda.com

If I have an "element" in a site that doesn't change throughout, then I add a library item, so that the element updates on all the templates that it is added to.

I think you'd be surprised at how many use more than one template! 

• 6. Re: Which pages are linked to which templates
                    JulesN Level 2

Go to:

Edit => Find and Replace =>

Enter in the file name of a template and

Find in: Entire Current Local Site
                    Search: Source Code

Enter in the file name of a template and click 'Find All'

So, this works pretty good.  I used it on several templates.  Nice to see that two templates can already be deleted as they aren't in use by any pages!  The only thing is, when I use the find and replace, my Mac doesn't remember the last settings as my PC did.  So if I'm not extremely careful, I might be getting rid of templates that I need.  Thank God, I back up all my work! 

Also, "match case" was checked off by default, which I thought wouldn't be an issue, but when I copied and pasted the filename in of the template and that was checked, it wouldn't find the files.  Unchecked, it worked fantastic. 

So, to summarize, it works well, but one has to be diligent that the correct features are chosen!

Thanks again.

• 7. Re: Which pages are linked to which templates
                      John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I dont' think I've ever used only one template in a site.  If I add different elements that a client wants repeated on only certain pages, then I build a template for that element.  I think this is part of what templates are handy for!  I actually started using more than one template from a course on www.lynda.com

If I have an "element" in a site that doesn't change throughout, then I add a library item, so that the element updates on all the templates that it is added to.

I think you'd be surprised at how many use more than one template!

Perhaps but I don't really understand why people still use Library Items and Templates at all.

Templates and library items are both local site management tools. i.e. you update the template then DW updates all child pages. As a separate step you must then upload all changed pages to the web (could be 100s).

In addition, you can really only update the site from one or two computers which have DW installed.

This got old very quickly for me to the point where I rarely updated my sites for the very reasons that you're encountering.

To my mind, multiple templates merely complicate an already tedious maintenance procedure.

I dispensed with Templates and Library Items several years ago in favour of Server Side Includes. Much easier to update entire sites quickly that way from any computer.

Some people seem to like mixing Templates with Server Side Includes so that they rarely, if ever, have to update the Template. Not something I've ever found attractive but I can see the appeal.

• 8. Re: Which pages are linked to which templates
                        mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

Usual reason to require more than one is that on a large site you may have different layouts such as one column, two column, three column, different colour schemes, etc.

And Also different Navigation panel to facilitate navigating to pages that can't be shown on every pages especially in a dynamic website.

• 9. Re: Which pages are linked to which templates
                          JulesN Level 2

Thank you for that input!  I actually have a "differently styled" navigation on one page of the aforementioned site.  I would imagine that I would still use the template feature if I was to use server side includes.