11 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2011 1:22 AM by Harm Millaard

Internal or external raid

kmaultsby@live.com Level 1

I have a Cooler Master Full tower case and I have seven hard  drive in it total, and it has four large fans so I don't think cooling  will be a problem.  I going to use four drives  for raid.  I was  thinking of purchasing a internal raid controller and set it up as a  raid 5. Or is it better to use  an external hard drive case? I will not be moving from computer.

• 1. Re: Internal or external raid
          JEShort01 Level 4

Internal sounds like a great plan for your system; less expense, less connectors (vs. external solutions) to cause issues, and the case you have already sounds up to the job!

• 2. Re: Internal or external raid
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Internal raid is far easier and less expensive. A big tower can easily hold 8 or more disks, especially if you use drive cages from Supermicro or Chenbo. I currently have 17 disks and 2 BRD burners internally with room for 2 more disks.

• 3. Re: Internal or external raid

"Quote: I currently have 17 disks and 2 BRD burners internally with room for 2 more disks"

WOW! That's a lot.  What is the size of your power supply?  Any recommendation on controller that our not too expensive?

• 4. Re: Internal or external raid
                Harm Millaard Level 7

My PSU is borderline, it is only 1000 W and 1200 would have been better, but was not yet available when I built this system. I currently have an Areca ARC-1680iX-12 with BBU and 2 GB cache, but may need a new server in the near future (the current one is getting pretty old) and am considering to move my Areca card to this new server and getting an Areca ARC-1880iX-24 with BBU and 4 GB cache for my video system. Not exactly cheap, but a fabulous card that lasts a very long time. Unless of course Areca plans to introduce a new line of controllers with PCIe 3.0 capability, that one may expect to coincide with the introduction of the Sandy Bridge E line of CPU's in Q3/Q4. I have asked them about their plans, but have not yet received an answer.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Internal or external raid

Thanks for all your help.

• 6. Re: Internal or external raid

Harm I got a 3ware 9690SA-4I Storage controller (RAID)

Here are the specs:

Controller Interface Type                                             Serial ATA-300 / SASData

Transfer Rate                                                                                     300 MBps

Buffer Size                                                                                           512 MB

Supported Devices                                                                          Hard drive, disk array (RAID)

Channel Qty                                                                                       4

Max Storage Devices Qty                                                             128

RAID Level                                                          RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10, RAID 50

Compatible Slots1 x PCI Express x8 - low-profileBottom of Form

With four 1TB drives what raid should I use with this card Raid 6, 10, or 50?

• 7. Re: Internal or external raid
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

With 4 disks, use raid5. It gives the best speed/storage balance while giving you redundancy in case of disk failure.

As a very rough indication of performance and net storage space in comparison to a single disk, this is what you will get from each raid, assuming 4 disks:

Raid0: Speed around 380%, storage 4 TB, no redundancy, no safety

Raid5: Speed around 270%, storage 3 TB

Raid6: Speed around 170%, storage 2 TB

Raid10: Speed around 190%, storage 2 TB

Raid50/60 is not possible with this limited number of disks. Raid1 only applies to two disks.

These are very rough indications of speed gains and depend very much on the IOP on the controller and the driver, but should be accurate enough to give you a feeling of what to expect, but please don't hold it against me if I'm off by a couple of % points.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Internal or external raid

Thanks again for the advice.

• 9. Re: Internal or external raid
                          Rishaar

Harm, i have a question: do you use 2 separate machines ? (1 server for your Areca rig connected to your NLE machine )

I'm thinking of upgrading to an Areca configuration some day but wonder how you use yours

BTW thank you for the amazing advices you always give on the disks setup !!!

Cheers

• 10. Re: Internal or external raid
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

I have a video machine, which is limited by the 12 port Areca controller. The servers are all Dell dual Xeons with Cerc controllers.

Network setup.png

In addition there is a 7 x 1.5 TB disk Thecus NAS in raid6 for backups. Server 1 and 2 are synchronized daily over VPN. Server 3 is a testing server for VMWare.

• 11. Re: Internal or external raid
                              Rishaar Level 1

Thank you for your answer !

And wow, that's some setup you have there !!!