2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2006 4:01 PM by CSI_Bruce

Rookie Probs

rayzzz
      Hi All,
      I've just downloaded a demo version of Dreamweaver and have been going through the tutorial. After having gone through it a number of times and trying different things I find that there are a lot of documents, (or files...I'm not to sure of the terminology), under the 'Open a Recent Item' on the startup page. How do I get rid of these. I can click on them and some will open up and some won't. I can't seem to find the files that these docs are linking to on the hard drive. How do I delete these files? Does Dreamweaver create files that are invsible when it make a new doc? Can I access these?

I would like to impose on the general knowledge that's out there about why I am interested in Dreamweaver to begin with. I am searching for a tool that will validate Word docs to be used in the production of DAISY (Digital Audio Information SYstem) books for the visually impaired and blind students. I've tried other products, but, I understand Dreamweaver to be the "Rolls Royce" of html editors so tht's why am where I am. I need text that is validated to W3C specs. Thanks in advance for any and all help!
        • 1. Re: Rookie Probs
          Level 7
          > I would like to impose on the general knowledge that's out there about why
          > I
          > am interested in Dreamweaver to begin with. I am searching for a tool that
          > will
          > validate Word docs to be used in the production of DAISY (Digital Audio
          > Information SYstem) books for the visually impaired and blind students.
          > I've
          > tried other products, but, I understand Dreamweaver to be the "Rolls
          > Royce" of
          > html editors so tht's why am where I am. I need text that is validated to
          > W3C
          > specs. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

If you need valid HTML that is accessible, stay far, far, far away from MS
          Word. MS word is about the worst tool to get HTML from...especially if the
          files weren't created in a structured manner in the first place.

-Darrel

• 2. Re: Rookie Probs
            CSI_Bruce Level 1
            Until I started here, the whole intranet had been done in Word and FP, a complete nightmare, and I've just now started transitioning everything into pure html. The last thing I want to do is retype everything, so when I want to move something from Word to html, what I do is this:
            1. Open the document in Word
            2. Open Notepad
            3. Ctrl-A to select everything in the Word doc and Ctrl-C to copy everything to my clipboard
            4. Ctrl-V to paste everything into Notepad
            5. Repeat steps 3 and 4, but this time copy everything from Notepad and paste it into DW
            6. Add any formatting (bold, italics, etc) in DW

While you can open a document in Word and save as a filtered web page, which MS claims strips out the Word formatting, I've never trusted it. Notepad never fails at stripping all that stuff out.