7 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2011 10:31 PM by Nomicks

Director 11.5 Render Glitch with Flash Member

Nomicks

Hello, I've been using Director for 4 years now and since version 11 and 11.5 all Flash Member containing Blending options or Filters create render error in Driector and Display weirdly. Also Stacking Flash Member containing PNG 24 with transparency creates a Render Glitch that flickers. And the locZ and the transparency of the Sprite seem's to flicker sometime when the screen is redrawn.

Any body had that render bug?.... I wasted alot of production hour on it and the only thing I found for problem one (Blending and Filters in Flash) is to avoid using them systematicaly. It's a shame because it worked perfectly in Director MX 2004.

The transparency bug is new to 11.5 and it shows up when you stack Flash member over other Sprites.

• 1. Re: Director 11.5 Render Glitch with Flash Member
          Nomicks Level 1

Oh yes... the transparency Bug happens when you stack 2 to 3 or more Flash Sprite one over the other.

• 2. Re: Director 11.5 Render Glitch with Flash Member
            jchunick Level 2

Could you upload a couple of example files illustrating the glitches?... I would be willing to submit a bug report on this if you can send the files clearly illustrating the problem, both D10 showing no glitches and D11.5 with glitches.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Director 11.5 Render Glitch with Flash Member
              Nomicks Level 1

Will see what I can do about it...

I just realise that 11.5 doesnt support Cache at Bitmap option. When its turn on a MovieClip the bug happen's.

Picture 39.png

This is with the Cache as Bitmap turn On... see how the bottom wave duplicate at the top.

This is with Cache at Bitmap turn Off (What its supposed to look like)

Picture 40.png

Same kinda bug happen's when using filters in Flash Members.

Here is the PNG 24 glitch:

First here is what it supposed to look like:

Picture 41.png

Pay attention to the drop shadow.The two "Floating Windows" Are Flash Member exported in flash 8 or 9 format. The Actual image of the windows and the drop shadow is one PNG 24 image file exported from Illustrator CS5 and imported in Flash CS5 then Exported as a SWF and Imported in Director.

Here is what the transparency glitch looks like... same file but screen capture done while its running:

Picture 42.png

Note how strong the drop shadow is now. Almost not transparent. It does the same thing also with transparent solid BG made with PNG's.

The glitch happens when the SWF are place over sprites that are programaticaly animated. Seem's it has problem rendering properly when more than 5 or 6 animated sprites overlap. Looks like when Quicktime has its DTS parameter turned on and pan the screen with the hand tool...its Flickers in the same way.

Sometimes it looks like a .locZ issue...

Also had issue with Quicktime Flickering even when DTS is turned Off.

Would you like Windows or Mac projectors for the example?

• 4. Re: Director 11.5 Render Glitch with Flash Member
                jchunick Level 2

windows projectors would work, thanks.

• 5. Re: Director 11.5 Render Glitch with Flash Member
                  Nomicks Level 1

Well I fix the the flicker by reverting to Director 11... finish wasting precious hours on a buggy point release... I dont know what you have done to the render engin but its not working for me...

• 6. Re: Director 11.5 Render Glitch with Flash Member
                    jchunick Level 2

Nomicks wrote:

Well I fix the the flicker by reverting to Director 11... finish wasting precious hours on a buggy point release... I dont know what you have done to the render engin but its not working for me...

I haven't done anything to the render engine... I'm simply trying to determine if there's a problem, what exactly the problem is and if it's replicateable then I can submit a bug report on it.

Good luck with your project. The screen shots look good and it looks like a complex app.

• 7. Re: Director 11.5 Render Glitch with Flash Member
                      Nomicks Level 1

Ok, here where I'm in the trouble shooting. I've tried a flicky player on my Mac laptop and it doesnt flicker. Both are Intel Mac and the laptop is running SnowLeopard, it doesn't do the glitch. So I figure its a weird interaction between 11.5 and and either MacOX 10.5.8. Or with my graphic card NVIDIA GeForce GT 120. The weird thing is that by reverting back to Director 11, the same player stops doing the glitch. My boss tried it also on his box and the flicker doesn't show up. (He has issue of Director being very long to boot on his machine, problem that I dont encounter....but mine jams often on save but doesnt crash like Director 11 use to do...after a good match of beach ball the app responds again to commands)

So being something as random as all directors bug are! As long as it looks good on others computor, I dont care but its still a weird glitch.

The Flicker start to occur when a large sprite is covering several other sprite and has transparancy.

Two things occurs. I can see a kind of shuffleing of the locZ and a change in the oppacity value.

And hey maybe its just some quantum errors that my field is generating! Director as always been a capricious mistress... sorry for the attititude...I'm kinda on a short deadline here. Be bether tommorrow!

Cheers