4 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2011 9:19 AM by John T Smith

New to Premiere. Need help!

roodolf2075

Hello guys, I am new to Premiere and there are some things I would like to know before I can use the program for my video business. I am currently editing in Vegas Pro. I really like Vegas, but I figured there's nothing wrong with learning Premiere as it's supposed to be 'better'. So here are some basic stuff I need to know how to do:

How do I add a track effect? For example, if I am color correcting, but I don't want to individually apply filters to every clip. It would take A LOT of time to be redooing a color correction filter for every single clip (I do music videos where there can be thousands of mini clips). So how can I just add a filter to the whole track so that every clip on that track can automatically be affected? I know it should be possible since Vegas, who's supposed to be not as good, can do it.

How do I move Video and Audio tracks? It seems that all audio tracks are at the bottom, and all video tracks are at the top. What if I want one audio track to be at the top? What if I want to put a video track between 2 audio tracks? Can audio tracks only stay at the bottom, and video tracks on top? If so why is that? What are the advantages of doing it like that?

How do I do a simple fade in/fade out without applying a transition filter?

When setting the preview resolution, it only lets me go down to 1/4 resolution. How do I go to 1/8 or 1/16?

What are some of you guys' favorite tools? Where can I learn them? What are some cool tricks or shortcuts that every Premiere editor should know?

What are some great websites where I can find free tutorials? I really want to know the basics and keep on learning. Is there like a videocopilot.net equivalent for Premiere?

Thanks for reading. Please fill me in. Thanks. As I edit there will be more questions coming up.

• 1. Re: New to Premiere. Need help!
          Jim_Simon Level 8

There are no video effects at the track level.  Only audio, and they are added via the mixer.  Video effects can only be added to individual clips.  Having said that, there are still ways to add a video effect to a whole series of clips at once.  Look up Paste Attributes and Nesting in the Help file.

You can't move tracks, only the clips on them.  Video tracks will always be above Audio tracks.  This is standard with all professional level NLEs.

The Dissolve and Audio Crossfade are the standard method of adding fades, but you can also use keyframes to opacity for video and volume for audio.  It's just more of a pain to do so, is all.

If 1/4 preview resolution still isn't sufficient for real time playback, then you need better hardware.

• 2. Re: New to Premiere. Need help!
            roodolf2075 Level 1

JSS1138 wrote:

There are no video effects at the track level.  Only audio, and they are added via the mixer.  Video effects can only be added to individual clips.  Having said that, there are still ways to add a video effect to a whole series of clips at once.  Look up Paste Attributes and Nesting in the Help file.

You can't move tracks, only the clips on them.  Video tracks will always be above Audio tracks.  This is standard with all professional level NLEs.

The Dissolve and Audio Crossfade are the standard method of adding fades, but you can also use keyframes to opacity for video and volume for audio.  It's just more of a pain to do so, is all.

If 1/4 preview resolution still isn't sufficient for real time playback, then you need better hardware.

Ok. I'll look for ways to add effects to multiple clips. Kinda sucks though there's no track effects.

1/4 works when there are no effects in the clip. But as soon as I add an effect it will jump. This wouldn't be a problem had Premiere had a RAM preview, but it doesn't. Since I don't have the required video card I guess I'm pretty much screwed. I wanna learn Premiere and hopefully I like it enough to buy a better PC, but so far it seems you have to do twice the work for every simple thing. Thanks for the reply. I have a music video coming, and I'll edit it in Premiere since I learn better if I actually do a project with a software. I'll post my questions here as they come along.

BTW how do I add a blending mode (add, screen etc) to a clip?

• 3. Re: New to Premiere. Need help!
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> BTW how do I add a blending mode (add, screen etc) to a clip?

See this page.

> Ok. I'll look for ways to add effects to multiple clips. Kinda sucks though there's no track effects.

Don't ignore the suggestion made regarding nesting. You can nest the clips into a sequence and then apply the effect to the whole nested sequence.

• 4. Re: New to Premiere. Need help!
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Save the PDF manuals to your hard drive for easy searching

CS5 User Guides - online and PDF (see link in upper right corner at individual pages)
                http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/08/help-documents-for-creative-suite-5-pdf -and-html.html