5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2007 10:44 AM by mkwilson68

FW CS3 reliability

mkwilson68
      Hi all
      I run a large interactive design studio, and our entire design workflow is based in fireworks (studio 8 version) on OS X. The product is basically excellent for what we need (layouts of large, complex websites) but it has always been buggy (is anyone brave enough to do an undo?).

I've been reading lots about the overall reliability of FW CS3, and some comments about performance, and it seems that FW may have got the bum end of the deal again when it comes to QA. Is this the experience that you have found in practice? I'm particularly looking for any insight on opening and using large, complex, multi-frame files (up to 50 frames).

Upgrading is a big issue for us - we would literally be paralysed if CS3 does not perform well, and while I hope Adobe has done a decent job, I get the impression that PS, AI and ID were the much loved children and FW in particular was sent to boarding school overseas ;)

Any help or info very gratefully received, thanks!
        • 1. Re: FW CS3 reliability
          Level 7
          I'd recommend downloading the trial and running it on a couple systems.
          Put a couple of your more complex designs through the wringer. See if it
          meets your needs. With the new pages feature, you may not need frames do
          do as much of the heavy lifting anymore.

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          Extending Knowledge, Daily
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

mkwilson68 wrote:
          > Hi all
          > I run a large interactive design studio, and our entire design workflow is
          > based in fireworks (studio 8 version) on OS X. The product is basically
          > excellent for what we need (layouts of large, complex websites) but it has
          > always been buggy (is anyone brave enough to do an undo?).
          >
          > I've been reading lots about the overall reliability of FW CS3, and some
          > comments about performance, and it seems that FW may have got the bum end of
          > the deal again when it comes to QA. Is this the experience that you have found
          > in practice? I'm particularly looking for any insight on opening and using
          > large, complex, multi-frame files (up to 50 frames).
          >
          > Upgrading is a big issue for us - we would literally be paralysed if CS3 does
          > not perform well, and while I hope Adobe has done a decent job, I get the
          > impression that PS, AI and ID were the much loved children and FW in particular
          > was sent to boarding school overseas ;)
          >
          > Any help or info very gratefully received, thanks!
          >
          • 2. Re: FW CS3 reliability
            mkwilson68 Level 1
            Thanks - should we install on a clean system? There seem to have been lots of issues installing cs3 over cs2... I guess the concern is that some issues are hard to identify until you have used the app for a prolonged period - e.g. memory leaks.

Also, is there any way to migrate frames into pages?
            • 3. Re: FW CS3 reliability
              Level 7
              mkwilson68 wrote:
              > Thanks - should we install on a clean system? There seem to have been lots of
              > issues installing cs3 over cs2... I guess the concern is that some issues are
              > hard to identify until you have used the app for a prolonged period - e.g.
              > memory leaks.
              >
              > Also, is there any way to migrate frames into pages?
              >

Well a clean system never hurt . . .

Remember though you are not installing CS3 over CS2. It all gets
              installed in its own subfolder. So technically, Studio 8 and CS2 remain
              unaffected and could still run. I had them both installed for a goodly
              amount of time, until I was sure CS3 wasn't going to cause me any major
              grief. Plus, I wanted to move over all my custom commands and plug-ins,
              including my trusty Pshop 5.5 filters.

I know there were issues if you had ANY Adobe beta software installed. I
              did not experience any problems on my pc (XP2) because of CS2. I haven't
              noticed the memory leak but maybe I'm not enough of a power user to see
              it. I have FW open for hours at a time, usually.

I'm sure I heard of an extension to convert frames to pages. Let me dig
              a bit.

--
              ---
              • 4. Re: FW CS3 reliability
                Level 7
                Found it - and more!

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/?navID=downloads

John Dunning has put a bunch of FW CS3 extensions on the FIreworks Dev
                Center. Check them out.

Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:. wrote:
                > mkwilson68 wrote:
                >> Thanks - should we install on a clean system? There seem to have been
                >> lots of issues installing cs3 over cs2... I guess the concern is that
                >> some issues are hard to identify until you have used the app for a
                >> prolonged period - e.g. memory leaks.
                >>
                >> Also, is there any way to migrate frames into pages?
                >>
                >
                > Well a clean system never hurt . . .
                >
                > Remember though you are not installing CS3 over CS2. It all gets
                > installed in its own subfolder. So technically, Studio 8 and CS2 remain
                > unaffected and could still run. I had them both installed for a goodly
                > amount of time, until I was sure CS3 wasn't going to cause me any major
                > grief. Plus, I wanted to move over all my custom commands and plug-ins,
                > including my trusty Pshop 5.5 filters.
                >
                > I know there were issues if you had ANY Adobe beta software installed. I
                > did not experience any problems on my pc (XP2) because of CS2. I haven't
                > noticed the memory leak but maybe I'm not enough of a power user to see
                > it. I have FW open for hours at a time, usually.
                >
                > I'm sure I heard of an extension to convert frames to pages. Let me dig
                > a bit.
                >

--
                ---
                • 5. Re: FW CS3 reliability
                  mkwilson68 Level 1
                  Thanks - I'll go through them and do some tests.

I'd still like to hear from other users too - anyone have any experiences to share?