11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2017 12:08 AM by Roei Tzoref

How to paint-in visibility of a layer

geoff tompkinson

I recently upgraded to cs5 after effects after years of using earlier versions.

It is a normal part of my working procedure to use a white solid layer as a track matte in order to reveal or hide the layer beneath
      it by painting in the invisible solid layer with Vector paint in the composition window.

This means I can paint directly over the underlying image and brush-in the visibilty of the hidden layer.

How do I achieve this now that vector paint has gone and the ability to paint in the composition window is also gone?

It is no use to me to have to paint in a layer window when I cannot see the underlying layer beneath my paint strokes.

How do I achieve this basic requirement?

Thanks for any responses

Geoff

• 1. Re: How to paint-in visibility of a layer
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can use the paint tool then spin down the options in the timeline panel. There you can animate the start and end point, diameter, set the paint to alpha only. It's a powerful and easy to use tool. You can even have more than one brush on a layer.

• 2. Re: How to paint-in visibility of a layer
            geoff tompkinson Level 1

Hi Rick

How does that help me to see the underlying layer directly beneath my paint strokes as I paint in an invisible layer?

It seems to me that I am still having to paint in a seperate layer window., and can only see the underlying image in an adjacent comp window.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

• 3. Re: How to paint-in visibility of a layer

If you need to see what you're painting on why not just duplicate the underlying layer then paint on that? You can then either use the painted on copy of your layer as a track matte for the solid white layer or you can replace the duplicated layer with a white solid by selecting the layer in the timeline and then selecting a white solid in the Project panel and alt/option dragging it to the timeline.

There are a bunch of options for the paint tool including paint on transparent, Alpha only, RGB only.  This just made me think of another option. You could choose a white brush and RGB only. Then you paint on your footage and time reverse the keyframes.

• 4. Re: How to paint-in visibility of a layer
                geoff tompkinson Level 1

Hi Rick,

Many thanks for trying to help me here.

I don't need to see the layer i am painting on, i need to see the underlying layer.

If for instance i have an adjustment layer with say curves applied to it. I want to be able to brush in and out that effect to the underlying layers and see the result as i paint.

This is a pretty basic requirement that has been easy in all versions of ae up to the current version, by simply painting in a white solid track matte layer in the comp window so you can see all layers beneath being affected in realtime as you paint.

How do i do this now that painting on a layer in the comp window is no longer possible?

• 5. Re: How to paint-in visibility of a layer
                  scattar Level 1

Thought I'd give this a bump as it's about time it was addressed. I was painting on a luma matte layer today to fill in a few holes left by a keyer and it's a lot more time consuming and a lot less accurate having to paint blind on a black and white layer than it would be to paint on the layer in the composition window. This is such a basic feature request - why has it not been implemented yet?

• 6. Re: How to paint-in visibility of a layer
                    JamesCurle Level 1

Another bump. I, too, would like it to be such that I don't have to paint on a blank layer or paint in the layer panel and see the results in a panel off to the side. This is a classic example of a feature in AE that wasn't broke but was "fixed."

• 8. Re: How to paint-in visibility of a layer

Let's say you want to use Paint to reveal a layer. This is the easiest option. Duplicate the layer you want to reveal, then apply paint on that layer. That way you can see exactly where all the brush strokes are going. When you have completed the painting then you check the box that says paint on transparent and use the duplicate as a track matte for the original layer. Simple as that. It looks like this:

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 7.19.55 PM.png

The other option would be to pre-compose both the layer you want to reveal and the layer you wanted to wipe away. Now you paint on the layer you want to wipe away

1 person found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: How to paint-in visibility of a layer
                        Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For those in this thread that miss features of vector paint in AE, please file detailed feature requests explaining what features of it you miss and how you would like to work.

Also, you should check out the Paint & Stick plugin. The stick part of it might not be important to you, but the painting engine it brings to AE is pretty fantastic.

• 10. Re: How to paint-in visibility of a layer
                          bnick23

Is this feature available yet? I am trying to remove intermittent film dirt using the eraser tool on a layer stacked on top of another layer offset by one frame. This is a very simple request but I can't figure it out. This works flawlessly in Photoshop but I need other AE features for this project.

• 11. Re: How to paint-in visibility of a layer
                            Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
                            I am trying to remove intermittent film dirt using the eraser tool on a layer stacked on top of another layer offset by one frame.

use the invert effect stacked on top of the paint effect and choose "alpha"