8 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2011 1:59 AM by Harm Millaard

playback lags with animation still sequences

mdharman Level 1

I am an animator and recently changed from rendering at SD (720 x 480 - 0.9) to HD 720p. I render a sequence from the 3D software for each shot. Premiere Pro CS5 almost quits when I get the sequences in. Most projects I work on are between 30 seconds and 1 minute. The image sequence are 24 bit targas (1280 x 720 - square). The machine is a new PC - Windows 7; processor Intel Core i7 quad - 2.8 gigahertz; 8 gig of ram; 300 gig hard drive; video card - nVidia GeForce GTX 470. Any ideas how I can get the playback to quit lagging?

• 1. Re: playback lags with animation still sequences
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Add at least two SATA 7200 disks and possibly increase memory to 16 GB.

• 2. Re: playback lags with animation still sequences
            mdharman Level 1

Thanks for your quick reply. The hard drive is a 300gb 7200 rpm sata drive. There is 200gb worth of free space on the hard drive. With 8 gig of RAM and 200 gb of hard disk space on a 7200 rpm sata drive, it is hard to imagine that I would need more for a one minute animated short.

• 3. Re: playback lags with animation still sequences
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Ideally you want three hard drives at a minumum - one for Windows and Programs, one for Projects and Scratch files, and one for Media.  You can always add more, but less is generally not a good idea.

• 4. Re: playback lags with animation still sequences
                Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

What are the dimensions of the stills?

• 5. Re: playback lags with animation still sequences
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Look here: Adobe Forums: System requirements for CS5

Your system is below minimum requirements.

• 6. Re: playback lags with animation still sequences
                    mdharman Level 1

As stated in the original post, I am trying to render at 720p HD (1280 x 720 square pixels). The animated shorts are one minute or less in length. Seems like Premiere Pro should be able to handle it without more hardware. It's not like I am creating an hour long documentary.

When I read through the specs, my system meets and exceeds all requirements except:

• - 7200 RPM hard drive for editing compressed video formats; RAID 0 for uncompressed.
                  • I suppose an image sequence is uncompressed and I am not running a raid0. I am running a raid for redundancy.
                  • This is actually a thirty seat school lab that I am in charge of. I am sure the school will not fund additional hardware at this time.
                  • I have a few possible options running through my mind or questions that I have.
                  • - I guess I could pull each shot (series of targas) into a sequence and render out as mpeg2, then reassemble in a new sequence.
                  • - If I partioned the hard drives, would it work like a poor man's raid0? In the past, I have partitioned a hard drive so that I could have a dedicated scratch disk for Photoshop.
                  • - When creating the sequence and looking at the presets, is it better to use the ACVHD 720p 30fps setting or the HDV 720p 30fps setting?
                  • - When I place the still sequence in the timeline, I get the yellow line meaning that I dod not need to make a preview. I was hoping there was some setting that I could just to create a preview that I could handle. When I look at the preview settings, I only have one choice: I-frame only mpeg. Why doesn't Premiere give me more options for to make a suitable preview?
                  •  

Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: playback lags with animation still sequences
                      mdharman Level 1

Okay, I think I have it figured out. I have been using Premiere for nine years. In the old days, I would import the image sequence and see the red line. I would hit "enter" and get green after the preview was made. When I switched to Premiere Pro CS4 and CS5 and went from SD to HD 720p, I started to get a yellow line. The yellow line confused me. I would hit enter and it would stay yellow (and run choppy). I thought that was the best I could get. I now see that if I select "sequence>render entire work area" from the menu, I get it to go from yellow to green after creating a real preview. That's all I need for it to play properly. Simply a matter of my ignorance. Thanks for your help.

• 8. Re: playback lags with animation still sequences
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

The problem you have, the lagging, that can only be solved by forcing a render of the timeline, is caused by lacking hardware, most notable in the disk setup. That problem will not be resolved by partitioning your disk, on the contrary, it will only increase the lagging and it will significantly increase the wear and tear of your disk.

The yellow line indicates that the timeline is of intermediate complexity and on a properly configured system will give you RT playback, but if the system is underspecced, it may not give you RT playback. This confirms that in your case your system setup can not cope with the datastream sufficiently fast to give you RT playback and why you need to force render your timeline.

With regards to partitioning, consider the situation where you need to store some stuff temporarily. The easiest and fastest way is to store that stuff in a shed in your garden. It is easily accessible and does not take much time to retrieve it. If OTOH you decide to rent storage space across town, you have to put the stuff in your car, drive across town, store it in the rented space, drive back to your home and upon needing that stuff again, that process reverses itself, drive across town, load it in your car, drive back and unload it from your car. That is what partitioning will do to your disk. Far more effort than using the shed in the back.