6 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2011 10:56 AM by Noel Carboni

Edits made in ACR not being saved in converted jpegs

mrbwicky Level 1

Hello,

Ultra newby here. Question/Problem: I have a raw file on my hardrive (Windows Vista). I right click on it and choose open with Photoshop (cs5). The file opens in ACR. I make some corrections and then click Open (not alt open or shift open). The file opens in Photoshop. If I then click on file, save as, and choose jpeg the corrections are lost. It is weird that when I save the converted file on my desktop, the little thumbnail picture looks like it has the corrections applied, but when I double click it and it opens with windows explorer or picassa the corrections are gone. What am I doing wrong? I have also tried this process but choose tiff and the same thing happens.

Thank you in advance.

Brian

• 1. Re: Edits made in ACR not being saved in converted jpegs
          Noel Carboni Level 7

Are the corrections visible in the image, as seen in Photoshop, before you save it?

I'd wager that if so, and you're finding a file on your hard drive that doesn't look like the one in Photoshop, that one of the following is true:

• It's not really the file you saved.

• You're mistaking a visible difference because of a color-management issue for the loss of the corrections.

To check the first, I suggest retrying the operation with really EXTREME corrections - stuff you can't possibly miss, like a -4 EV exposure correction - then carefully note where you saved the file.  Use Windows Explorer in Details view and confirm (by the Modification date) that the file is, in fact, the one you just saved.

If the problem is the second issue, you may be saving a file with the Adobe RGB 1998 color profile (since that's the default profile Camera Raw delivers images converted into), and are then looking at it with a viewer that's not capable of interpreting the color space.  I had thought that Windows Photo Viewer actually WAS capable, but for Vista I'm not completely sure.  As a workaround, before saving the file, try Edit - Convert to Profile, then choose sRGB IEC61966-2.1 as the Destination Space.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Edits made in ACR not being saved in converted jpegs
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When ACR adjusts a JPG it stores the adjustment "recipe" inside the JPG so if you open it up with ACR, again, it'll show the same adjustments, but the JPEG, itself, doesn't look any different, because the ACR adjustments are non-destructive.

From what you describe it sounds like you are opening the JPG in Photoshop which will have the adjustments applied to the in-memory image, but are then saving the JPG as some other name or in some other location, but still viewing the original JPG which has not been modified other than the recipe written within it and a new preview, too.  A suggestion is to not save over the top of the original JPG so you can always go back and re-adjust it, and save the adjusted JPG in a new location.  This appears to be what you're already doing, perhaps without realizing it.

Noel gives another possible scenario and a way to determine if it is the case.

• 3. Re: Edits made in ACR not being saved in converted jpegs
              Noel Carboni Level 7

ssprengel wrote:

When ACR adjusts a JPG it stores the adjustment "recipe" inside the JPG so if you open it up with ACR, again, it'll show the same adjustments, but the JPEG, itself, doesn't look any different, because the ACR adjustments are non-destructive.

Good point.

If you open a JPEG in Camera Raw, the adjustments ARE "baked in" to the pixel values of the image document as soon as it is opened into Photoshop.  Any image subsequently saved from that document will have the adjustments baked in.

As stated above, when a JPEG is opened through Camera Raw, the Camera Raw adjustments you used are stored back into the original JPEG file as metadata, but no change has actually been made to the pixels in the original JPEG - unless you do File - Save and save it back out again!

Personally, I'm not at all happy that Camera Raw actually writes metadata back to the original JPEG file, just as a result of opening it.  I think that the act of just opening a file should not cause data to be re-written back into it.  It would be far more appropriate to write the data to the same metadata sidecar file(s) or central database that's used when opening a raw file.  This is one really good reason why I never would consider using Camera Raw to open JPEG files.  I don't want my originals overwritten - ever!  But that's just me.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Edits made in ACR not being saved in converted jpegs
                areohbee Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

It would be far more appropriate to write the data to the same metadata sidecar file(s) or central database that's used when opening a raw file.  This is one really good reason why I never would consider using Camera Raw to open JPEG files.  I don't want my originals overwritten - ever!  But that's just me.

You are not alone...

-R

• 5. Re: Edits made in ACR not being saved in converted jpegs
                  mrbwicky Level 1

Thank you Noel,

Your response fixed my problem. In ACR the workflow options are set to: Space: PhotoPro rgb, Depth: 16 bit, size 3872 by 2592 (10 MP) (I have the lowly Nikon D60), and resolution: 240 pixels/inch. Opening in Photoshop and saving as a jpeg would not display the edits.

In Photoshop, I went to edit/convert to profile. The source space was set to ProPhoto rgb and the destination space was Working CMYK. As you recommended, I changed the profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and then went to file/save as and chose jpeg. When I opened the new file outside photoshop, the edits were displayed correctly.

And to the others who responded, thank you too. And just for the record, I was not opening jpeg files in ACR just raw files.

Thanks again,

Brian

• 6. Re: Edits made in ACR not being saved in converted jpegs
                    Noel Carboni Level 7

You're welcome.

As you probably know, you can change the default output space of Camera Raw so that it will emit sRGB documents directly, though in doing that there is some chance you can experience channel clipping with that technique owing to the way Camera Raw processes color spaces and out-of-gamut colors.

If it can be useful to you, I have created a free "Convert ProPhoto to sRGB" action as an alternative to Edit - Convert to Profile - sRGB that practically eliminates the possibility of clipping by "bending" the colors near the limits of the gamut:

http://noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/temp/ColorSpaceAction.zip

Right click the above, unzip, and save the .atn to your disk.

Load into Photoshop via the Actiona Palette menu, Load Actions entry.

Open a raw image into ProPhoto RGB (I recommend 16 bit), then run this action at some point after to convert the image to sRGB. I have assigned it to a function key.

Enjoy!

-Noel