2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2007 10:58 AM by BruceCSI2

Learning Actinscript for kind of a newbie

BruceCSI2 Level 1
      I've been using Flash for several years, but the only stuff I've done with Actionscript was basic. I want to start doing some more advanced things, so I'm wondering if anyone could recommend some books or other resources.
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: Learning Actinscript for kind of a newbie
          Level 7
          BruceCSI2,

> I've been using Flash for several years, but the only stuff I've
          > done with Actionscript was basic. I want to start doing some
          > more advanced things, so I'm wondering if anyone could
          > recommend some books or other resources.

This is always a good question, because the answers change over the
          years. Now, in particular, we've got a situation where Flash CS3 supports
          the "old regime" (AS1/AS2) and also the "new kid on the block" (AS3).
          Granted, AS3 is already a year old, but it's new to Flash, even if Flex
          supported it much earlier.

There are plenty of good AS2-related books on the market (lately, I've
          been recommending Peter Elst's and Todd Yard's "Object-Oriented ActionScript
          for Flash 8," and I'm always happy to recommend Colin Moock's "Essential
          ActionScript 2.0"; if you're into programmatic animation, you may want to
          check out Keith Peters' "Foundation ActionScript Animation: Making Things
          Move!"). Flash CS3 lets you configure your publish settings for
          ActionScript 2.0, and you can code along happily using "yesterday's latest."

I'm noticing that many people seem to be having a hard time with AS3.
          To be honest, that doesn't particularly come as a surprise to me, but I
          personally think the payoff (greater efficiency, if nothing else) is worth
          the higher learning curve. Partly, I suspect the learning curve *seems*
          higher than it actually is because so many developers continued on with
          AS1-style programming even during the AS2 heyday. Sure, the leap from Flash
          4- and Flash 5-era code to Flash CS3-era is staggering ... but it's not
          *so* outrageous from an AS2 standpoint, especially if a person is already
          versed in writing custom classes.

There are a handful of AS3 Flash books entering the market, but they're
          still very new. Again, AS3 itself is a year old, but AS3-in-Flash is hot
          off the press. Consider Joey Lott (I can think of two recent books of his,
          off the top of my head -- co-authorship, in this case) and Colin Moock's
          "Essential ActionScript 3.0," which should be rolling off the shelves
          shortly. Keith Peters also has an AS3 update to his programmatic animation
          book.

David Stiller
          Adobe Community Expert
          Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: Learning Actinscript for kind of a newbie
            BruceCSI2 Level 1
            Wow! Thanks for the info.