18 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2011 10:08 AM by magimaker RSS

Liquify Not working Properly

magimaker

I'm running CS5 and for some reason, the liquify feature has stopped working properly. When I go to use the feature it no longer works in real-time. If I make some adjustments and, say, use the warp tool I can't see what I'm actually doing until I accept the modification and then I see the results in the image after the liquify tool closes. I'm running 16 gb. of memory so I can't imagine it's a memory issue. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Liquify Not working Properly
          Noel Carboni Community Member

Many, many, many problems are solved by downloading and updating video drivers.

Others are solved by resetting the Photoshop preferences to defaults (Control-Shift-Alt while starting Photoshop).

I'd first suggest going to the web site of the maker of your video card and downloading their latest release.

EXCEPTION:  If you have an ATI Radeon card, get Catalyst 11.2 instead of the latest.  There's a known problem in 11.3 and 11.4.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Liquify Not working Properly
            magimaker Community Member

I tried both suggestions and neither worked. I updated my graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460) and reset Photoshop. Neither worked. Liquify is still not working properly just as before. Any other ideas?

• 3. Re: Liquify Not working Properly
              Myke1954 Community Member

Many, many, many, many, many problems are solved by the software developers (e.g. Adobe) fixing bugs in the software.

A good place to start would be to download & install the new Photoshop CS5 update - version 12.0.4 which has only just been released by Adobe.

You can download preferably through running CS5 then selecting Help > Updates or from here for Windows http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4973 or from here for Mac  http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4972 .

Adobe state...

".... The 12.0.4 update also fixes Liquify performance, type related crashes, and other top customer issues.

The most significant fixes include the following:
              • A number of potential security vulnerabilities have been addressed.
              • Liquify save mesh now works as expected....."

Whilst this may not be your specific problem Adobe has changed the Liquify coding and they do suggest that they have addressed other problems in this release which they decline to list. Perhaps the amount of fixes are too embarrassing for Adobe to list, despite the fact that it would be of great help to those users suffering from problems/bugs in the software.

Good luck & I hope this is of help.

• 4. Re: Liquify Not working Properly

Before I wrote my original post I did a full update on the Adobe software to see if that might fix it and it didn't. But left up to its own devices, CS5 only updated itself to 12.0.3. I ran the specific link to 12.0.4 that you provided and updated it to that and it's still not working.

Also, just for clarity, the 64 bit and 32 bit versions are both having the same problem. Obviously I'm running Windows 7, 64-bit. Also, just so everyone reading this knows, so far to chase this problem I have:

- Updated CS5 as fas as I can to 12.0.4

- Reset all settings in CS5 back to factory settings

- Updated all NVIDIA graphic drivers

Nothing has worked so far.

• 5. Re: Liquify Not working Properly

There have been reports of 3rd party plug-ins interfering with the Photoshop UI.

Do you have any 3rd party plug-ins installed?  Nik plug-ins, perhaps?

If so, try disabling them (renaming the plug-in file with an initial tilde ~ works).

-Noel

• 6. Re: Liquify Not working Properly

I don't know what a "Nik" plugin is. Only plugins I'm using are Noise Ninja and Vertus Fluid Mask.

I don't see the logical conclusion there though. That's like suggesting that a possible solution to my car's headlights not turning on is a flat tire. Both plugins are updated BTW.

• 7. Re: Liquify Not working Properly

OK, just for yucks, I disabled all my 3rd party plugins. Didn't fix the issue.

• 8. Re: Liquify Not working Properly
                        Hobotor Community Member

Are you working on the correct layer? Within the liquify screen, you can select backdrop, layers, etc... If you for example set mode to "behind" and opacity to 0, you will not be able to see what you're doing.

• 9. Re: Liquify Not working Properly

YES...this is a (mostly) correct fix, although my settings are different than what you're suggesting.

When I have "Show Backdrop" clicked I can't see my edits in realtime. When I un-check it, I can. Is there a way to see my liquify edits with the backdrop visible? I've tried every combination of the backdrop settings and nothing seems to work right. Default is:

All Layers

In Front

Opacity 100%

I've tried mixing/matching nothing seems to work right. What am I missing here?

• 10. Re: Liquify Not working Properly

This is what seems to work for me:

LiquifySettings.jpg

-Noel

• 11. Re: Liquify Not working Properly

So it's actually NOT possible to see the background layers while liquifying another?

• 12. Re: Liquify Not working Properly

So you're working on a layer that's in front of other layers.  Is the one in front surrounded by transparency or are you using a layer mask?  That would have been helpful to know earlier.

I seem to be able to see my distortions in an image that's surrounded by transparency in front of my background by choosing [ ] Show Backdrop, Use Background, Mode Behind, Opacity 100.

Sorry about the grotesque face.

SeeEdits.jpg

-Noel

• 13. Re: Liquify Not working Properly
                                  Hobotor Community Member

I actually didn't suggest any settings. I merely suggested that if you apply the settings I mentioned, you'd "not" be able to see what you're doing.

To be honest, I never mess with the backdrop settings. I just leave "show backdrop" unchecked. If I really "must" see the backdrop, I just fiddle with the mode and opacity

Anyway, I was pretty sure this was your issue.

• 14. Re: Liquify Not working Properly

Let me explain what I'm trying to do and perhaps this will make more sense.

I'm trying to create a smoke effect so what I'm working with an existing image to see what it will look like while I'm creating it. What I'm doing is drawing out a simple, connected shape with the pen tool as a new layer. I gausean blur it and then load it into liquify. The ultimate result would be that using the Forward Warp tool, I pull the image around to create what will be something that looks like smoke. After the effect is done I'd add a rendered cloud layer behind it and so forth. So while I'm liquifying my shape I want to see what the effect will be against the background layers. If anything, is there a way to set the background in liquify to a solid color so I can see what my work looks like? Liquifying a white image against the checkerboard is virtually impossible to see.

• 15. Re: Liquify Not working Properly

So are you drawing the initial effect on a white background, or on a transparent layer?

Do the latter, and you should be able to achieve the result I did above with the face.

-Noel

• 16. Re: Liquify Not working Properly
                                        Hobotor Community Member

You select "show backdrop", use "background" mode "behind" and set opacity to 100% then

• 17. Re: Liquify Not working Properly

Ugh...problem solved. THANK YOU!!!

• 18. Re: Liquify Not working Properly

Didn't I show exactly that about 5 posts up? 

-Noel