11 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2011 12:44 PM by IRCrockett

Delete doesn't delete

IRCrockett

Used to be able to press delete and it would be marked for deletion and deleted when you pressed done. Now nothing happens. Other keyboard commands work as expected.

CS5

ACR 6.4.0.139

Win7Pro 64

• 1. Re: Delete doesn't delete
          Hudechrome Level 2

Does delete work in any other program? Perhaps the button itself isn't making contact. Spill any coffee onto the keyboard?

• 2. Re: Delete doesn't delete
            Noel Carboni Level 7

It?

Perhaps it would be helpful if you'd describe what "it" is that you're trying to delete...

Thumbnails in Camera Raw?  Pixels?  Files?  In what app (Photoshop, Bridge, Explorer)?

-Noel

• 3. Re: Delete doesn't delete
              IRCrockett Level 1

"Does delete work in any other program? Perhaps the button itself isn't making contact. Spill any coffee onto the keyboard?"

Yes it works in other programs and even in ACR if you've selected multiple photos. It just won't delete single images.

• 4. Re: Delete doesn't delete
                Noel Carboni Level 7

Sounds like you're probably talking about deleting files by selecting the thumbnail along the left side, then pressing the Delete key on the keyboard.

• I opened a whole group of raw files by dragging them to Photoshop from Explorer.

• When the Camera Raw dialog came up, it showed the whole set of files as thumbnails down the left side. 

• I selected one of them by clicking on it.  It became highlighted and the image showed in the preview pane.

• Then I pressed Del and a red X appeared at the upper-left of the thumbnail.  The highlight moved to the one below.

• When I exited Camera raw through the [Done] button, the file was gone.

I tried it with both the Del button above the arrows and also with the one at the upper-right corner of the main keyboard, and it worked fine.

I have Windows 7 x64 as well.

What am I doing differently than what you are?

-Noel

• 5. Re: Delete doesn't delete
                  IRCrockett Level 1

"Sounds like you're probably talking about deleting files by selecting the thumbnail along the left side, then pressing the Delete key on the keyboard."

No. As I said, that works as it always has. Open a single image and press delete. In the past you'd get a notification in the upper left that it will be deleted and when you pressed done ACR would close and the image would be deleted. Now, there is no notification and the image is not deleted after closing.

• 6. Re: Delete doesn't delete
                    Noel Carboni Level 7

Would have been nice if you'd been clear about that or at least used less ambiguous terms.

I can confirm that what you're seeing is reproducible here.  I cannot delete a single image either.

Has there ever been an indication on-screen that a delete function is available with a single image open?   There isn't a "trash can" now in the set of icons across the top, so I wouldn't expect a key to do it.  That implies the change must have been intentional.

I'm going to guess that people who didn't realize that feature existed were accidentally deleting their raw files, then they complained about it and the feature was removed to protect fat fingered users everywhere from themselves.  But that's just a guess.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Delete doesn't delete
                      MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

This is by design. Deleting images works only in filmstrip (i.e., multi-image) mode.

• 8. Re: Delete doesn't delete
                        Hudechrome Level 2

So I assume we are talking about deleting an image when in ACR, not Bridge. If I delete an image present in the ACR film strip, does it delete it from the computer as Bridge does, or only from ACR processing? I assume the latter but before trying/using, I certainly don't want to "accidentally" lose a valuable image!

My assumption here is that delete, in ACR on an image in the film strip, actually functions like the Cancel button for individual images.

• 9. Re: Delete doesn't delete
                          Noel Carboni Level 7

A deletion from the ACR filmstrip, as I described in detail a few posts up involving the red X, WILL delete the file from the hard drive.

If you want to exclude it from processing, select all the thumbnails, then Control-click on the one you don't want to deselect it.

-Noel

• 10. Re: Delete doesn't delete
                            Hudechrome Level 2

Thanks! I ain't going there!

Oh, I just saw yoursecond part of the message. That answers my objection, which I deleted!

Message was edited by: Hudechrome

• 11. Re: Delete doesn't delete
                              IRCrockett Level 1

"This is by design. Deleting images works only in filmstrip (i.e., multi-image) mode."

Why was it changed? Seems odd to drop this feature.

I should have also asked how to roll back to 6.3 so I can have this feature back.