4 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2011 10:44 AM by D3S user

CUDA laptops, will the 460/470/485-M's facilitate Mercury, not a gamer

D3S user Level 1

Forumities,

The reading is making me dizzy, so I'll ask the panel of experts if that's OK?.

Basically we are shooting h264/MPEG4 codec, and combining NEF stills for small concert and manufacturer clinics. Most recently, Will Ray with G & L Guitars.

We also have travel DVD's to flesh out, possibly even content direct to broadcast ahead.

The current machine, is toppling because the Nvidia card has inadequate ram, and I finally assignated cache to the eSATA 7200 drive, not unlike the photo NEF files so it has not crashed since but layering shoals lie ahead.

It is simply time for a new  portable workstation and the crop in consumer land seems to be using the 460M, which does not appear on the Adobe approved list so far.

In reading the details around, it might be a better choice to step up to the 470M or 485M because of bottlenecks caused by the dumbing down to suit the prosumer price point, with the 400M series.

I also might be misinterperting the read.

Does anyone here have experience with laptop Nvidia for PP5.0.5 and these cards, to achieve a green timeline generally?

If the 460M is adequate with i7 Sandy Bridge and ample RAM, then that will make a decision easy, otherwise it's a cutom buy out.

Thanks in advance,

Rob Manning

• 1. Re: CUDA laptops, will the 460/470/485-M's facilitate Mercury, not a gamer
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          It is simply time for a new  portable workstation and the crop in consumer land seems to be using the 460M, which does not appear on the Adobe approved list so far.

The 460M works perfectly fine with the 'hack'. See PPBM5 Benchmark

Does anyone here have experience with laptop Nvidia for PP5.0.5 and these cards, to achieve a green timeline generally?

You will only get a yellow line when using the 460M, meaning that you may preview your timeline without rendering first. The green line means that previews have been created and can be used for RT preview, but that bypasses the advantage of hardware MPE.

• 2. Re: CUDA laptops, will the 460/470/485-M's facilitate Mercury, not a gamer
            D3S user Level 1

Thanks Harm for the reply,

In  trying to get there from here, so to speak, does this mean the 485M will run all of functions (optimal) then?

The cost for a custom build may well be worth it if that is the case, a few hundred more or less?

Thanks again!

Rob

• 3. Re: CUDA laptops, will the 460/470/485-M's facilitate Mercury, not a gamer
              Harm Millaard Level 7

You will be hard pressed to notice any difference between the 460M and the 485M, but you very much notice the difference between 1 or 3 internal 7200 SATA disks. Clevo/Sager are about the only laptops that offer 3 internal disks.

• 4. Re: CUDA laptops, will the 460/470/485-M's facilitate Mercury, not a gamer
                D3S user Level 1

Harm, again thanks for the edification.

I was perusing the Sager build yesterday.

Perhaps a better question would be, is there an equivalency, between Nvidia lap top video GPU's and those used in standalone desktops as far as operating all of the functions PP has to manage?

If so, is there another more robust series besides the 400's to consider for a laptop?

If not, what would be the tradeoffs, in a short answer?

I was a seminar last month with Richard Harrington and he had a MAC running the PowerPoint but when he needed to demo the aspects of PP, he'd switch over to a Dell.

Dell may no longer be offering the Nvidia, perhaps to move those users into their Alien Ware brand, not sure, I'll have to check.

I very much appreciate your help so far, and if you feel compelled to chew on this further, again, very much appreciated.

If not, that is OK too.

Regards,

Rob