Hi all, a bit of an update in case it helps...
I've now tried doing 'Clip > Audio options > Render and replace' and can see the wavefor across both L and R, but still no audio can be heard.
The audio master meters continue to indicate that sound is existent for both L and R.
I have also tried ramping the gain right up to +30 and can actually hear the audio a bit, although it is very weird and distorted.
Any help hugely appreciated as I'm on a tight deadline to get this sorted.
these may sound silly but try them anyways, this seems like a minor oversight with something. make sure your using the left track and not the right. try fill right and see if it works. make sure your audio is not panned to the right.
I'd concur with the above. The description of the issue sounds very much like the audio is actually on the right channel, and you should be using the Fill Right effect.
Thanks for your help both - but I've just tripled checked (and tried 'fill right') and the audio is definitely on the left channel only.
I've actually just spent the whole afternoon trying all sorts of things to get thisto work - including starting a new project and working with the original files again (including variations of Clip > Modify > Audio channels) and I still can't get it to work.
The strange thing is that wheneverI get the audio to 'look' as if it's going to work correctly in Premiere (I.e. I can see both audio master meters bobbing up and down), whether through 'FIll left' or 'Audio channels' at source, I can hear no sound whatsoever.
I have attached a screengrab of my screen (prior to doing anything to it) in case there's anything obvious...
It can be confusing, but
Fill Left means: Fill from Left channel to Right channel
Fill Right means: Fill from Right channel to Left channel
It would be more obvious if one were to use terminlogy like : Fill FROM Left / Right...
see if it is a premiere playback issue, do the fill, then render it out to a wave file and try playing it outside of premiere, then import it into premiere and try.
Let's see what the Audio Mixer looks like...
Also, find the CFA (conformed audio) files generated from your MPEG capture. By default, they'll be next to your captured video. Close Premiere, delete the CFA files, and reopen your project. Wait a few moments while the CFA files are regenerated, and try again.
Thanks a million for all of your help and advice... and the great news is I've now solved the issue.
Rather embaressing I must admit... it turns out it was a problem with the headphones I was using, and the 'fill' functionality was working perfectly.
Strangely audio could be heard on both sides of the earphones, but as soon as it clicked I remember them not working as they should previously, so changing anything in PE meant I lost sound altogether. Tried a second pair of headphones and everything works perfect.
Sorry about that, thanks again everyone, and for anyon who has the same problem make sure you try another audio output straight away!