4 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2011 10:54 AM by knoepsche

importing NanoFlash MXF Files

knoepsche Level 1

Hello,

I'm planning to shoot Video with the NanoFlash Recorder from http://www.convergent-design.com .

Recorded Format: 720p50 4:2:2 I-Frame-only MPEG2 220mbps as MXF File

Does anybody know if PremierePro CS5  imports NanoFlash  mxf-files native and uses the given bitrate of 220 mbps or does it  automaticly convert it down to a compression of 50 mbps?

My question because the manual of NanoFlash Recorder is some kind of confusing me:

All nanoFlash recorded bit rates 50 Mbps and above will typically appear in NLE's with a 50 Mbps
      label. However, all files are decoded / played out from their actual recorded bit rate. At this time,
      rendering / re-encoding of edited footage from the timeline is always forced to 50 Mbps (within NLE's
      which support re-encoding of edited footage), regardless of the bit rate of the originally captured
      video. Also, support for true frame rates (true 24, 30, 60) is limited in most NLE's. (ver1.5.31)

Adobe Premiere CS5:
      native support for MXF files.
      Audio and timecode incompatibility exists in the initial CS5 releases, and was repaired in 5.02 .
      Also, rare memory leaks on computers may occur when using CS5 5.0.2 or 5.0.3 with nanoFlash
      MXF files. (This has been addressed with the release of CS5 5.5 . )

regards,

Andreas

• 1. Re: importing NanoFlash MXF Files
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

Have you downloaded media samples from their site and tested?

http://www.convergent-design.com/Products/nanoFlash/Users/tabid/1655/Default.aspx

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: importing NanoFlash MXF Files
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Does anybody know if PremierePro CS5  imports NanoFlash  mxf-files native and uses the given bitrate of 220 mbps or does it  automaticly convert it down to a compression of 50 mbps?

They import--video, audio, timecode--and there is no conversion. Premiere Pro doesn't do any kind of conversion with any kind of media that it supports--that's the crux of "native editing." So, you're getting access to every pixel and bit of image information as it was recorded by the camera.

The note about the memory leak is probably worth heeding; there is a bug in CS5 that leads to all available memory being used with these MPEG assets. There's a very hot thread right now about this issue, as it pertains to the Canon XF format (it also uses MPEG-2 at 50Mbps in an MXF container), but I would suspect that it's this issue that that note is referring to. As the note also points out, this is corrected in CS5.5, but will remain in CS5. There is a memory cleaner linked to in the Canon XF thread that has worked for some folks. I don't personally work with either format, so the trials and tribulations of either of these is based solely on others' reports.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: importing NanoFlash MXF Files
              digitlman Level 1

funny, we are getting the same thing and i just downloaded all their test files and experimented in cs5 with them.

1080i60_I_422_180Mbps_25s.mxf
              1080i60_I_422_280Mbps_25s.mxf
              1080i60_LG_420_35Mbps_25s.mxf
              1080i60_LG_422_50Mbps_25s.mxf
              1080i60_LG_422_100Mbps_25s.mxf
              1080p24_LG_422_50Mbps_10s.mxf

they all worked excellent in one of my CS5/Axio systems and played back and decoded/rendered very fast and effeciently. I overlayed 3 copies of each and played all 3 layers without a hiccup. I think these files edit VERY effeciently in CS5 and recommended to our engineers that we order them for our field recording over the cinedeck units we were looking at.

in rendering tests these files could be rendered out exactly twice as fast as the cinedeck quicktime prores files i tested.

• 4. Re: importing NanoFlash MXF Files
                knoepsche Level 1

Thanks you all helped me a lot. My confusion about importing mxf-assets had come to an end now.

Regards,

Andreas