3 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2011 8:07 PM by Rick Gerard

help loop timeline

waspnator

Good morning everyone,

Can someone help, i am newbie in after effects and got the following question:

I have two compositions on the timeline:

The first start at 0 and  end in 7 seconds.
      The second
      start at 0 and  end in 7 seconds too.

The question is how do I make a loop? I want the loop start in 3 seconds, but he always start at 0 seconds

Since you already appreciate the help.

• 1. Re: help loop timeline
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure I completely understand what you're trying to do. You can make a composition loop by dropping the comp in a new composition (or pre-Composing everything) then extending the length of the new composition and applying Layer>Time>Time Remapping.

This will put two keyframes in your composition. You then can loop the keyframes by using the standard loop out expression. It looks like this:

loopOut(type = "cycle", numKeyframes = 0)

Then by adjusting the spacing of the keyframes you can speed up or shorten the video. You can also extend the length of the composition.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: help loop timeline
            waspnator Level 1

thanks Rick for reply

And sorry my english is bad.

I'll try to explain.

I have comp1 in the timeline, it start in 0(zero) seconds and finish in 7 seconds, i have comp2 that start in 3 seconds and finish in 7 seconds.

I want that comp1 pause or stop when the timeline is in 3 seconds
            with the comp2  when the time reach 7 seconds, It enter in loop go back to 3 seconds, while comp1 keep stoped

• 3. Re: help loop timeline
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have comp1 in the timeline, it start in 0(zero) seconds and finish in 7 seconds, i have comp2 that start in 3 seconds and finish in 7 seconds.

I want that comp1 pause or stop when the timeline is in 3 seconds
              with the comp2  when the time reach 7 seconds, It enter in loop go back to 3 seconds, while comp1 keep stoped

Time Remapping is your friend here. First enable Time Remapping on both comps. Now add a keyframe on Comp 1 at 3 seconds and delete the keyframe at 7 seconds. This will freeze Comp 1 at 3 seconds.

Comp 2 should start at 3 seconds With Time Remapping enabled you'll see a keyframe at 3 seconds (the Comp 2 in point) and another keyframe at the out point. These keyframes represent the starting and ending time of Comp 2.

Alt or Option + click on the Time Remapping stopwatch in the timeline and add this expression:

loopOut(type = "cycle", numKeyframes = 0)

Then extend the out point of Comp 2.

That should do it. Comp 2 will loop for the entire length of the main composition.