8 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2011 6:21 AM by Steve from NY

Is there a "reveal in project" shortcut CS5 pc?

Steve from NY Level 1

Is there a "reveal in project" shortcut CS5 pc?

When a subclip is on the TL & I right click it, I can choose "reveal in project" but can not find a way to make a keyboard shortcut in "keyboard customization"

• 1. Re: Is there a "reveal in project" shortcut CS5 pc?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

In the drop-down, select "Panels." Swivel open the "Timeline Panel" category; "Reveal in Project" is there.

It looks like CS5.5 finally has a search bar in the Keyboard Customization dialog; that'll make it much easier to find the shortcut you want.

• 2. Re: Is there a "reveal in project" shortcut CS5 pc?
            Steve from NY Level 1

Thanks Colin!

I am also having trouble finding a shortcut for "edit subclip".

When I rt click on a sub clip in the Bin & select "edit subclip"

I am trying to create a macro.

• 3. Re: Is there a "reveal in project" shortcut CS5 pc?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

That's in Application > Clip > Edit Subclip. Now you see why that search function is going to be so welcome!

• 4. Re: Is there a "reveal in project" shortcut CS5 pc?
                Steve from NY Level 1

Thanks sooo much Colin. I have been going crazy. Can't wait for a search function. I'm assuming it will be in cs5.5?

My macro is almost done. My eyes are popping out of my head staring at the endless list of shortcuts.

Still need 1 more in the string to complete it:

Any idea if there is a "convert to master clip" shortcut?

Usually After I rt click a subclip in a bin, I choose "convert to master clip"

• 5. Re: Is there a "reveal in project" shortcut CS5 pc?
                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                  I'm assuming it will be in cs5.5?

That's my understanding. From Todd's blog post, "Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5: What’s new and changed « Premiere Pro work area":

improved keyboard shortcut customization, including addition of a search field to the Keyboard Customization dialog box

Still need 1 more in the string to complete it:

Any idea if there is a "convert to master clip" shortcut?

I don't think so; since that's an option within a panel/dialog, there probably is not a direct keyboard shortcut for it (I can't find one, anyway). I'm interested in how you're building your macro--Auto Hotkey?--and what the purpose of your macro is. There may be another way to build it...

• 6. Re: Is there a "reveal in project" shortcut CS5 pc?
                    Steve from NY Level 1

Hi Colin & thanks!

i use this:

http://retail.contourdesign.com/?/products/23

I cut  my master clip into subclips in a bin then automate to sequence to send them to the TL. Occasionally I need to change a subclip back into a MC on the TL & it's a pain to go through all the manual steps so I thought I'd build a 1 button macro.

By the way, the shuttle pro is amazing. I've been using them for over 10 years with all my workstations. FYI: It doesn't work too well with FCP.

• 7. Re: Is there a "reveal in project" shortcut CS5 pc?
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Hey Steve,

OK, I'm following you. I've got a couple thoughts..

First, I'd avoid subclips altogether, particularly if you're just going to convert them to master clips. In essence, you're marking your master clip and inserting them into a sequence--with a few other steps in between.

Premiere can create a marked duplicate of a master clip simply by dragging it from the Source Monitor to the Project panel without any modifier keys. This will give you another independent reference to the media file, but it will have the in and out points as you created them in the Source Monitor. If you create a series of these, you could then automate them to a sequence, and they will respect the marks you made. Unlike subclips, which are hard stops, you'd have handles on both ends (because they're just marked clip instances) so you could do transitions and the like. Unfortunately, there is no keyboard shortcut or command to do this, so it's a mouse action--probably not going to help with your macro.

But, what about setting up a key on the Contour that marked an out point on your clip in the Source Monitor, and immediately after edited into the active sequence? I suppose you could map the Mark In Point command to one button on the Contour, and the Mark Out Point + Insert to a button right next to it, and you'd be able to rock through a master clip pretty quickly. That way, you'd be cutting out the middleman, so to speak--no subclips, no converting to master clips, no automate to sequence--and you'd still end up with the same result.

However, it's possible I'm missing a key part of your workflow here. Curious to hear your thoughts...

• 8. Re: Is there a "reveal in project" shortcut CS5 pc?
                        Steve from NY Level 1

OK, I'm following you. I've got a couple thoughts..

First,  I'd avoid subclips altogether, particularly if you're just going to  convert them to master clips. In essence, you're marking your master  clip and inserting them into a sequence--with a few other steps in  between.

Premiere can create a marked duplicate of a  master clip simply by dragging it from the Source Monitor to the Project  panel without any modifier keys. This will give you another independent  reference to the media file, but it will have the in and out points as  you created them in the Source Monitor. If you create a series of these,  you could then automate them to a sequence, and they will respect the  marks you made. Unlike subclips, which are hard stops, you'd have  handles on both ends (because they're just marked clip instances) so you  could do transitions and the like. Unfortunately, there is no keyboard shortcut or command to do this, so it's a mouse action--probably not going to help with your macro.

I DIDN'T REALIZE I COULD. THE LAST VERSION I HAD WAS CS3 AND THAT CREATED A SUBCLIP EVEN WHEN DRAAGED TO A BIN. NICE WORK COLIN! IT STINKS THAT THERE IS NO KEYBOARD SHORTCUT BUT THIS WILL HELP ME SPEED UP MY EDITING QUITE A BIT!!

But,  what about setting up a key on the Contour that marked an out point on  your clip in the Source Monitor, and immediately after edited into the  active sequence? I suppose you could map the Mark In Point command to  one button on the Contour, and the Mark Out Point + Insert to a button  right next to it, and you'd be able to rock through a master clip pretty  quickly. That way, you'd be cutting out the middleman, so to speak--no  subclips, no converting to master clips, no automate to sequence--and  you'd still end up with the same result.

THAT IS THE EXACT WAY I'VE ALWAYS HAD IT SET UP. IT IS AMAZINGLY FAST. I WILL KEEP USING SUBCLIPS TO BIN BECAUSE I CAN MACRO THEM HOWEVER I ALREADY KNOW WHEN I AM CUTTING UP THE MC WHICH CLIPS NEED TO BE REFERENCED CLIPS INSTEAD OF SUBCLIPS & I CAN MANUALLY DRAG THEM FROM THE SOURCE WINDOW TO THE BIN.

However, it's possible I'm missing a key part of your workflow here. Curious to hear your thoughts...

NO, YOU NAILED IT COLIN...THANKS SO MUCH!!