9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2007 9:04 AM by Cashcomm

How to flip multiple frames using batch command

Cashcomm
      Using Fireworks 8.

I have a document with over 200 frames. In the "Command" --> "Batch Commands" menu I have the option of rotating and or blurring multiple or individual frames.

What I'd really like to do is flip all 200 frames horizontally but there is no option to do this simultaneously.

Or is there?

Tell me I'm not stuck with the only option of flipping each frame individually.

I flipped one frame and saved my actions as a command but this "Flip" command could not be applied to multiple frames.

Help me out.

Thanx.
        • 1. Re: writing new batch command
          Level 7
          200 frames is a lot. You might try using the onionskin feature If you
          have the first Frame selected, you can go to the last one and click ont
          the first column. If you did it right you will see a line going all
          through the frames with an icon on the first and last frame.

It will make more sense if you look it up in the help file. (F1)

Cashcomm wrote:
          > Using Fireworks 8.
          >
          > I have a document with over 200 frames. In the "Command" --> "Batch Commands"
          > menu I have the option of rotating and or blurring multiple or individual
          > frames.
          >
          > What I'd really like to do is flip all 200 frames horizontally but there is no
          > option to do this simultaneously.
          >
          > Or is there?
          >
          > Tell me I'm not stuck with the only option of flipping each frame individually.
          >
          > I flipped one frame and saved my actions as a command but this "Flip" command
          > could not be applied to multiple frames.
          >
          > Help me out.
          >
          > Thanx.
          >
          • 2. Re: How to flip multiple frames using batch command
            Cashcomm Level 1
            The real question here is why isn't there a flip option in the Batch command menu?
            • 3. Re: How to flip multiple frames using batch command
              Level 7
              Perhaps because it's so easy to write your own Command?

Peter
              command menu?

• 4. Re: How to flip multiple frames using batch command
                Level 7
                Cashcomm wrote:
                > The real question here is why isn't there a flip option in the Batch command menu?

MODIFY > TRANSFORM > FLIP HORIZONTAL. Do it once then go to the history
                panel and save this as a custom command. You can then access it from the
                batch operations.

However this will only affect the first frame on the top layer unless
                the other frames or layers are manually selected.

--
                Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                Extending Knowledge, Daily
                http://www.communityMX.com/
                CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                ---
                .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                • 5. How to flip multiple frames using batch command
                  Cashcomm Level 1
                  quote:

panel and save this as a custom command. You can then access it from the
                  batch operations.
                  However this will only affect the first frame on the top layer unless
                  the other frames or layers are manually selected.

Thanks for your answer Jim. I did just as you described. I selected frame 1, then I selected the layer in that frame from the layers panel. I flipped it using the MODIFY, TRANSFORM menu. From the history panel I saved this command as "FLIP."
                  I then selected frames 2-10 holding down the SHIFT key. Then I went to the Command menu and selected my 'FLIP" command and got an error message telling me that it could not apply.
                  I tried to find where my Flip command is saved thinking that if I go into explorer and drag it to the Batch Command folder that I could use it because only commands from that folder can be applied to multiple frames. But I couldn't find my FLIP command even though it works perfectly if I am changing one frame at a time and only then if I select the layer in that frame first.

Apparently saved commands don't work on multiple frames.

So I'm in a position where I would have to use the flip command or MODIFY --> TRANSFORM command manually on each frame individually.

This is frustrating.
                  • 6. Re: How to flip multiple frames using batch command
                    Level 7
                    Did you try my suggestion?

Cashcomm wrote:
                    >
                    quote:

> panel and save this as a custom command. You can then access it from the
                    > batch operations.
                    > However this will only affect the first frame on the top layer unless
                    > the other frames or layers are manually selected.
                    >

> Thanks for your answer Jim. I did just as you described. I selected fram 1,
                    > then I selected the layer in that fram from the layers panel. I flipped it usig
                    > the MODIFY, TRANSFORM menu. From the history panel I saved this command as
                    > "FLIP".
                    > I then selected frames 2-10 holding down the SHIFT key. Then I went to the
                    > Command menu and selected my 'FLIP" command and got an error message telling me
                    > that it could not apply.
                    > I tried to find where my Flip command is saved thinking that if I go into
                    > explorer and drag it to the Batch Command folder that I could use it. BUt I
                    > couldn't find my FLIP command even though it works perfectly if I am changing
                    > one fram at a time and only then if I select the layer in that frame first.
                    >
                    > Apparently saved commands don't work on multiple frames.
                    >
                    > So I'm in a position where I would have to use the flip command or MODIFY -->
                    > TRANSFORM command manuall on each fram individually.
                    >
                    > This is frustrating.
                    >
                    • 7. Re: How to flip multiple frames using batch command
                      Level 7
                      You'll need to use the onion skinning feature of the Frames panel, as
                      Alex indicated.

Go to the frames panel. Set all frames to onion skinning (the box on the
                      left side of each frame - click on the top frame in the onion skin box,
                      then click on the bottom frame. You will see a line connecting all the
                      frames) then click and drag over your entire canvas area to select all
                      the frames. If you saved the command, you will find it at the bottom of
                      the Commands menu.

This does work, I just did it.

--
                      Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                      Extending Knowledge, Daily
                      http://www.communityMX.com/
                      CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                      http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                      ---
                      .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                      news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                      news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

Cashcomm wrote:
                      >
                      quote:

> panel and save this as a custom command. You can then access it from the
                      > batch operations.
                      > However this will only affect the first frame on the top layer unless
                      > the other frames or layers are manually selected.
                      >

> Thanks for your answer Jim. I did just as you described. I selected fram 1,
                      > then I selected the layer in that fram from the layers panel. I flipped it usig
                      > the MODIFY, TRANSFORM menu. From the history panel I saved this command as
                      > "FLIP".
                      > I then selected frames 2-10 holding down the SHIFT key. Then I went to the
                      > Command menu and selected my 'FLIP" command and got an error message telling me
                      > that it could not apply.
                      > I tried to find where my Flip command is saved thinking that if I go into
                      > explorer and drag it to the Batch Command folder that I could use it. BUt I
                      > couldn't find my FLIP command even though it works perfectly if I am changing
                      > one fram at a time and only then if I select the layer in that frame first.
                      >
                      > Apparently saved commands don't work on multiple frames.
                      >
                      >
                      > This is frustrating.
                      >
                      • 8. Re: How to flip multiple frames using batch command
                        Level 7
                        Cashcomm wrote:

I imagine it is frustrating. However, it is highly unusual for a GIF
                        animation to have more than 20 frames.

--
                        Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                        --------------------------------------------------------------
                        http://www.projectseven.com
                        Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                        CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                        http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                        --------------------------------------------------------------
                        • 9. Re: How to flip multiple frames using batch command
                          Cashcomm Level 1
                          quote:

Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.

You'll need to use the onion skinning feature of the Frames panel, as
                          Alex indicated.

Go to the frames panel. Set all frames to onion skinning (the box on the
                          left side of each frame - click on the top frame in the onion skin box,
                          then click on the bottom frame. You will see a line connecting all the
                          frames) then click and drag over your entire canvas area to select all
                          the frames. If you saved the command, you will find it at the bottom of
                          the Commands menu.

This does work, I just did it.

Ok. It works now, :) I did use the onion skinning feature before but my problem was I failed to "click and drag" over the entire canvas to select all frames.

Now my saved command can be applied to all 200 frames.

I had thought that by holding down the shift key and selecting multiple frames from the frames panel that I HAD selected all the frames.

Ignorance is NOT bliss.

Thanks very much for being there.
                          Cheers!