6 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2011 11:14 PM by Tai Lao

Colors Are Off in Photoshop CS4

MarkARayKY

I've been having an annoying problem with Photoshop CS4 recently. The colors displayed in the application are way off--yellow appears tan, green appears grayish green, etc.--in the application. They look fine in saved files opened in other applications and even look fine in Photoshop's Navigator, as you can see in the screenshot below. I've chosen View | Proof Colors, tried different settings in Edit | Color Settings and View | Proof Setup, but nothing works.

Image 1.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Colors Are Off in Photoshop CS4
          Level 4

Looks like your monitor profile is hosed.

Calibrate and profile your monitor (which you should do regularly and often, preferably with a hardware calibrator puck) and set the resulting profile as your monitor profile.

Than make sure that all your image files are properly tagged, i.e. that they have the color profile embedded in them of the same color workspace in which they were created.

Check here:  http://www.gballard.net/psd/cmstheory.html

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 2. Re: Colors Are Off in Photoshop CS4
            Level 4

The reason your files appear OK in other applications is that those applications are not color managed, which means they do not use the monitor profile to convert and send the colors to the screen.  Photoshop is fully color managed, so it uses your monitor profile to display the colors.  If the monitor profile has become corrupted, your images will look like… what they do now.  

• 3. Re: Colors Are Off in Photoshop CS4
              MarkARayKY Level 1

Thanks for the information. I went into the Color Management control panel and made the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile the default for all users. That did the trick!

• 4. Re: Colors Are Off in Photoshop CS4
                Level 4

MarkARayKY wrote:

… I went into the Color Management control panel and made the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile the default for all users…

Oh, brother!  

That's like burying your head in the sand.

Now you are not looking at an accurate display of the file in each computer.

Now you are looking at how the file looks like in any other computer with an ideal monitor that had its monitor profile set to sRGB.

Of course, if the monitor's native profile is close to sRGB and you're dealing with an sRGB file, then you'll get a pretty good approximation.  But if you're dealing with a larger color space like Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB and/or a wide-gamut and larger-gamut monitor, the truth is that you have absolutely no clue as to what your image really looks like.

In sum, a monumentally bad idea.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 5. Re: Colors Are Off in Photoshop CS4
                  Level 4

The only monitor profile anyone should EVER use is a device-specific one created by calibrating each monitor and saving the resulting profile for that one monitor.

Non-device-specific profiles should NEVER be used as monitor profiles, EVER!

Calibration and profiling of each monitor should be performed regularly and often, preferably with a hardware calibrator.

• 6. Re: Colors Are Off in Photoshop CS4
                    Level 4

NOTA BENE:  The last two posts are for the benefit of future readers of this thread—they are not intended to deride the original poster, who I doubt will be back any time soon. 

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了