18 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2011 11:10 AM by E Baldwin

Managing the 5.5 Install

shooternz Level 6

How are others managing the install of Prem CS5.5?

I assume it installs alongside CS5 and they both co-exist happily together on the same drive.

Then I guess its a matter of migrating or reinstalling 3rd party plugins and setting up prefs?

• 1. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Correct. They happily coexist and plug-ins can be used by both versions if they are located in the Common directory, with the caveat that it may require a separate directory like C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS5.5 instead of C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS5

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MBL and CII need to be migrated.

MBL works great but still no handles for CII.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
              shooternz Level 6

Worth noting if anyone is migrating them... they are in the ......

Adobe/common/plugins/mediacore... path.

• 4. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
                japeh123

Does anyone know what happen when Production Premium CS5.5 upgrade is installed over a Production Premium CS5 installation. Many programs appear unchanged (Illustrator, Photoshop, Encore, Bridge to name a few).and keep the CS5 label. Are the existing CS5 programs overwritten?  I cannot conceive having a second instance of the same program. How is that avoided?

• 5. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
                  Magnus Allgurén Level 2

All CS5 products are now called CS5.1.

• 6. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No they are not.

E.g. Premiere, AME, AE, Auditon are 5.5

E.g. Encore, Photoshop, Bridge etc are 5.1

Here is a list of all the products:

http://www.adobe.com/products/

• 7. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
                      Magnus Allgurén Level 2

Yes, you're right, Ann!

That was what I meant, the applications that are not 5.5, are called 5.1!

• 8. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
                        cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Harm

Can you please help with a query I have,  I have master collection CS5 and as I only want cs5.5 for premiere pro and AE, I asked adobe on chat if i could upgrade to Production Premium cs5.5 from my master collection cs5. They said yes and i was ready to purchase. I then asked if i could install 5.5 in another directory so not to effect my cs5 master collection installation. They said no you cant and to my horror told me that if i upgraded from master collection cs5 to production premium cs5.5 then i will no longer be able to use those additional components in master collection that are not in production premium such as photoshop and a few others

To me this is taking away software that i have purchased in the past and have never known any other software company do this.

Surely I can use software purchased previously quite legally

Is this correct? or can I install in a new directory

Should I ask adobe chat again or would you recommending speaking to someone specific - any ideas

Thanks

Chris

• 9. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Chris,

Each suite of applications, like CS4 or CS5, and this applies especially to the Master Collection, will offer you dynamic linking between various applications, like AE, EN, PS and PR. Without the suite, for instance if you were to upgrade PR from CS5 to CS5.5, but not the rest of the suite, you lose all that dynamic linking capability, because it no longer is a suite.

All that dynamic linking is ONLY available in the suites, be it Master Collection or Production Studio. With CS5.5 AU is part of the dynamic linking applicastions, so the bottom line is, if you like the capabiliteis of dynamic linking and like Audition, upgrade to the Master Collection CS5.5.

For me - and this is very personal - if makes no sense to upgrade to PR CS5.5, while I still use Master Collection CS4 and Production Studio CS5. I would lose all that dynamic linking capability and I can still use Audition CS3. The only sensible upgrade for me is to move to the Master Collection CS5.5.

Hope this helps you make up your mind.

As to installing PR CS5.5, you can do that, like with all previous versions of PR, in a separate directory without any negative impact on your existing installion of MC CS5. They happily coexist on the same drive. I can use various applications, even at the same time from CS3, CS4, CS5 and CS5.5 without problems, be it AME, EN, AE, PR, PS or whatever.

• 10. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
                            cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Harm

Thanks for your usual quick responce.

Yes i do like the linking and youve provided some useful info, but for adobe to say I cant use my master collection anymore (if i upgrade to prod prem) surely is wrong? and youve confirmed i can install in a different directory so thats good despite adobe saying otherwise.

I get annoyed because you so rely on adobe chat staff to give you correct information but when they get it wrong they can cause major headaches.

Chris

ps you should charge for your advice! - its always correct and appropiate!!

• 11. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Chris,

The bottom line is, with regards to your statement:

but for adobe to say I cant use my master collection anymore (if i upgrade to prod prem) surely is wrong? and youve confirmed i can install in a different directory so thats good despite adobe saying otherwise.

You can still use your Master Collection CS5, but you can not use dynamic linking from PR CS5.5 because you no longer have the suite to enable that.

You can use MC CS5 as it has always worked, including dynamic linking within the CS5 suite.

You can not use PR CS5.5 with dynamic linking without getting the full suite.

You can use PR CS5.5 as a stand-alone application, including the accompanying programs, like EN, AME and OL.

FYI, I use Master Collection CS4, Production Studio CS5, Audition CS3, Ultra CS3, plus PR CS5.5 on the same machine without problems.

• 12. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
                                japeh123 Level 1

The Adobe License Agreement specifically provides (in Section 5)  that after an upgrade, user may continue to use previous version of the programs as long as they are installed on the same computer.

That being said, it makes little sense to upgrade to Production Premium rather then the full Master collection as the difference in price is only $150. You are likely to loose many times that saving the next time you will upgrade to the Master Collection.

I suspect that Harm misunderstood your query. You will retain all the benefits of Dynamic Linking within the Production Premium programs. You can never link with precvious versions.

• 13. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
                                  cjacs987654 Level 1

Harm/Japah123

Hi Guys, thanks for your replies. You've convinced me to go to MC cs5.5 but I object to adobe chat staff giving incorrect and misleading information

Thank you for your time and input

Regards

Chris

• 14. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
                                    E Baldwin

Just to confirm, Audition CS3 and CS5.5 can coexist in seperate directories with no problems?

Thanks.

Ed

• 15. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
                                      jeremy d. Level 3

All of these things will live together on the same system. The caveat is that you cannot dynamically link between apps from different suite versions.

• 16. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
                                        Martin HJA Level 1

UPS tracking# says that my Production Premium 5.5 will arrive tomorrow .

I have been upgrading since version CS3 + CS4 + CS5. But somehow I always didn't do it entirely correct. I usually leave the old ProdectioN premium installed, install the new one, and once I find that it works good, uninstall the old version. Unfortunatelly you'll allways run into wrong file accociations etc.

So this time I want to uninstall CS5 entirely prior installing CS5.5.

I have questions though (walkthrough):

-Deactivating CS5 (I guess its enough to do it from one programm i.e. Photoshop, right?).?

-Should I leave my serial# on my computer, so that 5.5 will reconize it?

-What happens to my plugins, they won't get uninstalled which is good, and since there is no need in rewriting the pluings (like for CS5 64bit), one could use the same old instalation of them.

BUT 5.5 will probbaly get installed in a different directory (thats why one can have both CS5 + CS5.5 on the same system / harddrive).

So what about my plugin installations (premiere, photoshop and AfterFX = Ppro and AFX share some plugins)???

I read something like "migrating". But what does that mean?!

Plese some advice,

thanx

• 17. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
                                          shooternz Level 6

'Migrating' in this instance refers to copying and pasting files from one folder to

another  ( where they will be seen by the new version of the application)

• 18. Re: Managing the 5.5 Install
                                            E Baldwin Level 1

Japeh123 "Does anyone know what happen when Production Premium CS5.5 upgrade is installed over a Production Premium CS5 installation"

After backing up, I tried installing Production Premium CS5.5 over the top of Production Premium CS5 and ended up with ~135 warnings of duplicate language files and a recommendation to reinstall. Not a good way to go.

Ed