4 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2011 6:45 PM by cwilson03 RSS

Possible to continue encoding after reboot?

cwilson03

Hi,

Using Master Collection CS5, is it possible to continue encoding with AME after a reboot (either planned, or in case of a system crash, as just happened to me)?  Seems like a simple pause in AME, followed by a reboot, loses any encoding progress up to that point.

Best,

Chris

• 1. Re: Possible to continue encoding after reboot?
          Colin Brougham Community Member

Nope. Gotta start over.

• 2. Re: Possible to continue encoding after reboot?
            cwilson03 Community Member

Bummer; the crash today cost me 17 hrs of encoding.  Seems like a simple pause/continue across reboots/invocations is a great (and obvious) enhancement idea.  I work primarily from a laptop, and it's a pain to not be able to reboot when going to/from the office.  At least you'd think Adobe would offer a separate AME install that you could put on a server, but the licensing with the suite editions doesn't allow the components to be split up...

Is there an official "enhancement" forum where these ideas can be submitted?

-Chris

• 3. Re: Possible to continue encoding after reboot?
              Colin Brougham Community Member
              Seems like a simple pause/continue across reboots/invocations is a great (and obvious) enhancement idea.

For the majority of deliverable exports--H.264 MP4, MPEG2 DVD, WMV, for example--I don't think it would even be possible. Since these formats aren't encoded with discrete, individual frames, but rather in chunks of frames called Groups of Pictures (or GOPs), those chunks have to be encoded and written to disk in sort of a piecemeal fashion. If you stop encoding somewhere in between--or if you suffer a crash--you'd have a high degree of likelihood of being somewhere in the middle of a GOP when that happened. That GOP would be all messed up, and I don't think any encoder could recover from that. I'm not a software engineer or encoding expert, so...

Is there an official "enhancement" forum where these ideas can be submitted?

In a way: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 4. Re: Possible to continue encoding after reboot?
                cwilson03 Community Member

Thanks, Colin.

On the theoretical, and speaking as a software engineer (the video editing is just a part-time, on-the-side thing), it seems like any interrupted group-of-pictures could be discarded and redone, without requiring the entire video to be redone.  But, I confess I know nothing of those formats.

Thanks for the link on the enhancements, too.

Best,

Chris