3 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2011 3:00 PM by Nick Pinkham

Trying to reduce a tooth shine

Nick Pinkham

Hi everybody,

I am working on a project in PP cs5 and am running into some trouble reducing a shine on somebody's tooth. Here's a pic for reference:

tooth.jpg

I know the answer is to re-shoot, but I wasn't involved with the shoot and that definitely isn't happening. The director said it would be easily fixed in post but I'm not so sure. He suggested a "tv safe color clamp" on the white color, but I am not seeing anything like that. I have tried a few filters, mainly change to color, change color, color replace, etc., masked to the mouth area. Nothing seems to work very well, mostly because the difference is so high and the colors vary quite a bit. The shine is pure #FFFFFF white, while the other teeth are almost halfway to black, with a few spots around the shine in some frames that are almost pure black. I have also tried a secondary color correction on the mouth area, but that doesn't work very well either, can't isolate the trouble area well enough since his head moves around a bit.

So any ideas? Is this something better done in AE?

While I would love to go into each and every frame of the 8 or 10 minutes of video, I highly doubt my client will be willing to pay the overtime

Thanks for the help. I know this is probably a simple problem, I just don't do much video editing. Normally I'm an as3 dev who doesn't know how to say no to a side job here and there.

-Nick

• 1. Re: Trying to reduce a tooth shine
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Yeah, the problem is simple. The solution is not. It means rotoscoping in AE. Good luck.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Trying to reduce a tooth shine
            rejdmast1 Level 2

You're probably going to need AE.

I use Fusion, but the concepts are the same.

Track his nose or something else and attach a loose soft mask around the

area where the tooth moves.  Create a luma mask of the tooth that is also limited by the

tracked mask.  This is probably the best way to do it because his mouth is probably

opening and closing so you can't track the tooth directly.

Then use the luma mask to drive whatever corrention tool you want

(brightness, color, etc.)

Perhaps someone else can show you these steps with AE.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Trying to reduce a tooth shine
              Nick Pinkham Level 1

Thanks guys. I agree, looks like AE is the best bet. I did some research on the "rotobrush" and tried it out, looks like it would work for something like this but you still have to go into every frame and check it. Luckily it is probably being passed back to the DP, so I don't have to deal with it.