13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2011 8:05 AM by Chris W. Griffith

FC cs5.5 resizable application problems! please help!

curlykath21 Level 1

Hello,

Here comes the frustration!! I have been waiting for flash Catalyst 5.5 to fix my simple resizing problem. All I want to do is have my entire site scale to the size of the browser window. I do not need a liquid layout or complex resizing. Simply I want to do what I used to do with Flash Pro which is to add the 100% and "showAll" properties to the embed code and have my site scale as the browser resizes. PLEASE HELP!!

I have tried importing the project into flash builder and adding the preinitialise.......'showAll' line that I found in another post but that didn't work

HOW CAN I DO THIS BASIC FUNCTION!!

• 2. Re: FC cs5.5 resizable application problems! please help!
          curlykath21 Level 1

Okay so months later no one seems to be able to fix this simple problem!

ALL I NEED IS.....

For my final website to display at width 100% and Height 100%

As you can do with any SWF embedded in an html document.

It simply doesn't work.

If the browser is 800 x 600 i want to see my entire site scaled down, if the browser is 1600 x 1200 I want to see my website scaled up and displaying evrything.

I think it may be time to abandon flash catalyst for the useless peice of timewasting that it is and get back to flash which at least works correctly!! Unless you can actually offer me any help!!!!

I waited for the new version of FC which didn't work I waited months after to see if an answer came and it didn't! I'm not the only person with this problem and its frustrating because it should be so SIMPLE!!!!

• 3. Re: FC cs5.5 resizable application problems! please help!
            Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

Here is a quick blog post that outlines the differences between scaling and resizing. There are two demos that showcase the differences. Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion about how Flex-based applications resize versus how a Flash-based application scale.

Chris

• 4. Re: FC cs5.5 resizable application problems! please help!
              curlykath21 Level 1

Thanks Chris.

Only thing is that is very frustrating, as I dont want it to resize I want it to scale, it doesnt matter at all if the buttons get smaller. What matters is that it shrinks to fit the users screen and looks the same in design whatever size. Why cant Flash Catalyst give you the choice of both resizing AND scaling??!! Are there any solutions to this gap in catalysts capabilties?? Trying desperatly not to throw my whole design out the window and start again with a better program, but this is a serious issue that needs to be resolved not just for me but many people trying to do the same!! The whole point of using catalyst was to make it simple this has been anything far from simple, only complicated and timewasting!

Please help if you can I would appreciate it so much!!

• 5. Re: FC cs5.5 resizable application problems! please help!
                ltlrat

I agree, this is absolutely ridiculous.

I just built my first project in Flash Catalyst CS5.5. Spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out how to just scale the whole project to fit a browser window on lower resolution screens. I don't want to use Flash Builder. I tried it and it didn't work. Seems like an excessive step for something that should be a given funtionality (also why is it a separate program?).

I don't see where Flash Catalyst + Flash Builder is any more intuitive or faster than Flash Pro. Given that nothing supports Flash anymore anyway, I think Adobe is focusing on the wrong things. I mean do I really have to go in an set constraints for every single element in my project? I gave it a shot and it made a mess of things. Why can't it all just scale? It's not like I need to make my Flash project work on a phone or something. Most phones don't support flash.

• 6. Re: FC cs5.5 resizable application problems! please help!
                  curlykath21 Level 1

Well, Ive now been able to make it resize miraculously! BUT now there is another problem with doing this - it no longer centers itself it now sits on the left hand side, and is showing images that are off stage to the right!!

Is there anyway to make it hide everything off stage?? It was all hidden before we got it to resize, but now it wont go away!

ANY IDEAS HOW TO SOLVE THIS WOULD BE MUCH APRECIATED!!

Thanks

• 7. Re: FC cs5.5 resizable application problems! please help!

Actually a lot of phones support Flash. Almost all the modern Android based devices, the BlackBerry Playbook, and if you compile you Flash application into an AIR 2.7 application you can have your Flash based effort running on an iOS device.

Chris

• 8. Re: FC cs5.5 resizable application problems! please help!
                      lbolden10

so does this mean that you can't resize the entire artboard? I've checked the resizable option but it doesn't work. Also, what is the solution for creating a flash file that fits different resolutions automatically?

• 9. Re: FC cs5.5 resizable application problems! please help!
                        EricG_66

Hello

I'm trying to create my website with Catalyst but I'm stuck in front of a wall: I”m photographer and if the creation with that software is pretty simple and fast, one important point is that my photographs keep the same proportion, no matter the size/proportion of the browser window/end user monitor. But I wasn't able keep it right: the images may resize with the window but won't keep the height-width ratio constant, distorting the image.

I've searched and searched through the Web but only got complicated solutions as I know nothing about all those scripts. I'm looking for a simple solution and as far as I saw, it seems that Catalyst is not enough to make what I want. Do I need something like Flash Builder too, or something else? How can I get a simple function of proportional resizing (or rescaling, whatever you call it) in a simple manner?

Thanks for the answers.

• 10. Re: FC cs5.5 resizable application problems! please help!

Flash Catalyst CS5.5 is mainly focused on designing Flex-based applications and not on creating gallery web sites. As such the development team picked resizing and NOT scaling. Those two different solutions to the same problem.

I try to explain the differences in this blog post: http://chrisgriffith.wordpress.com/2011/06/22/understanding-resizing-and-scaling-in-flash- catalyst/

But I think in the end, you are not going find Flash Catalyst fitting your design needs, without some level of development modification. Maybe Adobe Edge Preview 3 might fit your needs better. It is available onhttp://labs.adobe.com/technologies/edge/

• 11. Re: FC cs5.5 resizable application problems! please help!

The artboard should resize as the browser window changes. You can preview this by clicking on the dark handle on the lower right corner of the artboard in Flash Catalyst.

• 12. Re: FC cs5.5 resizable application problems! please help!
                              EricG_66 Level 1

Thanks Chris.

As I saw in another post (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/616545), I see it's not possible in Catalyst. I must say I'm very surprised by this choice and think it's a pity for the end user as I saw many asking for that basic functionality.

Is it possible to make these changes through Flash Builder?

Using Edge? Trying and learning another software? May be I'll give it a try, but I have to say that I'm a little bit desperate having to recreate everything again.

• 13. Re: FC cs5.5 resizable application problems! please help!

The best way I explain the resizing versus scaling is to think of Microsoft Word. Would you expect the buttons in the header bar to grow and shrink as you resized the window. No, they would remain the same size. This is standard behavior for applications, and thus the model Flash Catalyst picked.

Now you can add a lot of constraints to each component using Flash Builder to allow for some scaling, but in the end you have to understand the design model that the Flex framework is designed for.

As for Edge, it is currently an animation tools that is just getting it's first taste of interactivity in Preview 3. I doubt it will solve your needs at this time either.

Chris