3 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2011 11:18 PM by Mylenium

trouble importing mpeg 1/2 .mov files on a PC

ebenezer mcscrooge

hello!  i'm having trouble getting my files imported correctly.  the files are .mov container files with what VLC calls mpeg 1/2 codec.  the person that gave me the files said they were h.264 so i'm curous why that is not showing up. it has a real hard time with the quicktime format.

i'm on a PC running cs5. at first only the audio would import. no video. then i used ffmpg in a .bat file to convert to mp4 container retaining the mpeg 1/2 codec.  the files were the same size and bit rate after conversion, and the aspect ration is the same and the pixels are the same. but someone said that the mp4 containers are garbage for editing. anyhow, they import now but when the video imports it is squished and the aspet ratio is off. the pixel dimensions say they are the same but it's obviously off. i cant fix this in any adjustments of pixes or aspect ration. when i change the ratio they video stays the same squished size even though the workspace looks bigger.

so my questions are thus:

1. did i in fact lower the quality of the original file using my conversion technique?

2. is there a way to convert it to a better file that it can read and not mess up the pixels or lose correct aspect ratios etc?

3 is there any way to just get the original files to work?

• 1. Re: trouble importing mpeg 1/2 .mov files on a PC
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I don't know if I'd use those files in the first place.  I'd be happier working in something lossless or uncompressed.

• 2. Re: trouble importing mpeg 1/2 .mov files on a PC
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should always transcode highly compressed footage before attempting to process it in any compositing app. Some editing apps (NLE's like PPro, FCP, Vegas) have the ability to work natively with some compression schemes, other's need a hardware solution, but compositing apps like AE or the higher end apps like Nuke work much better if you transcode the footage to a lossless, even higher bit codec. I move everything, even XDCam and P2 footage to 10Bit codecs for manipulation and for color correction. It's just a better work flow.

• 3. Re: trouble importing mpeg 1/2 .mov files on a PC
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

the person that gave me the files said they were h.264 so i'm curous why that is not showing up.

They probably simply haven't been tagged accordingly and/or are in fact H.264, but use a GOP structure, block sizes and matrices that is equal to MPEG 1/2.

1. did i in fact lower the quality of the original file using my conversion technique?

You just repackaged the stream and assuming you did indeed use the right settings, this will not change anything.

2. is there a way to convert it to a better file that it can read and not mess up the pixels or lose correct aspect ratios etc?

Impossible to tell without seeing the file, but I would agree with the others to work with uncompressed/ losslessly compressed files al lthe way.

3 is there any way to just get the original files to work?

No. All support for MPEG formats and derivatives is bound to specific decoders/ encoders and those will only allow to use sources that comply with standardized and verified specifications, which with your files doesn't seem to be the case to begin with.

Mylenium