4 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2011 1:59 PM by Colin Brougham

Premiere Pro HotKey Problems With Wacom

mattsphat

I currently purchased the small Intuos 4 to use with Premiere Pro and AFX, and have ran into some problems with setting up hot key combinations on the Wacom express keys.

This only happens in Premiere Pro. I've already tested this out to see if it's the tablet, but FCP does the command correctly, and I set up the same command with TypeEdit and it gave me the correct order that I made the command.

So here's the Hot Key Combination I have set up

e (mark in), b (move to next edit), r (mark out), opt+x (lift), 7(move to gap), ctrl+v(paste)

Using this in Final Cut, it works exactly as it's written from left to right. In Premiere Pro, the Move To Next Edit function goes out of order, so it reads it as follows:

e, r, b, opt+x, and so on

The Mark In and Mark Out functions happen faster than the Move To Next Edit Function, and instead of moving an entire cut clip, it only moves 1 frame.

So my question is, is there some kind of way to fix this problem at all? Sounds crazy, but can the Mark In and Mark Out functions be slowed down somehow?

I've already tried using delayed buttons to try and separate the Mark In and Mark out from the Move To Next Edit, but it works whenever the program feels like making it work.

I've also already tried different buttons, and that doesn't work either...

This would really help out my workflow if there's a way to fix this!

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro HotKey Problems With Wacom
          mattsphat Level 1

Still no help? Jeeze...

Well if anyone is having trouble with this with any macro hot keying, this might help

If you set up the keystroke with multiple Mark In/Out hotkeys, sometimes it works, so if you do it like this:

eeeeee (mark in) b (go to next edit) rrrrrrrr (mark out)

then sometimes it works...if I find anything else, I'll try to post back in here since I'm the only one trying to figure out this solution..

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro HotKey Problems With Wacom
            Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm trying to figure out what your macro is supposed to do. That might help make some recommendations.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro HotKey Problems With Wacom
              mattsphat Level 1

The macro is

Marking In where the CTI is, Moving to the Next Edit point, setting a Mark Out, Copying the selection between the Mark In and Mark Out, Lifting (or ripple deleting) the clip, Moving to the Previous Gap, and Pasting the Clip.

Basically it's just taking a clip from one point in the timeline, copying it, and then moving it to a gap in the timeline to continue my edit. I do my work by placing all the footage on the timeline, watching all clips, and then constructing the video from the very left, leaving 1 gap separating the actual video with the remaining footage. This way I can find footage and do the shortcut above on the keyboard without zooming out etc. Making it into one button though would definitely help save time.

It's a 7 step keystroke so bringing it down to 1 keystroke on the express keys on a Wacom Tablet would help save a lot of time.

Everything works, except the Mark In and Mark Out shortcuts. They happen faster than the Move To Next Edit shortcut, so instead of Marking an In point, and moving to the next edit, it sets a Mark In point first, and then a Mark out point which only selects one frame, and then continues with the rest of the keystroke.

Again, the hot keys happen like this:

Mark In, Mark out, Move To Next Edit Point, Lift, Move To Previous Gap, Paste

INSTEAD of this

Mark In, Move To Next Edit Point, Mark Out, Lift, Move To Previous Gap, Paste

Completely two different keystrokes with different outcomes.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro HotKey Problems With Wacom
                Colin Brougham Level 6

For giggles, try this:

Mark Clip > Lift > Move to Previous Gap > Paste

Mark Clip is "Shift+/". That will mark whatever clip is under the CTI, but it is dependent on which track you have target. You could also try:

Mark Selection > Lift > Move to Previous Gap > Paste

Mark Selection (which is just "/"), but that will work on whatever clip or clips you have selected.

If those don't work, maybe:

Mark In > Move To Next Edit Point > Step Back > Mark Out > Lift > Move To Previous Gap > Paste

Step Back is just the left arrow.