3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2011 5:15 PM by AtonMusic

n00b question - imported footage at wrong size

BabaG1 Level 1

i have a simple test i'm trying to do involving time remapping. i created a new composition at

1920x1080 as that is the format of the footage. i imported the footage and dropped it into the

composition. when i do so, the image is not filling the screen. my view is set to 100%, as is

the scale value under the layer's transform parameter.

when i look in the project window, the window in which my elements are gathered and imported,

and select my footage, it shows a thumbnail at the top of this window and has various bits of

info next to it:

filename

used 1 time

640 x 360 (1.00)

4260, 23.976 fps

Apple Intermediate Codec

the thing that catches my eye is the line about 640 x 360 (1.00). it represents one third values

for 1920 x 1080 and i find that if i scale the clip in the composition window, the value i have to

give it to fill the window is 300%. if i look at the footage with the quicktime player, it shows the

clip as 1920 x 1080.

what am i missing? did i forget something in the project and composition setup?

thanks,

BabaG

• 1. Re: n00b question - imported footage at wrong size
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try opening the file in QuickTime, then view the file at full size, then save the file. AE should now read the size tag correctly.

• 2. Re: n00b question - imported footage at wrong size
            BabaG1 Level 1

thanks rick. i don't trust quicktime player. there's a gamma or luma bug that changes the image.

seen it myself as well as reported elsewhere. i just re-exported my material and it came in properly.

seems really odd that ae would be looking to play values from the quicktime player for establishing

parameters. shouldn't that just be in the header? or is the player actually changing the header?

that would be even more odd.

thanks again,

BabaG

• 3. Re: n00b question - imported footage at wrong size
              AtonMusic Level 2

BabaG1 wrote:

i have a simple test i'm trying to do involving time remapping. i created a new composition at

1920x1080 as that is the format of the footage. i imported the footage and dropped it into the

composition. when i do so, the image is not filling the screen. my view is set to 100%, as is

the scale value under the layer's transform parameter.

when i look in the project window, the window in which my elements are gathered and imported,

and select my footage, it shows a thumbnail at the top of this window and has various bits of

info next to it:

filename

used 1 time

640 x 360 (1.00)

4260, 23.976 fps

Apple Intermediate Codec

the thing that catches my eye is the line about 640 x 360 (1.00). it represents one third values

for 1920 x 1080 and i find that if i scale the clip in the composition window, the value i have to

give it to fill the window is 300%. if i look at the footage with the quicktime player, it shows the

clip as 1920 x 1080.

what am i missing? did i forget something in the project and composition setup?

thanks,

BabaG

Are you absolutely SURE that your footage is 1920x1080.... It seems to me that if the footage come up short in the 1980x1080 AAAND the AE interpreter says 640x360 - perhaps you have forgot to enable the correct size in i.e. compressor which defaults to an odd value and miserably FAILS to recognize the ACTUAL footage...

Double Check