4 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2011 12:42 PM by ECBowen

CS5.5, 10 bit, AVCIntra, AJA Kona and GTX580 vs Quadro

Frédéric Segard Level 2

I will be purchasing a new editing computer in june. I'm switching over from Final Cut Pro on a Mac. Why am I switching? For a lot of reasons, but suffice it to say, CS5.5 is really looking like a time saver, and seems to make good business sense overall. And being independent, I don't really care about conforming to any one dogmatic camp (FCP or Avid, and the like).

I'm working a lot with AVCIntra footage (10-bit) and client-provided 3D generated content (also 10-bit). I'll have an AJA Kona LHi (supporting 10-bit) installed.

I've read a lot on the GeForce vs. Quadro, and understand that there is not much advantage to a Quadro, other then the extra edge for 3D applications. And that Geforces are 8-bit and Quadro are 10-bit. So price wise, the Geforce 580 for CS5.5 is probably my best bet.

My main questions are: Does PProCS5.5 fully support 10-bit, end-to-end? And if the GeForce is only 8-bit (though I've glimpsed somewhere the 580 might support 10-bit), will it impact real-time MPE playback outputed on the AJA Kona card? With the AJA Kona LHi installed, does it matter at all that I have an 8-bit or a 10-bit GPU card?

On a side note, there is a GTC590 now, with dual GPUs. Anyone tested it yet with the hack? Or will it be the same problem as with SLI GeForces not being supported by PPro?

One a second side note, I know people ask a lot about the best hardware to use. I've read a lot of posts about them. Most of them are quite old posts. As of May 2011, Any recommendations on components? Such as motherboards, raid cards, GTX580 manufacturer, etc.? But I'm especially interested to find out if the 6-core 990X i7 is worth the investment, compared to the 2nd gen 4-core i7 2600K? I would presume yes. But have never seen real world tests. And would a dual Xeon truly be twice as fast? Investment wise, much like the Geforce vs Quadro issue, I'm not sure it's worth 3 times the price for most likely less then twice the speed. Any comments?

Thank you all,

• 1. Re: CS5.5, 10 bit, AVCIntra, AJA Kona and GTX580 vs Quadro
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Actually I am trying to get an answer to your 10 bit question via the I/O device currently. I am verifying if the I/O device is independent of the OGL 10Bit query Adobe does for the 10bit draw or if the I/O device passes the query. If not then do you have to have a Quadro card installed even with the I/O devices. Once I have the info, I will post it for you.

The AJA drivers before the 5.5 update did not work completely with the hardware acceleration, so an AJA card would slow the MPE performance down if using an AJA preset and the card. I am unsure if that is still the case with the new 5.5 version however they don't show an update for 5.5 on their website. I would call and talk to AJA on that one.

The MPE does not support Multi GPU so the 590 would be slower than the 570 or 580.

The 990X is worth it if you work allot in AE or overclock. Also what codec is the 3D material you will be working with?

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS5.5, 10 bit, AVCIntra, AJA Kona and GTX580 vs Quadro
            Frédéric Segard Level 2

Thanks Eric, let me know for the 10-bit issue when you get the chance.

I'll contact AJA to find out about the new drivers for 5.5 and the acceleration issue. I also noticed that they recommend Quadros and have not listed any GTX cards. Maybe I'll forgo the Kona card, and go with an AJA KiPro instead?

As for the i7 vs. 2600k, well, I got my answer in other posts. I'll stick to the 990X i7.

I get my source files in 16-bit TIFF image sequence. I assembled them with QuickTime Pro on the Mac, but not sure yet how I'll do that on the PC.

• 3. Re: CS5.5, 10 bit, AVCIntra, AJA Kona and GTX580 vs Quadro

The Ki series is a disk recorder unit rather than an I/O device. If your looking for an I/O device that has drivers working with the MPE then Blackmagic would be the place to start and the Decklink Studio or Decklink HD 3D would be the ones to look at.

The 990 would definitely be the way to go with that 3D material. Your Disk array will depend on how you want to deal with the Image sequence material. If you encode it over to AVCIntra then it will be fine on a normal disk setup. If you want to work with it in raw/uncompressed form then a larger array will be required. That workflow will decide your overall configuration.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: CS5.5, 10 bit, AVCIntra, AJA Kona and GTX580 vs Quadro

I spoke to Blackmagic and their I/O cards and likely all are independant of the 10Bit OGL draw query of Adobe. This means you would be fine using I/O without a Quadro for 10bit output preview.

Eric

ADK