4 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2011 2:21 PM by RjL190365

Getting New Hard Drives

Adamousman Level 1

I have a Core i950, 12gb 1600 MHZ Ram, a 10,000 RPM 300gb Raptor (OS, Programs) and 2 x 1TB Samsung F3's in a RAID 0.  My motherboard is an X58 Sabertooth.

Question:  Can I buy two 320gb drives and run them in a separate RAID 0?

Is there a more preferrable setup?

I've read the Disk Setup thread and feel this question stands on its own as I don't know what my motherboard can support.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Getting New Hard Drives
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Where do you have your current drives installed?  Your two 6 Gb SATA ports support RAID and not knowing what you have plugged into the ICHR10 you of course can run these in RAID 0.  So most likely you can have a second RAID 0 setup.

• 2. Re: Getting New Hard Drives
            Harm Millaard Level 7

The motherboard features six right-angle SATA II (3Gb/s) ports which are supplied by the chipset and they support AHCI and RAID 0/1/5/10. In addition to the regular six SATA II ports, colored in white we see another two additional SATA 3 (6 GBit) ports, powered by a Marvell controller. Then a Jmicron controller supplies 2 x eSATA 3Gb/s connectors.

They support RAID 0/1 and JBOD. To achieve RAID, select AHCI in the BIOS then during boot access the Marvell controller where you can set RAID levels. Yet another JMicron controller brings support for two eSATA / USB combo ports on the I/O panel.

So the answer is yes, you can have multiple raids on this mobo.

• 3. Re: Getting New Hard Drives
              James G Maker Level 1

I have a similar question.

Currently I'm finding my self with a plethora of SATA cables with many spots to plug them into on my ASUS p8p67pro Rev3.  The user manual seems to be lacking in telling what drives should connect where.  I even signed up for a month of video access at homepcbuilder.com to try and keep from asking too many stupid questions.

Here are the SATA cables I have to plug in:

1) BD/DVD Drive

1) SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

for O/System & programs

4)SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

These 4 are to be used for 2 onboard RAID0 sets.

2)SATA cables from the front of the COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced.  1 is the ESATA and the other is the SATA dock

I  really thought there would be more info in the motherboard user guide.   Even in the RAID section in the back of the book just says plug  them in.

Where?

Why?

The user guide that describes the SATA ports doesn't mention RAID at all on the page for the Marvell serial ATA 6.0Gb/s connectors.

(I have my 2 front ports plugged in here)

The page that describes the 4 Intel serial ATA 3.0Gb/s connectors says you can create a RAID 0.  However it doesn't say if you can create 2 separate RAIDs with these 4 ports. (I have my 1TB F3s plugged into these)

The 2 Intel serial ATA 6.0Gb/s connectors page also says you can create a RAID. (I have my F4 for OS & programs and the BD/DVD plugged into these)

It would be handy to know which port/drive combination would produce the best performance.  NOTHING in the MoBo User Guide points me in the right direction.

I finally have my new build assembeled and looking to turn it on.  Thinking I'll unplug the F4s and install Win7....

Hope there's no puff of smoke.

• 4. Re: Getting New Hard Drives
                RjL190365 Level 4

Technically, yes.

Value-wise, however, your plan could be improved upon: Right now, a 320GB hard drive is now almost as expensive as a 1TB hard drive of nearly the same level of performance.