19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2011 10:55 AM by Bill Gehrke

CS5.5 Conforming!

shooternz Level 6

Installed CS5.5 Trial (alongside CS5) and I now am aware that a long "Conforming" process is occuring in  CS5.5 ....as well when I open previous CS5 projects in CS5

Files are AVCCAM ( AVCHD mts)

Am I being "bitten" by half an implimentation of the mpeg codec because of installing the trial ( and this is afecting all my mpeg files maybe).

* Remember that the trial has only just allowed playing these files*

Almost feels as if a background transcoding process is occuring!

• 1. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

Am I being "bitten" by half an implimentation of the mpeg codec because of installing the trial

The trial of CS5.5 is supposed to be fully functional,

without the MPEG restrictions from CS5.

• 2. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
            shooternz Level 6

Yes.. I know....but it seems strange that now I have a slow conforming "issue" that I never had in CS5 before installing this 5.5 trial.

The fact that it carries back to vers 5 is weird.

Maybe the codec is "altered" ever so slightly by the new install ( Todd ?)

• 3. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Yes it is painful.  I did not notice it when I ran PPBM5, but just now I opened an almost three hour video and what a pain.

• 4. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Just to get this out of the way: There should be no difference at all between the trial version and the full version.

Regarding the need to (re)conform assets when opening a project in CS5 after installing CS5.5: I'm not aware of anything that should cause that, but I'll look into it. I'm about to get ona  15-hour plane ride, so it'll be a while before I can make any serious inquiries.

• 5. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Todd,

You haven't informed me you are coming my way, bearing gifts. Do you have any dietary requirements for dinner, when you arrive? Any preferences for the wine?

• 6. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> You haven't informed me you are coming my way, bearing gifts.

Sorry. Going the other way. From Graz (Austria) back to Seattle. I've been in a video recording studio for two weeks recording After Effects and Premiere Pro training materials. I did mention your name repeatedly in a couple of them.

• 7. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
                      janhris Level 1

Hi  Todd

Was just going to post the following in the forum when I saw this thread:

Today I installed the CS 5,5-version. (I have not uninstalled CS 50, with latest update).

When trying to open a 5-project, clicking on the project file in filemanager, the 5,5 application opens, starts  - then – after a lot of loading - the message comes: “An serious error has occurred… and PPro has to close down”. At the same time – at the bottom right – there is a “conforming”-process going on. And in the project panel, there is a lot of “pending” showing up regarding the linked files.

If I start a completely new project in Premiere Pro 5,5 - with the same  project settings (Canon FX MPEG2, 1920-1080i) - and then import the project that will not open, this works fine. But when I save this new file, and try to open it again in 5,5 – the error message is back.

I also noticed the following: When trying to open the old project, by rightclicking the file, the choose: “Open with” – and click the way to the Premiere Pro CS 5 folder and the file: Adobe Premier Pro.exe – and click - the corresponding file in the 5,5-folder starts.

As written, I have a workaround, but this is a little enoying...

• 8. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Todd,

Next time you could make a stop-over in Switzerland in Interlaken with my daughter (she is engaged, so no false hopes) or here in Rotterdam in the Netherlands. You could enjoy a nice barbecue with a view on the famous Jungfrau mountain from the garden.

Jungfrau.png

• 9. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
                          Mark Morreau Adobe Community Professional

I am having this same problem: after installing 5.5 (but without uninstalling 5.03) when I open a 5.03 project in 5.03 all media (in my case M2T and MP4 files) has to be re-indexed, and this seems to happen very very slowly.

Also the PEK files need to be rebuilt.

If I then open the project in 5.5 and save it as a 5.5 project previously re-indexed files from 5.03 project are retained and - subjectively - un-indexed files seem to get indexed faster.

This is in Win7x64 Pro.

In Preferences for both versions I have ticked "Save Media Cache files next to originals when possible"

and the Media Cache Database is in the default location (C:\users\me\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\

Could this shared Media Cache Database be causing the issue?

Cheers

Mark

Edit: I've been able to replicate this on desktop and laptop now, and have logged it as a bug,

Message was edited by: mark__m added that bug report filed

• 10. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
                            extremalis

Same thing for me. I edit the Canon XF305 footages (MXF format).

I use the same hardisk on various PCs on the trial version of Adobe CS5.5

Our workflow is collaborative effort, thus we have the exact same footage on different hardisk,

and will later combine them into a single computer, in order to do final rendering.

Its expected for audio conforming when footages are first imported, and I checked the "Save Media Cache files next to originals when possible",and observed the creation of the CFA files. However, when i use the exact same drive letter on another PC, the entire media starts conforming again.

I hope my situation is clear to the Adobe folks. Am in the process of drawing up a flow chart with various print screen. Need help desperately. Really keen to upgrade from my current CS3 to the new CS5.5, as all may know, even CS5 version has a memory leak bug with Canon MXF footages.

Cheers

Mingsong

from Singapore

• 11. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
                              CKyei99

Hi

I had the same problem as mark_m. I also thought it was the shared location of both the Media Cache Database and perhaps even the Media Cache (which I had previously set to the default location in CS5 and was also set to default in CS5.5. I changed both locations on CS5.5 and hey presto, no conforming loop! I am still sat here with my fingers crossed that it has solved the problem, but all is looking good after 20 minutes of manipulating the same clip and cutting it and removing it and re-adding it to the timeline, which had previously caused the conforming loop.

I am running Windows 7 x64

PPro CS5 & CS5.5 installed on same system - both are NOT trial versions and are fully activated (ie, paid for!)

So... I made the locations of the above Media areas different from CS5 to CS5.5 and I seem to be good to go from here on in!

Thanks!

CK

PS - I don't know if this is relevant but the test clip I used was previously conformed in a CS5 project and then I tried to conform it in CS5.5...I haven't tested a clip that wasn't conformed in CS5 yet to know if that may be the/a reason for the conforming loop....phew...

Message was edited by: CKyei99

• 12. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
                                CKyei99 Level 1

Hi Mingsong

Is the location for the Media Cache database the same for both CS3 and CS5.5? If it is I suggest changing the location of it in CS5.5 (after cleaning it). When the message pops up asking if you want to move the database data to the new location or delete, select delete and try again.

Doing this soved this issue for me. I am also using Canon XF files. See my other post in this thread for more details.

CK

• 13. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
                                  janhris Level 1

Hi,changing the media cache folder solved the problem right away. Thanks!!!!

• 14. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
                                    CKyei99 Level 1

Hey that's great news!

One more thing I did as I found references to it elsewhere was to uncheck the 'Write XMP ID to files on Import' checkbox under 'Edit/Preferences/Media' (Windows)....

Still working ok here with no more re-conforming!

Good luck!

CK

• 15. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
                                      CKyei99 Level 1

Hi Todd

Did you ever manage to officially look into this as it is a real problem happening to a growing number of people using Canon MXF files. Please read my recent posts on this thread.

This has seemed to work around the problem but surely this is something that needs fixing and including in a futrure update?

Please let us know your thoughts..

Thanks!

CK

• 16. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
                                        extremalis Level 1

Hi CK,

It is so far... i have just changed, and will monitor things to see if it improves. Its absurd that the same file is re-conforming for 8 times each time i re-load it.

Super frustrating.

To Adobe... u are getting new users on-board with your switcher program ... but lets solve these small problems, else u get more frustrated users again.

• 17. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
                                          extremalis Level 1

Hi CK,

somehow the problem still stays... i changed different folder for CS3 and CS5.5.

I actually change the external USB hardisk to be used on 2 different comps, both running CS5.5,

and when I transfer the same project hardisk over, it seems to take ages to conform yet again, so this has not improved my situation.

Any workaround u guys actually found out??

• 18. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
                                            CKyei99 Level 1

Hi

Did you also do this?

"

Uncheck the 'Write XMP ID to files on Import' checkbox under  'Edit/Preferences/Media' (Windows)...."

Still working ok here with no more re-conforming!

• 19. Re: CS5.5 Conforming!
                                              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

extremalis wrote:

Hi CK,

somehow the problem still stays... i changed different folder for CS3 and CS5.5.

I actually change the external USB hardisk to be used on 2 different comps, both running CS5.5,

and when I transfer the same project hardisk over, it seems to take ages to conform yet again, so this has not improved my situation.

Any workaround u guys actually found out??

If you are using a removable disk, you have to assign a fixed letter identifier to it or it will not be recognized after a reboot.

Good luck editing with a USB external disk drive, many USB drives do not have adequate transfer rates to support smooth editing.