13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2011 1:47 AM by SuiteSpot RSS

CS 5.5 VST plugins

Steve C2 Community Member

Several  32-bit plugins that worked in AA 3 now show as disabled in CS 5.5.  Additionally, CS 5.5 identifies these plugins as 7.1 plugins.  They work with stereo tracks and should be enabled under the stereo grouping.  Is  this a bug, or does CS 5.5 have different requirements for VST plugins?

Thanks,

Steve

• 1. Re: CS 5.5 VST plugins

I have now noticed that the problematic plugins still are disabled via Effects/VST.  However, they work if accessed via the Effects Rack.  Why would this be the case?

• 2. Re: CS 5.5 VST plugins
            nahravka Community Member

izotope Ozone went without problems,

after loading WAVES Diamond, nothing works in trial version......

it took only 5 times re-load, and now it works, let's hope it was just trial version problem

• 3. Re: CS 5.5 VST plugins

Hi,

I do not have any WAVES plugins installed.  I realized that it would be more correct if I stated that the plugins I cannot use are grayed out if I go into Effects/VST. 

Please note that all of the many Voxengo plugins that I am testing work in Adobe Audition 3.0.1.  It is only in Adobe Audition CS 5.5 that they are having problems.  Both applications are 32-bit, but CS 5.5 is grouping some Voxengo plugins as "Stereo" and others as "7.1".

Thanks,

Steve

• 4. Re: CS 5.5 VST plugins

Hi Steve,

interesting to know about Voxengo - it is getting very popular.....

On positive side, now i can view multiple VST at same time when they are in Rack.

In my case it was maybe issue Windows 7 64 bit and Waves are V6 extended,

maybe V7, V8 works without problems, would be nice to see some feedback

about newer versions.

and funny part is, all WAVES got loaded as MONO & STEREO, so list is double,

compare to what it was in AU1.5 and AU3.0

• 5. Re: CS 5.5 VST plugins

Hi Nahravka,

I contacted Voxengo for their response and I was told that they have notified Adobe that Voxengo's multichannel plugins do not work with CS 5.5.  While this response might suggest that the issue is related to how Audition has changed, I am not willing to conclude this yet.  It would be helpful if some Adobe staff who are viewing this forum can comment and offer advice so that potential purchasers of CS 5.5 can understand what they are getting into.  It sounds like you are fine with the latest Waves plugins.  Regarding Waves, could you comment about your feelings about specific ones as far as your results with Audition?  While I am well aware of Waves, I have been trying to resist buying a dongle just so I could test drive their products.

Regarding Voxengo's plugins, the ones that are not multichannel - that is, they are just "stereo" are said to work.  Regarding the multichannel plugins and let's use GlissEQ as an example... from the Effects Rack, it looks like one can invoke the GlissEQ plugin and one can even tweak its settings.  However, when one closes the plugin window, the plugin does not show in the Effects Rack.

Having mentioned GlissEQ as an example, it seems like the new Audition EQ could be an improvement over that in AA 3.  And this is not to say that the AA 3 parametric EQ is bad.  I simply had been using Ozone.

Steve

• 6. Re: CS 5.5 VST plugins
                    SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

Steve C2 wrote:

I contacted Voxengo for their response and I was told that they have notified Adobe that Voxengo's multichannel plugins do not work with CS 5.5.  While this response might suggest that the issue is related to how Audition has changed, I am not willing to conclude this yet.

As an experiment, I tried Voxengo's Precise audio delaying plugin - because it's free and is multichannel. In the book it says that it's quite happy to work as a stereo delay, and also that it supports a few rather more useful things, like MS adjustments, etc. But with a two-channel (stereo) recording, you cannot apply it - it shows up as a greyed-out 7:1 plugin. So I'd say that there's a good chance that something certainly is astray - but in the past manufacturers have claimed that it was Audition, and then promptly found out to their embarassment that it wasn't Audition at all, but them. The problem often turns out to be that Adobe interprets the VST guidelines quite rigorously, but a few plugin manufacturers seem to take shortcuts - simply because they think they can get away with it. In this instance I can see distinct possibilities from both sides...

I honestly don't know which way around it is at present - it really could be either party, quite frankly. We will have to await developments...

• 7. Re: CS 5.5 VST plugins

Do you know of, or have, any other multichannel plugins that should work in stereo as well, but don't? Might help to pin down what's going on here.

• 8. Re: CS 5.5 VST plugins

I wrote:

I honestly don't know which way around it is at present - it really could be either party, quite frankly. We will have to await developments...

Further investigation now indicates that it's not looking so good for Adobe. If you open the Precise audio delay plugin in AA3.0.1 it opens up fine - even gives you an option to limit its operation to work with hosts that don't support multichannel VSTs properly. So I set that, and then tried it in AA4 again. Still no joy. I'll file it.

*update* It's now in the bug system.

• 9. Re: CS 5.5 VST plugins

Hi SteveG,

Thank you for investigating the cause.

I was going to provide you with a list of plugins, but It sounds like that's not necessary now.  But, shout if you still want it.

Steve

• 10. Re: CS 5.5 VST plugins

Hi Nahravka,

You might want to report your issue as a potential bug.  Adobe says that the trial version is the official product.

Steve

• 11. Re: CS 5.5 VST plugins

Hi Steve,

for now it seems to work fine, main problem was to load it in and it was 1 of "shell dll"

what was taking forever to be recognized by AU and crash after 2 minutes.

In few days i will prune some moduls what are useless for me from that bundle

and re-load it again with some detailed feedback to Adobe.

It will be interesting to know, how CLICKFIX from Jefferey Klein works in new AU 5.5 ?

In all old versions it was inserted directly to AU tools (not as VST), and if Click/Crackle

tool in AU was not doing job, CLICKFIX was great. To me, that tool should be as standard

part of every new version of AU.

cheers

• 12. Re: CS 5.5 VST plugins
                                junh1024 Community Member

Yes it changed. Wouldn't it be a simple fix for Audition Engineers to just enable multichannel (7.1, 5.1, 4.0, other configs) plugins to be availble as lower channel config plugs (5.1, 2.0) ?

• 13. Re: CS 5.5 VST plugins
                                  SuiteSpot Community Member

Unfortunately what may seem simple to those not involved in the programming I suspect that

there is a lot more to it than that.