16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2012 4:39 AM by Joe Tam

CS Extension Builder 1.5 and CS SDK 1.5 are available

gabriel_tavridis Level 1

I am pleased to announce that the latest versions (1.5) of Creative Suite Extension Builder and the Creative Suite SDK are now available through the downloads section on the CS Extension Builder website.

The team has applied significant effort to deliver a release only 12 months after the 1.0 release and we believe that it will be as successful as the first one.

Some of the highlights of the 1.5 release are:

• improved support for hybrid extensions (more)
      • ability to develop for multiple versions of the Creative Suite (more)
      • advanced tools for developing with XMP metadata (more)
      • support for Content Management Systems that support the CMIS (Content Management Interoperability Services) specification
      • extension profiling

To find out more about the 1.5 release, take a look our CS Extension Builder page on Adobe Developer Connection. Over the next  few weeks we will be pushing more content (tutorials, articles, videos) to this page and we intend to make it the main resource center for Creative Suite developers. You can also check the our channel on youtube.

As always your feedback is important.

We hope you enjoy the new release!

gabriel tavridis

Product Manager, Developer Technologies

@gtavridis

• 1. Re: CS Extension Builder 1.5 and CS SDK 1.5 are available
              nsardo

FYI, I've tried downloading it, from the extension builder page... it is a dead link, in that when the downloader attempts to download it, it comes up with a FILE NOT FOUND error.  This after reading the trial was extended to December 1.  So, though theres a download page, and an adobe developer page with lots of neat links on how to use it, etc., one cannot actually download the product!  Not cool.

• 2. Re: CS Extension Builder 1.5 and CS SDK 1.5 are available
                lomorgan Adobe Employee

This should now be working again, apologies for the downtime.

Louis

• 3. Re: CS Extension Builder 1.5 and CS SDK 1.5 are available
                  pyskoluk Level 1

Hi there,

I haven't had problem with doownloading as "nsardo". But when I installed it and tried to use it for the first time I got this message: "The CS Extension Builder Trial period has expired"

Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks,

//pyso

• 4. Re: CS Extension Builder 1.5 and CS SDK 1.5 are available
                    gabriel_tavridis Level 1

Are you behind a firewall or something that is blocking your access to the internet?

gabriel

• 5. Re: CS Extension Builder 1.5 and CS SDK 1.5 are available
                      pyskoluk Level 1

Hi Gabriel,

yes, actualy I tried it on PC at my work and it's behind firewall which blocks some sites and ports.

//pyso

• 6. Re: CS Extension Builder 1.5 and CS SDK 1.5 are available
                        thx1138 Level 1

Hi I just downloaded this and the site says it expires on Dec 1st in 3 days. There's no way I can evaluate it in that time. Is there anything you can tell me about if and when I should install this?

• 7. Re: CS Extension Builder 1.5 and CS SDK 1.5 are available
                          gabriel_tavridis Level 1

Thx1138,

The trial expiration period date will be extended beyond Dec 1st, so you ll have time to evaluate. After the expiration date, there will be both a trial and a paid version of extension builder for download at the adobe store.

• 9. Re: CS Extension Builder 1.5 and CS SDK 1.5 are available
                            jefferysharp

This is great info, more than you get from support, the ADEP enterprise guys @18886492990, dont have a clue yet its list as an ADEP service on http://www.adobe.com/devnet/aedp.html,

Thats a lot of money for them not to know

And whats up with adobe and flex, why on one end their trying to dump flex and the other end they are pushing new flash technologies that my business relys on.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/flex-announcements.html

http://blogs.adobe.com/flex/

Do these different departments have communication at all....

I was on the phone for two hours today trying to get answers to these two simple questions.  

Well next business catalyst... wish me luck

• 10. Re: CS Extension Builder 1.5 and CS SDK 1.5 are available
                              Harbs. Level 6

Adobe has been pretty horrible on the communication end of things.

There were a few different things that happened simultaneously:

1) Adobe announced they are stopping development of the Flash mobile plugin. Being that iOS has a very large percentage of the market and nothing Adobe could do would get the Flash plugin on iOS devices, this made a lot of sense.

2) Adobe announced that it would be open-sourcing the Flex framework. This is NOT an announcement that the Flex framework would no longer be supported. Adobe recently open-sourced (the HTML5) Phone Gap as well -- which they just bought and will be pushing rather strongly in the future. Theoretically open-sourcing the framework is a good thing because it gives developers more of a say in how it continues to develop. Adobe is keeping a team of developers working on continued development of the Flex framework.

3) Adobe announced that it will be reorganizing resources to concentrate on HTML5 tools because they see HTML5 as being the primary development environment in the long term (read ~5 years from now). Considering that Adobe is primarily a company which supplies tools, it makes a lot of sense for them to focus on providing tools for HTML5 because there's a strong world-wide push in that direction.

None of this means that Flex or Flash is being dropped! Flash Builder, the desktop Flash plugin and AIR will continue being developed as usual. I have no intention of dropping Actionscript development in the near future. There is no good replacement yet.

One thing I can say: Adobe should really hire someone who will do a much better job on the PR of Flash / AIR. Showcasing the new AIR based Touch apps would be a good place to start...

Harbs

• 11. Re: CS Extension Builder 1.5 and CS SDK 1.5 are available
                                jefferysharp Level 1

Thanks for the feedback Harbs,

Yeah I couldnt agree with you more on the open source aspect. Maybe well get some form of AIR support on linux for those of use who develop on linux as well (doubt it comes back with Adobe driving the train)  who knows what the future holds.. GOD KNOWS IM SICK OF CYGWIN... 

All I'm saying is we cant build a business around uncertainty.

We recently signed up for business catalyst, I would of like'd to see some Actionscript API's for that... (I Love how muse and the dreamweaver extensions are using  them but it seem they forget to package some up for us. I guess they really do expect us to use html5 for everything.)

They are close to releasing Flash builder 4.6 but Creative Suite Extension Builder hasnt been updated...  Theres a lot of things getting left out...

There seems to be no communication.  Amidst all that goodness that has drawn us to using Flash and Adobe AIR for our game development theres a lot of confusion.

And take it from me and save yourself some time and dont call customer service I have found more info over the forums in two minutes then I did in four hours of phone conversation.

I think we may just hold off on purchasing anything else until they sort through the storm.

Consider we are currently developing our apps with  Business Catalyst, CS5.5 Web Premium, Flash Media Server,  CS Extension Builder, and there new flash 3d API's  we dont have time or money to waste on such foolishness..

Someone needs to remind Adobe that they make software, They focus so much on the end users, THEY ARE NOT YOUR CUSTOMERS.. DESIGNERS AND DEVELOPERS ARE.. JUST EQUIP US WITH THE BEST TOOLS AND WELL MAKE THE DECISION...

• 12. Re: CS Extension Builder 1.5 and CS SDK 1.5 are available
                                  Harbs. Level 6

Don't worry. I've never called customer service, and I never plan to.

I have lots of friends, and when I need help, I find the address myself...

For info, there's no question that these forums are just about the best place to go. If you need help, ask away!

How's Business Catalyst working out for you? I've never really examined it...

• 13. Re: CS Extension Builder 1.5 and CS SDK 1.5 are available
                                    jefferysharp Level 1

I havent had it long, but it's actually a pretty good service, its saving me a lot of time setting things up. Like I said I wish they had released a flash library to access it. I did find a tut for flex though, and I could also use some server side scripting through FMS's Webservices class.

and I dont know if I should say this here but I unzipped Muse and inspected the swf to take a peak at the bc library they used for it. So I'm contemplating writing my own.

Other than that I think itll be great for business. I will easily be able to build, track, troubleshoot and update apps for my clients and provide them some nice analytics about how their app is doing.

• 14. Re: CS Extension Builder 1.5 and CS SDK 1.5 are available
                                      gabriel_tavridis Level 1

Jeffrey,

(Harbs thanks for your response)

I hear your concerns about Flash and Flex. I fully understand that you cannot build a business and make sound decisions around uncertainty. However  (as Harbs said) Flash and Flex are not dropped and there is no good replacement for Actionscript.

Regarding CS Extension Builder we are releasing an update to the 1.5 version to work with flash Builder 4.6 and we have also started our prerelease for the next version that will contain greater product support and features that focus on developer productivity.

Our team is making significant investments on the extension development front and we will continue to provide low cost, high leverage developer tooling and a solid development experience. That said, I also understand that there are things missing from our current version and hence I urge you to bring these things in the forums or the prerelease.

Hope that helps alleviate some of your concerns.

--

gabriel tavridis

product manager

PS: You can join the CS Extension Builder prerelease here: http://bit.ly/csextbuilder

• 15. Re: CS Extension Builder 1.5 and CS SDK 1.5 are available
                                        pyskoluk Level 1

Hi Gabriel once more,

I work at company which follows strict security rules that's why I cann't run Extension Builder. Some ports and adresses are simply blocked here. Is there any way how to find out which port or site should be allowed? Our IT guys could allow it then on my PC.

Thanks.

//pyso

• 16. Re: CS Extension Builder 1.5 and CS SDK 1.5 are available
                                          Joe Tam

Hi Pyso,

Please allow port 80 on these addresses:

Let me know if you still have problems using Extension Builder.

Joe