11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 11:49 AM by wanyan86

HDR Pro on CS 5 - Merged image appears but bottom with save buttons cut off??

2006mjc

When I select photos to merge, either via Bridge or within CS5 (Automate/Merge to HDR Pro), the Merged image appears over the CS5 screen.  However, the bottom of the HDR screen with the photos selected for the merge along with the Cancel & Save buttons are cut off.  The only way for me to exit HDR is to force quit.

My monitor resolution is 1440X900 which is better than the 1024x768 required for CS5.

I noticed the same problem in Terry White's video on Youtube describing workflow between Lightroom & CS5 HDR Pro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rab25UTe6HY) as well as a couple of other users mentioning the problem to Zeno Bokor of Adobe (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-78e5a.h tml).

Does anyone have a solution???

Thanks.

• 1. Re: HDR Pro on CS 5 - Merged image appears but bottom with save buttons cut off??
          2006mjc Level 1

I found the soluion - after spending over an hour with Adobe phone support (800-833-6687) - of which 45min was being on hold.

It turns out that for some computers, Photoshop CS5 doesn't automatically work as efficiently as it could with the monitor resolution, even if the resolution is > than the minimum 1024 X 768.  This is more frequent in those that have had older versions of Photoshop in them. This causes part of the screen to be cut off when going into HDR Pro.

One has to "prime" CS5 to recognize one's computer monitor settings.  How to do:

• Close out of PS CS5
          • Go to system preferences and select hardware settings/display (For PC would have to go through Control Panel/Hardware/Display)
          • Change monitor setting to one recommended by Adobe: 1024 X 768 or 1280 X 800
          • Save changes.  Monitor will look less clear if you have been using higher settings...it's ok for now.

• Now open CS5 again and access HDR Pro all three ways available, i.e. via Bridge, Mini Bridge and through PS under File/Automate. 
          • Verify that the entire screen is visible including all thumbnails and Save/Close buttons.
          • Close out of CS5.

• Go back to System Preferences ( for PC, go through Control Panel) and change back to your preferred resolution.

• Voila! When you open CS5 again you should be able to see the entire screen.

For example, I use a Macbook Pro with OS 10.6.7 and the monitor resolution  was set to 1440 X 900.  However, I still couldn't see the bottom of the  screen with the Save/Close buttons so couldn't save any work (had to  force quit or escape to exit HDR).  After doing the above steps, I am now able to use HDR Pro w/o problem and access the Merge via all three modes.

• Via  Mini Bridge - Choose photos to merge--> Tools (above photos, last on right in Content bar) --> Photoshop --> Merge to HDR Pro
          • Via Bridge - Choose photos to merge--> Tools (Tool Bar beside "Adobe CS5 Bridge" at left top of screen; 3rd from end) --> Photoshop --> Merge to HDR
          • Via inside Photoshop - File --> Automate -->  Merge to HDR

Since this seems to have affected several people and is a simple solution, I have asked the supervisor I spoke to, Laurie, to please have someone in Adobe post this solution.

Hope this helped.

MJC

• 2. Re: HDR Pro on CS 5 - Merged image appears but bottom with save buttons cut off??
            2006mjc Level 1

Unfortunately, after my last comment, the problem has returned...the only thing I did in the interim was re-start my Mac.   Now when I try the previous solution of changing monitor display resolution, the Save/Cancel buttons remain cut off - regardless of the resolution.

Have tried both solutions recommended on Adobe tech: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/843/cpsid_84349.html but no go...

Does anyone have a longterm solution?  I use a Mac with OS 10.6.7.

• 3. Re: HDR Pro on CS 5 - Merged image appears but bottom with save buttons cut off??
              Meredith Payne Stotzner Adobe Employee

Hello,

We're working on a better solution for this problem.

In the meantime the workarounds are to:

1. Move your Dock to the Left or Right position (Apple > Dock > Dock Preferences...)

or

2. Try adjusting the size of the Dock to mid-range from either of the extremes Large/Small. Also try turning Auto-hide dock off.

or

3. Change your screen resolution.

For Windows Only:
              Turn off the Auto-Hide Task Bar  (right-click on Task Bar: Properties, Auto-hide Task Bar checkbox = OFF) with resolution set to 1280 x 800.

If, for some reason, none of these options work for you, OK = Enter and Cancel = ESC on your keyboard. To change the selected (green-outlined) image for Remove Ghosts, click on the thumbnail for the image instead of the checkbox at the bottom.

This issue is covered in the following document and should be able to be located by entering keywords such as HDR, cut off, OK, or Cancel in the Adobe.com Search field.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/843/cpsid_84349.html

Thanks for your patience,

Meredith

• 4. Re: HDR Pro on CS 5 - Merged image appears but bottom with save buttons cut off??
                2006mjc Level 1

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, have tried all those - including hiding the dock to maximized monitor view - and no help.  The Save/Cancel buttons are still not visible.

Even when I click "Enter" (for OK) this does not save the changes made, so when I exit HDR Pro via "Escape" or "Force Quit", I lose the changes.

Just so you and others know, this is on a Macbook Pro Laptop with OS 10.6.7.

I spoke to another Adobe technician (again, not a senior level tech as had been requested) - No help.

I have even uninstalled and re-installed Photoshop CS5 - No help

Below are screenshots of at both 1280X800 and 1440X900 resolutions - both with dock hidden.  As you can see, Save/Cancel buttons are cut off regardless.

Screen shot 2011-05-23 HDR at 1280X800.png

Screen shot 2011-05-23 HDR at 1440X900.png

Thanks for any additional insight you can give.

• 5. Re: HDR Pro on CS 5 - Merged image appears but bottom with save buttons cut off??
                  2006mjc Level 1

Good news...HDR PRo is now working fine and I can see the full screen with Cancel/Save buttons below.

Per suggestion of one of the product managers at Adobe, here is what I did (Mac User):

• Update all programs in CS5 (Keeping Photoshop Up-To-Date: http://adobe.ly/PS-Up-To-Date )
                  • Restore PS preferences (http://adobe.ly/PS_Prefs)
                  • Decrease resolution to recommended 1280X800 (System Preferences/Display)
                  • Open photos in PS once to create a correctly screened HDR photo, i.e. with Cancel/Save buttons visible below.
                  • Close out of PS to restore the monitor resolution to the higher setting
                  • Now when HDR Pro comes up, the full screen is visible and one can save the changes.

Please note that after updating and restoring PS preferences, bottom was still cut off.  I had to "prime" my monitor settings with CS5, i.e. closed out of PS CS 5 and decreased the resolution back down to the 1280X800.  When I reopened PS and did the HDR, I finally had the entire screen - Cancel/Save below.  I closed out of CS5 again and restored the monitor resolution back up to the 1440X900.  Voila! now I had the better resolution and the full screen on HDR...

Here is what the screen looks like now.  With the Save button below, I can now save the changes.  I just hope this lasts...

Screen shot 2011-05-25 HDR Good 1440X900.png

• 6. Re: HDR Pro on CS 5 - Merged image appears but bottom with save buttons cut off??
                    2006mjc Level 1

Unfortunately, this problem has recurred AGAIN.

It seems to happen whenever I shut my computer off and restart (vs. hibernate) or after a period of 1 -2 weeks - not sure which.

In any case, now the bottom of the HDR page with the control buttons to SAVE/CANCEL are cut off AGAIN.

I have made sure all Adobe and Mac software is updated.

I have changed the display setting to the lower 1280X800 and restarted the computer and PS.

Unfortunately, no improvement.  Below is the latest screen shot of the HDR after all the above.  Display resolution is the recommended 1280X800 and the display dock is hidden to optimize screen space.  However, as you can see the bottom is still cut off; thus can't save work.

Screen shot 2011-06-08 at 5.30.00 PM.png

Why does this keep recurring???  And, each time it does, prior solutions don't work??!!

HELP!

Thank you.

• 7. Re: HDR Pro on CS 5 - Merged image appears but bottom with save buttons cut off??
                      runrgrl Level 1

I've had the same problem with missing buttons on the screen, and found a solution for the Save issue in another forum: Just hit the Enter button, and it saves the changes, taking the image back to photoshop. However, I don't know what to do if you want to cancel! Good luck.

• 9. Re: HDR Pro on CS 5 - Merged image appears but bottom with save buttons cut off??
                        Meredith Payne Stotzner Adobe Employee

OK = Enter and Cancel = ESC on your keyboard. To change the selected  (green-outlined) image for Remove Ghosts, click on the thumbnail for the  image instead of the checkbox at the bottom.

There are some other global (changing the location of the dock) solutions offered in my post above.

Thanks!
                        Meredith

• 10. Re: HDR Pro on CS 5 - Merged image appears but bottom with save buttons cut off??
                          runrgrl Level 1

thanks, Meredith. Changing the dock settings didn't help, and the Save and Cancel button are still missing from the screen, but at least the keyboard shortcuts work well enough.

• 11. Re: HDR Pro on CS 5 - Merged image appears but bottom with save buttons cut off??
                            wanyan86

I have been experiencing the same problem (Cancel, Save buttons getting cut off on the Merge to HDR screen).  I found that if I change my Mac's dock position to either left, right or hidden, the buttons will appear correctly.  My default dock position is bottom, which prevents the buttons from being displayed regardless what else I tried (screen resolution, activiating scroll wheels, etc.).  As long as I change the dock position prior to invoking the Merge to HDR Pro function (even if PS is already running), the screen will display the buttons correctly.  I can change the dock position back to the bottom AFTER the Merge to HDR Pro screen is displayed, and it will not affect the display the buttons.

I have Photoshop CS5 Extended, version 12.1 64bit for Mac, Mac OS X 10.7.5.  The PS is update-to-date (Jan 2013).