3 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2011 8:58 AM by John T Smith

Premiere Pro CS5 not responding after 55 minutes of capture with intensity shuttle

Andrew the cyclist

Hi and thank you for the valuable resources on this forum.

I am capturing analogue video into Premiere Pro CS5 using he Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle (with Time Base Corrector in the video path).  My captures are stopping at 54 or 55 minutes when the computer becomes non responsive.  This has happened with the Blackmagic motion jpeg codec as well as the 10 bit YUV capture. Same thing happens if I capture with media express (the blackmagic capture software)

I have tweaked my system as per many of the recommendations in the forum.

Running CS5 5.03, autosave set to 10 minutes (same problem with no autosave or autosave at 20 minutes)

Windows 7 64 bit fully updated

i7 - 930 cpu

Gigabyte x58A - UDP5 (Revision 1)

24 Gb Ram

Nvidia 470 - MSI with the twin Frozr cooling solution.

Restore off, indexing off, windows search off,

Followed tips from forum and Viper regarding optimizing system

3 Hard drives

System on standard Sata 2 drive

Project capture to OCZ Vertex 3 120 g SSD drive (nice bit of gear) running on Sata 3 controller

Page file on another hard drive

Norton 360 unistalled

Anything else I could find unistalled or turned off.

Firmware and drivers for on board USB latest from Driver Station as per Blackmagic Recommendations.

Very succesful capture of things shorter than 55 minutes but I have some longer things I would like to capture in one go.

I have used process explorer to watch what happens.  Nothing special that I can identify in terms of processes but cpu seems to be going to 100%.

With progessive tweaks the problems remains the same.

I am not aware of any file size limits with Premire Pro or Blackmagic - are there some?

Considering reinstall but would greatly appreciate any insights.  My first post so I hope I have provided the right info to help you help me.

Thank you

Andrew

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 not responding after 55 minutes of capture with intensity shuttle
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since this happens with the BM software as well as PPro, I will GUESS the problem is with the BM device driver that links software to the device

I would check with BM to see if they have a fix

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 not responding after 55 minutes of capture with intensity shuttle
            Andrew the cyclist Level 1

Thank you John

Redownload and reinstralled drivers from BM and was able to break the magic 55 minutes.

regards

Andrew

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 not responding after 55 minutes of capture with intensity shuttle
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Good that you got it fixed... bridging device drivers have cause problems clear back to the computer version of the stone ages

I still have a Pinnacle Dv500 card (used via dual-boot with WinXP and Premiere 6x) that went through several device driver versions to get everything working right

While everything is working right... make a full "picture" of your hard drive to external USB drive to make recovering easy in case something goes wrong

Hardware crashes or virus infections happen, so you should buy software to make a full

backup of your hard drive to an external USB hard drive... plus, making step-by-step

backups during a new install or major program addition makes it easy to go back a step

if something doesn't work
              This backup and then restore is, of course, only to the same computer with a new drive

(or the same drive as long as you don't mind writing over everything) since doing a

restore to a new computer won't work due to Windows and many programs having activation

information that is keyed to your hardware (which is why Windows will force you to RE-

Activate if you change very much hardware)
              The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm
              Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to

make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden

registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore

the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything
              Please note that I own no part of Image, and I don't get a referral fee (that is just a

plain web link) but I use the program and it has saved me a LOT of trouble when I had a

hard drive die... and I was able to restore everything and not have to re-install or

re-activate a single program, from Windows on up