10 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2011 2:57 PM by RjL190365

Vista 64 bit vs. Windows 7

jdmack01 Level 1

I am running Premiere Pro CS5 on a Vista 64-bit computer, and I'm perfectly happy with it.  However, I have the disc to upgrade my system to Windows 7.  Is there any real benefit to doing the upgrade in regards to how well Premiere operates?

J. D.

• 1. Re: Vista 64 bit vs. Windows 7
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It is more the question about how stable the OS is and from that perspective Win7 is the clear winner, especially with SP1. Not only does it give you better stability, but it also offers you the opportunity to go for a clean install, which is much better than an upgrade. Just remember to deactivate CS5 first.

• 2. Re: Vista 64 bit vs. Windows 7
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adding to what Harm said... do NOT do an upgrade from Vista to Win7

I  have read MANY messages about the upgrade process not working correctly

Wipe your drive and do a fresh install

To make it easy to go back to where you started (ie- a Final Vista copy, then a copy after every new install step) buy a USB hard drive and use software to make a full drive copy to that external drive

Hardware crashes or virus infections happen, so you should buy software to make a full backup of your hard drive to an external USB hard drive... plus, making step-by-step backups during a new install or major program addition makes it easy to go back a step if something doesn't work
            This backup and then restore is, of course, only to the same computer with a new drive (or the same drive as long as you don't mind writing over everything) since doing a restore to a new computer won't work due to Windows and many programs having activation information that is keyed to your hardware (which is why Windows will force you to RE-Activate if you change very much hardware)
            The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm
            Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything
            Please note that I own no part of Image, and I don't get a referral fee (that is just a plain web link) but I use the program and it has saved me a LOT of trouble when I had a hard drive die... and I was able to restore everything and not have to re-install or re-activate a single program, from Windows on up

• 3. Re: Vista 64 bit vs. Windows 7
              eddiem100 Level 1

I found it a terrific advantage in terms of stability and overall speed.

I also highly suggest you do the clean install as described above, that is a very good suggestion.  Invevitably we have ended up doing a clean install everytime we didn't and it is much more stable.

But also note, depending on your system, you will most likely be limited if I recall to 4GB RAM with Windows 7 64 bit and you will absolutely need to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro to take advanntage of additional RAM.

• 4. Re: Vista 64 bit vs. Windows 7

Win7 64bit that is BELOW Pro has a ram limit of 16Gig... Pro has a much higher limit (I don't know the exact number) so a motherboard that CAN use 24Gig would need Win7 64bit PRO to actually be able to use that much ram

• 5. Re: Vista 64 bit vs. Windows 7
                  jdmack01 Level 1

Thank you all for your responses so far.  And I just realized that I  posted my question here instead of the "hardware" forum where I meant to  post it.

My Windows 7 disc is labeled "Windows 7 Home Premium.   For Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program."  I guess I'll just have to try it  to see if it will let me do a fresh install.

J. D.

• 6. Re: Vista 64 bit vs. Windows 7
                    Jeff Bellune Level 6
                    I  posted my question here instead of the "hardware" forum where I meant to  post it.

I hope you find the move satisfactory.

-Jeff

• 7. Re: Vista 64 bit vs. Windows 7

After you wipe the drive and start the install, you will need to either put the Vista disc in the drive or enter the Vista serial #

• 8. Re: Vista 64 bit vs. Windows 7
                        RjL190365 Level 4

John,

Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate (64-bit) have a maximum RAM limit of 192 GB.

• 9. Re: Vista 64 bit vs. Windows 7
                          MobyTrix Level 1

jdmack01 wrote:

I am running Premiere Pro CS5 on a Vista 64-bit computer, and I'm perfectly happy with it.  However, I have the disc to upgrade my system to Windows 7.  Is there any real benefit to doing the upgrade in regards to how well Premiere operates?

J. D.

I had problems with Vista 64-bit not releasing memory very often, leading to memory leaks that eventually caused swapping.  When I went to Windows 7 64-bit, the exact same workflow did not show these leaks.  So, for me, it was a very positive upgrade.

Vista was always very aggressive with background processes -- my hard drives were always accessing something in the background.  With Win7, things are much quieter.

I did a clean install; I did not run the upgrade procedure.  I have never, ever run an OS upgrade procedure that worked properly (well, maybe in the DOS days, and also with Debian-esque distros).

• 10. Re: Vista 64 bit vs. Windows 7
                            RjL190365 Level 4

John,

The Windows 7 upgrade does not work like that. In fact, Windows upgrades have not worked like that since the first Vista upgrade: The Setup program now no longer verifies any previous version of Windows. (The last retail upgrade version of Windows that checked the presence of a product key for a previous version of Windows was the Windows XP upgrade with Service Pack 2, released way back in 2004.) Instead, the user must install Windows as a 30-day trial version (do not enter the product key when asked) for the initial install (do not activate the trial install since activation will fail), and then after that trial install the user should run the upgrade install on top of the trial install (and this time the product key should be entered). Only then may the user activate Windows.