2 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2011 9:52 AM by Steve Grisetti

PE7 very slow Windows 7 64 bit

CanonHG10

Hi guys,

PE7 is running very slowly for me.

I'm running an i7 920 with 8GB of ram.

Windows 7 64 bit

Graphics card is Nvidia GeForce 9600GT running the latest driver V270.61

I am importing AVCHD videos into PE7 and then just dragging them across onto the work timeline and it just takes ages and hangs there for quite a while.

I can't edit the video on the timeline at all as it is just taking too long.

Any suggestions out there would be appreciated.

thanks

• 1. Re: PE7 very slow Windows 7 64 bit
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since AVCHD is a video file, not just a static picture, hard drive configuration is important

My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
          1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs
          2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video project files
          3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write files
          Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
          You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
          Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
          You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
          A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy video editing
          One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three

• 2. Re: PE7 very slow Windows 7 64 bit
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, ensure that your project is set up for your format of AVCHD (there are two formats and two different audio formats, so it's important you choose the right one). This will help somewhat. However, you will still need to render often (pressing Enter so that the red line above the clips on your timeline turns green).

Version 9 was the first Premiere Elements version to edit AVCHD natively and not require constant rendering.