14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2011 10:16 AM by Flex harUI

what component to display a matrix

eprevot123 Level 2

I want to create a grid with horizontal and vertical header, like Excel tables.

All the cells of this grid are independant :

seems to me that in a datagrid, the cells of a same row represent differents fields of a unique dataProvider element.

but here I want that each cell represent an independant element.

For example I would like to have a model that is a matrix, maybe an ArrayCollection of ArrayCollections, and each element of this matrix is displayed in the corresponding cell.

What component would you use ?

• 1. Re: what component to display a matrix
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

It depends on what else you want to do with it, like selection,

manipulation, animation.

You could just use constraintColumns/constraintRows, or TileLayout, or even

the old MX Grid/GridColumn/GridRow

• 2. Re: what component to display a matrix
            eprevot123 Level 2

I would like to be able to scroll vertically and horizontally, and still see the headers (like the datagrid does).

I tried to create a mxml component with DataGroup with TileLayout, surrounded by HGroup and VGroup for the headers but if I set scrollers on the datagroup then the headers don't follow, and if I set scrollers around the hole component then headers disapear when I scroll.

Plus the component takes 7sec to display the 240 cells, I still have to determine which of the model creation or the component displaying takes so long.

Can we have vertical and horizontal headers with MX Grid ?

Since I don't know what will be the number of row/columns, I would have to create the Grid/GridColumn/GridRow in an as file ?

• 3. Re: what component to display a matrix
              eprevot123 Level 2

I created a AS component with mx grid/gridRow/gridITem, and other grids for the horizontal and vertical headers, and synchronize the headers's scrollbar with the main grid scrollbars.

It works but it takes a loooong time to display. (about 6 seconds to display 4 columns, 17 rows, a renderer in each cell).

I click on a button to change the state of my application and display the grid.

My AS method to create the Grids/GridRows/GridItems takes 3 seconds to finish, then I receive a "addedToStage" event, and then I wait again 3secs to see the grid.

-> I don't understand the 3 secs between the addedToStage event and the display I see on screen.

-> If I can't reduce the time, at least I would like that the application changes as soon as I change the state, and see each cell displayed as it is created. How to do that ?

Edit : I tested with 20 rows, 20 columns => 1sec to calculate the Grid, 25secs to display the grid !!

• 4. Re: what component to display a matrix

Comment out the renderers and see how fast it is.  It might be something

about the renderers.

• 5. Re: what component to display a matrix
                  eprevot123 Level 2

Well of course with nothing in the renderer it's almost instantaneous.

But I need these renderers to display the information, otherwise the grid is useless...

Maybe flex draws every renderers instead of drawing only the visible ones.

I tried with DataGroup and TileLayout but has the same problem (too long to display).

You seem to think there is a problem with the renderer, do you have something in mind ? any clue ?

Edit : each renderer contains a Rect (to display the frame to have a grid), 2 labels, 1 textArea, 3 buttons with icon (icon is embeded once in another class)

• 6. Re: what component to display a matrix

Post the renderer code.

• 7. Re: what component to display a matrix
                      eprevot123 Level 2

Here is the mxml part of my renderer (Labels are bound on var sound:XMLList that has only one XML element) :

<s:Group>

<s:states>
                              <s:State id="noSound" name="noSound"/>
                              <s:State id="soundRecording" name="soundRecording"/>
                              <s:State id="soundRecorded" name="soundRecorded"/>
                          </s:states>

<s:Rect width="100%" height="100%" >
                              <s:fill>
                                  <s:SolidColor id="background" color="0xFFFFFF"/>
                              </s:fill>
                              <s:stroke>
                                  <s:SolidColorStroke color="0x000000" weight="1"/>
                              </s:stroke>
                          </s:Rect>

<s:Label x="5" y="5"
                                   text="{sound.@id}"
                                   includeInLayout="{isExpanded}" visible="{isExpanded}"/>
                          <s:Label x="40" y="5"
                                   includeIn="soundRecorded"
                                   includeInLayout="{isExpanded}" visible="{isExpanded}"
                                   text="{sound.@pathName}" toolTip="{sound.@pathName}"
                                   width="100%" maxDisplayedLines="1"/>

<s:TextArea id="descriTA" x="5" y="22"
                                      width="150" height="60"
                                      change="{descriChange(descriTA.text)}" text="{sound.@descri}"/>

<s:Image id="playImage" source="{SoundGrid.playIcon}"
                                   mouseDown="{playImage.source = SoundGrid.playIconDown}"
                                   mouseUp="{playImage.source = SoundGrid.playIcon}" mouseOut="{playImage.source = SoundGrid.playIcon}"
                                   includeIn="soundRecorded"
                                   x="5" y="84"
                                   toolTip="play"
                                   click="playClicked()" />
                          <s:Image id="recordImage" source="{SoundGrid.recordIcon}"
                                   mouseDown="{recordImage.source = SoundGrid.recordIconDown}"
                                   mouseUp="{recordImage.source = SoundGrid.recordIcon}" mouseOut="{recordImage.source = SoundGrid.recordIcon}"
                                   includeIn="noSound"
                                   x="5" y="84"
                                   toolTip="record"
                                   click="recordClicked()"/>
                          <s:Image id="stopImage" source="{SoundGrid.stopIcon}"
                                   mouseDown="{stopImage.source = SoundGrid.stopIconDown}"
                                   mouseUp="{stopImage.source = SoundGrid.stopIcon}" mouseOut="{stopImage.source = SoundGrid.stopIcon}"
                                   includeIn="soundRecording"
                                   x="5" y="84"
                                   toolTip="stop"
                                   click="stopClicked()"/>
                          <s:Image id="importImage" source="{SoundGrid.importIcon}"
                                   mouseDown="{importImage.source = SoundGrid.importIconDown}"
                                   mouseUp="{importImage.source = SoundGrid.importIcon}" mouseOut="{importImage.source = SoundGrid.importIcon}"
                                   includeIn="noSound"
                                   x="50" y="84"
                                   toolTip="import"
                                   click="importClicked()"/>

</s:Group>

• 8. Re: what component to display a matrix

You might want to use the profiler to see if it shows anything as being

slow.  There is lots of bindings which can be slow, and lots of mx:Images

which could be slow if the images are big or external.

• 9. Re: what component to display a matrix
                          eprevot123 Level 2

In the renderer, it is the textArea and the Images that take the most time. But I still don't know how to speed up the display.

I can remove binding and update the cells myself but I want to have Images in each cell.

Are you saying that this display time is normal ? as long as I use binding and Image (and textArea) I won't be able to display faster the renderers ?

(what is external image ? mine is in the src/assets folder)

• 10. Re: what component to display a matrix

Images are either embedded or loaded at runtime.  Loading at runtime takes

more time.  Another factor is the original size of the image vs the

displayed size.  If I take a full photograph that is 10's of MB in size and

display it down in a small area, that will also take time.

• 11. Re: what component to display a matrix
                              eprevot123 Level 2

I embed the images, and they are 4K (16x16 pixels icon).

• 12. Re: what component to display a matrix

I don't think a 16x16 icon should be 4K in size.  If you are asking the

player to scale it down, that may take extra time.

• 13. Re: what component to display a matrix
                                  eprevot123 Level 2

I don't set any height/width to the Image, no code to scale the image, it displays it as it is.

Anyway I tried to replace the Images by Buttons without icon, and the time to display the grid is the same. So I don't think I can gain time on this part.

But I tried to replace the TextArea by a Label and it's better.

I added a listener to trace "added" events on the renderer and I see many traces for the scrollers of the TextArea.

I tried to remove the scrollers from the TextArea : scroller="{null}" horizontalScrollPolicy="off" verticalScrollPolicy="off"

But I still trace all the scrollers "added" events.

Is there a way to not calculate scrollers when displaying a spark TextArea ?

And does it seem likely to you that TextArea scrollers are the main source of my problem ?

• 14. Re: what component to display a matrix

Probably.  If you don't ever want them, use some component like

RichEditableText that doesn't have scrollbars built in.