15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2015 10:40 PM by OriKuper

CS 5 AE comps with Premiere Pro different in CS5.5

LareeDraper Level 1

I just upgraded to CS5.5 this morning. I'd been working on a Premiere Pro project with imported AE comps for lower third titles. After the upgraded, those comps are no longer transparent -- they cover the underlying video tracks rather than just having a partial opacity lower third strip. I assume this has to do with an alpha layer problem? They were working perfectly before the upgrade, not working now. Anyone have any idea what's wrong and what do to about it?

Thanks!

Laree

• 1. Re: CS 5 AE comps with Premiere Pro different in CS5.5
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

When you first come to this forum's page, there are a bunch of Sticky Threads, one of which is called, "Preparing for and troubleshooting installation and activation".

I don't think it's there just 'cause it looks pretty.  You ought to check it out.

• 2. Re: CS 5 AE comps with Premiere Pro different in CS5.5
            LareeDraper Level 1

No need to be rude, but thanks for taking the time to respond just the same. I don't see the answer to my question on that page. Did you have a specific section in mind?

• 3. Re: CS 5 AE comps with Premiere Pro different in CS5.5
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Since I'm getting ready to install the upgrade to CS 5.5, I'll let you know when I'm all done.  I've got a few things to check first. 

Installing CS5 was a cakewalk: It was the third thing I installed on a brand-new machine.  The first two: Quicktime Pro and CS4.  In that order.  With the firewall turned off.  When done, I turned the firewall back on, opened the software, and haven't looked back since.

• 4. Re: CS 5 AE comps with Premiere Pro different in CS5.5
                Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

I assume that by "imported AE comps for lower third titles", you mean that you are using Dynamic Link to import the AE comps directly into Premiere Pro, as opposed to rendering them to a file first.

We are investigating a problem in Premiere Pro CS5.5 and Dynamic Link that may be to blame for this.

Does your setup match the following:

1. The background color of the After Effects comp is not black.  (Not RGB 0, 0, 0.)
                2. Hardware acceleration is enabled for Mercury Playback Engine in Premiere Pro.  (Project menu > Project Settings > General, Renderer is set to "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration".)

If so, you may have tripped over the same bug we're looking at.  Sorry about that.  The cause of the problem is being investigated.

You can work around the problem by doing either of the following:

• Change the background color of your comp to black. (RGB 0, 0, 0.)
                • Change the Renderer setting in Premiere Pro to Mecury Playback Engine Software Only.

If this problem doesn't match your situation, please elaborate on the contents and settings of your project, and/or post some examples for us to look at.

-=TimK

-=Adobe After Effecs QE

• 5. Re: CS 5 AE comps with Premiere Pro different in CS5.5
                  LareeDraper Level 1

Bingo! Thanks, yes, that's my problem and yes, your workaround fix it for now.

• 6. Re: CS 5 AE comps with Premiere Pro different in CS5.5

Great!  Glad to have found the culprit.  One follow-up question for you, then.

Do you have the Cineform codecs installed on your machine?

This may be relevant to our investigation, or it may be a red herring.

• 8. Re: CS 5 AE comps with Premiere Pro different in CS5.5
                      LareeDraper Level 1

As it turns out, just changing the render setting to Mecury Playback Engine Software Only does the trick. I changed the background of the first AE comp to black, but when I checked the other AE comps after changing the render setting, they're working, too -- without changing the background to black.

• 9. Re: CS 5 AE comps with Premiere Pro different in CS5.5

Right, you don't need to do both things.  EITHER change the comp background color to black or use Mercury Software Only.  Given the choice, I'd just change the comp background color; since you're using the comp alpha in the first place there's not much purpose to the background color.

• 10. Re: CS 5 AE comps with Premiere Pro different in CS5.5
                          LareeDraper Level 1

Ah! I missed that, thought you meant do both.

I have about a hundred of these, so I think I'll switch the renderer for now, until you get the bug fix.

Thanks again very much, Tim.

• 11. Re: CS 5 AE comps with Premiere Pro different in CS5.5
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I've put Tim's suggested workarounds into a document in our Technical Support Knowledgebase:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/903/cpsid_90376.html

• 12. Re: CS 5 AE comps with Premiere Pro different in CS5.5
                              LareeDraper Level 1

In case someone needs this workaround and doesn't realize this: Using the software-only option is quite a bit slower. If you can, change the backgrounds in AE, or, of course, for new projects, set the backgrounds to black.

• 13. Re: CS 5 AE comps with Premiere Pro different in CS5.5
                                AtonMusic Level 2

Nice workaround...

I would put a HUGE " OR "

between the two lines of that tech note.

I bet 50% of all those reading it will be leveraging both options simultaneously !

And that second option could be devastating to workflow speed !

• 14. Re: CS 5 AE comps with Premiere Pro different in CS5.5
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This bug has been fixed in the Premiere Pro CS5.5 (5.5.1) update.

After you've installed that update, let us know how it works for you.

• 15. Re: CS 5 AE comps with Premiere Pro different in CS5.5
                                    OriKuper Level 1

Hello Tim (and everyone else!), I know this is an old post, about the issue of black frames in comps with AE materials in them, but I just can't find info about similar problem in my Premiere CC 2014, w/o AE involved:

I Shot MTS files >>> converted them into smaller MOVs for proxies >>> while playing it (realtime and rendered previews) and unfortunately also WHEN RENDERED: everything on the timelines is running fine, other than one spot:

It's a few secs piece of a nested sequence. It's playing fine inside the nested sequence itself, but no-where outside of it, including not when rendered for preview. In the past, I experienced times when premiere was playing blacks in random places, as if premiere just 'hated that specific spot on the timeline', but then normally deleting the cache and previews, and/or shifting the whole timeline few secs right or left in the sequence, was enough to reset it and the video showed up again with no problem.

This time I've tried that, and also:

1. relinking to the mov file

2. replacing with the original mts file

3. moving and doubling the layers in the nested sequence

4. playing around with opacity of the problematic clip

5. creating a new file with a different name and replacing with it

6. resetting premiere

7. saving the project in another name

NOTHING seems to work. So I browsed around and found this thread, and decided to try it with premiere, even though there was no relation to AE. I first tried to put an additional black layer under my mov inside the nested sequence (I know, it has only to do with the transparency coming from AE but I thought I'd try) and that didn't do anything. The only time that this black piece YES GOES AWAY, and real footage is showing, is when I'm turning off CUDA for the project. Which I don't want to do. So: Any idea about what I can do in order to solve this very strange problem in my PP timeline?

Important to know that:

1. there is no AE stuff in that shot/clip/nested sequence

2. the nested sequence on that timeline is chopped into few pieces that are all next to each other (some time-remapped); the 'black part' shows in the middle of one of those pieces, and not in the beginning/end of a piece.

3. The black part 'location on the timeline', is also not related to any beginning or ending of any of the 2 clips inside the nested sequence, nor to the 1 cross dissolve between them. ***Edit: I checked it again - it seems that the black on my main timeline starts when the dissolve starts inside the nested sequence (! ),  and ends not related to that inner dissolve, but at the end of that piece on the main (! ) timeline. End of edit***

4. When I turned off CUDA I'm deleting previews. No problem! Great! When I turned CUDA back on again it asks again to delete previews. Awesome! Those deletions would probably reset this whole timeline and it would greatly show as it should!! Right?!

Well, not really, as apparently when I brought CUDA back again - this same spot shows again as black

Any info would help, or if you guys can direct me, or this thread to a place where I can find the answer, that would be great too. Thanks!

Ori.