13 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2011 9:01 AM by Todd_Kopriva

AE CS 5.5 - Exporting 30fps TIFF Sequences from a 29.97 Source and Comp

AtonMusic Level 2

Hi...

just exported (Sorry Dave La Ronde) - added it to render queue ;-)))) a 29.97fps Movie residing in a 29.97 comp.

It came out as 30fps

Any Ideas ?

• 1. Re: AE CS 5.5 - Exporting 30fps TIFF Sequences from a 29.97 Source and Comp
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

It would be interesting to know what's telling you that the file is 30 fps.

And someday you'll learn that exporting-rendering thing.

• 2. Re: AE CS 5.5 - Exporting 30fps TIFF Sequences from a 29.97 Source and Comp
            AtonMusic Level 2

So I tried this:

From AE I drag and dropped the Comp into AME.

That let me export the TIFF SEQ as 29.97 which is the correct FR.

Then I re-imported it into AE. AE then interpreted it as 30fps.

Then comp it created was also a 30fps comp.

Goes without saying that editing this comp was nothing but smooth.

I then re-interpreted the TIFF Footage to 29.97 and the set the comp accordingly.

That took care of the problem...

I am NOT so familiar with TIFF SEQs but I think THIS must be a bug

M.

• 3. Re: AE CS 5.5 - Exporting 30fps TIFF Sequences from a 29.97 Source and Comp
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

AtonMusic wrote:

Then I re-imported it into AE. AE then interpreted it as 30fps.

Then comp it created was also a 30fps comp.

Ooooohhhhh.... well, that's because AE defaults to interpreting still image sequences as 30 fps.  You can change the image sequence's frame rate in the Interpret Footage settings, or you can change the default frame rate in AE's Preferences.

And life gets better again.

• 4. Re: AE CS 5.5 - Exporting 30fps TIFF Sequences from a 29.97 Source and Comp
                AtonMusic Level 2

AE is TELLING me that it is 30fps.

When re-Importing it.

I noticed that it was 30fps as I dragged it into Mocha. THought Mocha was wrong.

Also, when dragging THAT exported TIFF into AME it throws an error that the TIFF SEQ is using a non-allowed bit depth.

Strange !!!!

--- Dave, I dont feel like writing ' I added the movie to the render queue and used the 4444 output module' when I can say - I exported the media to 4444.

The EXPORT dialog in AE has not been around since years and I promise you my dear, YOU will save YOURSELF a lot of vocabulary and keyboards from wearing out by simly adjusting to the modern term of taking ONE file from ONE app into ANOTHER.. All THAT can be said with Import/Export.

We use that term here in Europe all the time ;-)

• 5. Re: AE CS 5.5 - Exporting 30fps TIFF Sequences from a 29.97 Source and Comp
                  AtonMusic Level 2

THanks DAVE.....

MUUUUCH - appreciated

Owe you one !

• 6. Re: AE CS 5.5 - Exporting 30fps TIFF Sequences from a 29.97 Source and Comp
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

I like Jever.  You can't get it in Iowa.

• 7. Re: AE CS 5.5 - Exporting 30fps TIFF Sequences from a 29.97 Source and Comp
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

AtonMusic wrote:

Oh, you think everything is a bug.  I learned the hard way that the first place to look when AE gives you an unexpected result is in the mirror.

And you can always say, "I rendered a QT Movie in ProRes 4444".  You don't have to say, "I exported a QT Movie in ProRes 4444".  AE practitioners have been using this simple differentiation in terms for years.

Easy, huh?

• 8. Re: AE CS 5.5 - Exporting 30fps TIFF Sequences from a 29.97 Source and Comp
                        AtonMusic Level 2

Dave LaRonde wrote:

AtonMusic wrote:

Oh, you think everything is a bug.  I learned the hard way that the first place to look when AE gives you an unexpected result is in the mirror.

And you can always say, "I rendered a QT Movie in ProRes 4444".  You don't have to say, "I exported a QT Movie in ProRes 4444".  AE practitioners have been using this simple differentiation in terms for years.

Easy, huh?

I DID look in the mirror. This here very forum is the metaphor for THAT mirror.

Look Dave,

I am not going to default to using language I dont think is appropriate NOR economical.

You go ahead and use that old term. Render.

I'll use export.

That way anyone will understand WHAT I mean (expect you )

No ordinary human being has ANY idea of WHAT a render is. Ask your wife. If you have one. Then ask what EXPORT could mean.

The guy who came up with that word Render is probably the same complicated Mr. I am looking to come up with complicated things so everyone can suffer

that invented the FireWire 800 plug. Imagine you have in your hands to invent a NEW plug. And you make one as stupid and non-ergonomical as the FW800 plug

Cut to the chase Mr... the director shouted.....

I'll use export !

• 9. Re: AE CS 5.5 - Exporting 30fps TIFF Sequences from a 29.97 Source and Comp
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no way to assign a frame rate to an image sequence. It's just a folder full of still images. When you import the image sequence into a player, compositing app, or NLE you may assign the frame rate.

AE's default frame rate for imported image sequences is found in the preferences. This is one of the first things I change when I install AE or when I start working on a new project. For example, if I'm working on 24P footage from a video camera and I'm going to be working with image sequences I'll change the preferences to 23.976 fps (because that's what 24P runs at). If I go back to 60i or NTSC, or 30P, or film, I"ll change the preferences again so that I don't get into trouble. It's all part of a well organized and managed workflow.

You should also know that there's no way to assign a PAR to image sequences. That's another thing you have to watch out for. AE usually guesses right based on the frame size, but it will almost always foul up NTSC Wide screen interpreting the footage 4:3 instead of widescreen. The setting for interpreting PAR is a little more hidden, but you can still set it. Let me know if you need to know where the setting is.

Hope this helps.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: AE CS 5.5 - Exporting 30fps TIFF Sequences from a 29.97 Source and Comp
                            AtonMusic Level 2

Rick,

in case you dont read this post anymore... I would like to know where that hidden PAR feature is.

I PM'd you but you can answer her too...

Thanks

• 11. Re: AE CS 5.5 - Exporting 30fps TIFF Sequences from a 29.97 Source and Comp
                              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Interpretation Rules.txt file is in the AE application folder. Be very careful editing this file. Make sure you save a copy of the original. A Google search will bring up several examples of how folks change this file.

Now that I don't work in SD any more, especially formats like NTSC Widescreen, I no longer modify this file. I also do all of my compositing work in square pixel compositions. AE handles the PAR correction perfectly for all properly imported and interpreted footage. The simple rule is that you always interpret footage as what it is and not what you want it to be.

Here's an example: You set up a 720 X 480 Art Board in Illustrator, create your graphics, then bring them into After Effects. AE is going to interpret that frame size as non-square NTSC pixels because it's the standard frame size for NTSC DV footage. The problem is that the artwork is really square pixels. You have to go into the footage interpretation panel and change the interpretation to square pixels. The artwork will no longer perfectly fit in DV composition but it will not be distorted.

People often take non square footage that is interpreted as 4:3 and change the interpretation to widescreen because they are working in a widescreen comp. This is only right if the original footage was shot or the images were created in an app that supports widescreen PAR. If the footage was originally SD video then changing the interpretation to widescreen will distort the footage. It will fill the frame of a widescreen comp, but it will be distorted (stretched). Be careful here. Make sure that you know what the PAR of your source footage is. Make sure it's interpreted correctly, then you'll always end up with footage that not only looks right but is right when displayed on the proper screen.

That's why I always work in Square Pixels. I don't always render square pixels (going to DVD for example), but I always work there. It's the only way I can be sure that my work is correct.

• 12. Re: AE CS 5.5 - Exporting 30fps TIFF Sequences from a 29.97 Source and Comp
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Regarding 'export' versus 'render':

Dave makes this point (perhaps a bit too harshly sometimes) to make sure that people aren't doing the boneheaded thing of using File > Export for QuickTime formats.

That's a valid reason, but it's not that important anymore, since the FIle > Export way of making QuickTime movies is gone. It relied on After Effects being able to talk directly to QuickTime, which it now can't because Apple doesn't provide a 64-bit QuickTime framework.

The term 'render' means "to create an image from inputs". To be nitpicky, the process goes render, then encode, then export---and that process is the same no matter which way you choose in the UI to make a movie. Given that the end goal is to get the movie out, you might fixate on 'export' as the step worth simplifying on in your vocabulary. That is an editor's way of thinking. But for compositors, the rendering step is the hellishly laborious phase, so they fixate on 'render' when using a single word to represent the whole process.

Neither is wrong.

In After Effects, we call it the "render queue" because we're coming from a compositor's mindset. So we lean that way. As does Dave.

Just make sure that you're geting the point across that in CS4 and earlier, the FIle > Export menu is almost always the wrong place to go for creating QuickTime movies.

• 13. Re: AE CS 5.5 - Exporting 30fps TIFF Sequences from a 29.97 Source and Comp
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There's information about the interpretation rules file here.