11 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2011 11:50 PM by Francesco_C

Using RSL in Flex 4.5

Francesco_C

Hi at all

i've a SWC (created with Flash Pro CS5.5).

When compile my application in Flash Builder 4.5, the compiler prompts this message:

No unsigned digest found in catalog.xml of the library, J:\FLEX\FLEX.PROJECTS.WORKSPACE\Demo\src\assets.swc. Compile the library with -create-digest=true and try again.

My assets.swc is a RSL.

Help!

Thnaks,

Francesco

• 1. Re: Using RSL in Flex 4.5
          wraevn

I'm having this EXACT same problem - but my .swcs were published in Flash CS4. They're just asset swcs full of MovieClip symbols shared out for AS. The RSL works perfectly in Flash Builder 4 - when you select the Non-Digest radio button when configuring the RSL. Apparently, this feature was removed in Flash Builder 4.5, and now my RSLs don't work.

Since I'm compiling the RSL swc in Flash Pro and not via the command line, I'm not able to include the -compute-digest=true command, and I can't find that feature in Flash Pro. (the error in FB is wrong - the command is -compute-digest, not -create-digest).

Does anybody have any idea how to compile an RSL swc in Flash Pro w/ -compute-digest=true?

• 2. Re: Using RSL in Flex 4.5
            Darrell Loverin Level 4

I don't know about Flash Pro but you can add a digest to your SWC after it is created. Use the "digest" tool in the Flex SDK to add/update a digest in your SWC.

First extract the library.swf file from the SWC and then use it with the digest tool.

>digest library.swf -swc-path mySWC.SWC

-Darrell

• 3. Re: Using RSL in Flex 4.5
              wraevn Level 1

Brilliant Darrell! Thanks for the snappy reply. Trying it now - fingers crossed!

I DID try putting CONFIG::COMPUTE_DIGEST | true in the optional compiler properties in the Flash Pro, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

B

update: Eureka - it worked!

Some notes for others trying this:

the syntax Darrell wrote is correct - but note that the -swc-path SomeRSL.swc means the path to the corresponding swc from which you extracted the library.swf. It doesn't generate a NEW swc, it just updates the existing one.

Message was edited by: Wrævn

• 4. Re: Using RSL in Flex 4.5
                Francesco_C Level 1

Thanks Darrel!!

But every time I upgrade my SWC in Flash should I run digest? Is there a workaround to make this process automatically in Flash?

Francesco

• 5. Re: Using RSL in Flex 4.5
                  Darrell Loverin Level 4

Yes. I don't think there is a process to do this is in Flash.

-Darrell

• 6. Re: Using RSL in Flex 4.5
                    Francesco_C Level 1

Hi Darrell, thanks for your reply.

But.. why Adobe has not updated this issue in Flash CS5.5, to add a <digest> directly in SWC?

F.

• 7. Re: Using RSL in Flex 4.5
                      Flex harUI Adobe Employee

Flash SWCs are primarily intended for single component transfer between

Flash projects (and import into Flex).  They make poor RSL containers since

they only contain a single component.

• 8. Re: Using RSL in Flex 4.5
                        wraevn Level 1

So what you're saying is - "Your'e doing it wrong." :-P

Which I suspected was the case. What we're doing with the Flash-based swcs really should go into a Theme, but for whatever reason, they're RSLs for now. I'm sure we'll be changing this architecture soon enough - thanks for additional feedback. This will help me convince the team that we are, in fact, doing it wrong.

• 9. Re: Using RSL in Flex 4.5
                          Francesco_C Level 1

I would like that Flash Builder and Flash are updated together ...

Flash SWCs are unusable in Flash Builder without using digest component SDK!

• 10. Re: Using RSL in Flex 4.5
                            Flex harUI Adobe Employee

I thought they were usable to import components into your app, but not as

RSLs.

In theory, you can have your own Flex project that aggregates several Flash

SWCs into a Flex SWC library and RSL.

• 11. Re: Using RSL in Flex 4.5
                              Francesco_C Level 1

Hi Flex harUI,

Flash SWCs work as "Merged" into my FlexProject but not as "RLS".

I try to create a Flex Library Project adding my Flash SWCs (as Merged) but doesn't work because Flash SWCs are not compiled into the Flash Library Project

: (