10 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2011 6:52 PM by yaytentacles

Need help with movie clips in flash...

yaytentacles

Hey y'all, I'm having some trouble with flash.

Alrighty. So, I need to make a slideshow using flash... seems easy enough, right? Well, it would be if I could get the movie clips to work.

My goal is to create a slideshow using masking to create a "reveal" effect so the pictures don't just pop up one after another. Using movie clips is the easiest way for me since I also have to create skip and back buttons using action script.

What happens:

I convert the imported image to a movie clip symbol.

Create the masking effect, everything works fine.

moviecliphelp1.png

Close out of edit symbol mode... drag the movie clip to the stage in a new key frame.

moviecliphelp2.jpg

Doesn't seem quite right to me... I test it anyway

moviecliphelp3.jpg

Nothing shows up. =(

Help?

• 1. Re: Need help with movie clips in flash...
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For the timeline of the second image you show, try putting a stop() in the first frame.  I could be you aren't giving the movieclip enough time (and timeline) to show up.

• 2. Re: Need help with movie clips in flash...
            yaytentacles Level 1

I'll try putting stop.

I don't think the timeline is really an issue, though. Usually the movie clips will play out entirely even if it's one frame, as seen here:

http://www.republicofcode.com/tutorials/flash/video/slideshowmask.php

(The movie is sort of long, skip to the 8:07 mark to see what I'm talking about)

• 3. Re: Need help with movie clips in flash...

Looking at some other design isn't going to solve yours.  Based on the timeline you show, I would say it is passing by your movieclip before it has a chance to show up.

• 4. Re: Need help with movie clips in flash...
                yaytentacles Level 1

I tried adding stop, but it only works for the first of the movie clips. If I drag another movie clip in the second frame, nothing shows up when I preview it (and it should, it's a movie symbol).

moviecliphelp4.jpg

moviecliphelp5.jpg

I don't really know what to do. I've done this before with movie clips using animated characters and it seemed to work, I don't really understand what the problem is here.

I also tried adding stop again after the first clip hoping it would work for the second clip, nothing happened.

• 5. Re: Need help with movie clips in flash...

If you stopped the timeline in the first frame, you aren't going to see what's in the second frame.  You'll need something to advance you to frame 2.

• 6. Re: Need help with movie clips in flash...
                    yaytentacles Level 1

I'm confused... what were you talking about before with the stop, then?

The animation only worked when I had stop in the first frame on a different timeline, but it won't play any other movie clips on the pictures timeline after the first. That's what's confusing. It doesn't really make any sense, all the movie symbols should work without the stop (but it doesn't).

I moved the stop(); to the end and:
                    moviecliphelp6.jpg

It doesn't play anymore. I really just... I'm completely at a loss. It should be a lot easier to figure out than this. =\

• 7. Re: Need help with movie clips in flash...

You are missing an understanding of one of the basic elements of Flash... the timeline.  Do you see that layer named bg?  Without any stop() command in the timeline, the timeline will play from frame 1 thru frame 55 continuously... it will just keep looping at whatever frame rate your file is set to play at.  When it gets to frame 55 it will go back to frame 1 and keep going again.

Then, do you see how you have one movieclip in frame 1 of the pictures layer of that timeline?  That movieclip only exists in frame 1, no frame beyond that.  So if your timeline is constantly looping, you are in and out of frame 1 in less time than a blink of an eye... you can't expect to see it, especially if it gradually appears.   And if you just moved that stop() to frame 55, there is nothing in the picture layer at frame 55, so you will see nothing.

In order to see the animations of your movieclips in frame 1 or frame 2, you need to be stopped at frame 1 or frame 2, because those are the only places they exist.

If you were to remove the stop() and take the movieclip in frame 1 and extend it along the timeline like you did with the bg layer, then you would see it play because you are giving it sufficient time displaying to see it.

There isn't much else I can offer.  You need to get an understanding of the timeline.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Need help with movie clips in flash...
                        yaytentacles Level 1

Dragging them out works, but I still don't get why they won't work if I just keep them as one frame as shown in the video I linked a few posts ago. They should play out independantly.

As long as it's working I guess I can't complain... figuring out what to do with the action script might be a bit harder to do now, however since I'm going to have 300+ frames instead of 12.

• 9. Re: Need help with movie clips in flash...

12 versus 300 shouldn't make a difference.  If you plant them one frame after another, then your code just needs to stop at each frame.

If you create a button and place it in your bg layer and have that button execute nextFrame();  that is all you would need to go from one frame to the next, stopping each time.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Need help with movie clips in flash...
                            yaytentacles Level 1

Yeah, I'll just have to see if it works out...

Thanks for the advice.