6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2013 4:10 PM by John T Smith

PE9 suddenly will not work for no apparent reason

NerdAngel

I have been successfuly using Premier Elements 9 for the last month since I bought it. This last Thursday, while trying to find video footage online for an upcoming project, one or several bugs came into my computer and almost killed it, and since its recovery, Adobe Premier Elements 9 has suddenly decided that it is "not compatible" with my computer. Even though I have double and triple checked my computer requirements. I need this program for project, need it very badly in fact, but what the heck is going on with it? My computer has since been debugged, cleaned out, and fixed. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times, to the same end: whenever I click to open PE9, it pops up with one of those windows asking "Do you want to allow this program to make the following changes to your computer?", I click yes, and absolutely nothing happens. It doesn't open, and it obviously doesn't make the changes it's talking about. Coincidentally (or not), at the same time, the Photoshop Elements I bought with PE9 has decided that one second after I open it, it will "encounter an error/problem" and be forced to shut down with no explanation as to what the problem was or how to fix it. Photoshop Elements has also been working fine. My computer is 100% fine now after its fiasco, but these programs refuse to work. A little help or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: PE9 suddenly will not work for no apparent reason
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I know you say you've cleaned and debugged your computer -- but if you clicked Yes on a window asking if you'd like to modify your computer, there's a very good chance you've downloaded a virus or, at the very least, some troubling spyware.

Run the maintenance regimen I recommend in my books and in the FAQs to the right of this forum. In most cases, this particular strain can be remedied with Spybot S&D and Advanced System Care (even if your antivirus missed it). But, if not, a good virus scan with your antivirus program or, better, Malware Bytes may get your computer back up and running.

Hopefully. Unless the thing you've downloaded is deadlier than the typical bug. (This is as true for a Mac as it is for Windows PC, by the way. A notorious Mac virus has been bringing down Apple computers left and right lately! And, unfortunately, free maintenance programs, like Spybot and Advanced System Care, don't exist for the Mac -- so you may need to pay to get your machine running again.)

BTW, how much clean, freshly defragmented space is left on your C drive? You'll need at least 30 gigs to keep your computer running well.

Meantime, watch out when looking for videos online! Beware of freebies. And NEVER approve ANY offer to modify your computer unless it's a computer you've intentionally installed.

• 2. Re: PE9 suddenly will not work for no apparent reason
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Steve's comments on nefarious malware, you might want to look at this ARTICLE for general tips on tuning one's OS and computer for video editing, and especially with Adobe NLE programs. There are a lot of links in that artilce, and while more are PC-centric, many apply for the Mac too.

Look over the tips and links in that article, as they might be very helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE9 suddenly will not work for no apparent reason
              LNPato Level 1

I recently upgraded to Premiere Elements 11 at work, and every time I open the program, I get the "User Account Control" window pop-up and asking if I want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer... it says the program name is Microsoft(c) Register Software, the Verified Publisher is Microsoft Windows, and the File Origin is Hard drive on this computer.

It does not cause further problems, but I enter my password & click yes every time & nothing different happens -- Elements just opens as usual, and then I get the same message the next time I open it...

Do you think it is spyware? If it has nothing to do with Adobe Premiere, I guess I should talk to someone in my IT department...

Please let me know...like I said, I'm not having any issues because of it, just curious why it pops up EVERY time I open the program...

• 4. Re: PE9 suddenly will not work for no apparent reason
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This three is nearly two years old, lnt. Did you mean to attach your question to it?

Also, is your computer at work on a network. Premiere Elements will not work on a network.

If you have any other questions about your setup -- and it is NOT on a network -- I'd recommend you start your own thread.

• 5. Re: PE9 suddenly will not work for no apparent reason
                  LNPato Level 1

Yes, I posted it here because it was the only one that came up when I searched for "Do you want to allow the follwoing program to make changes to this computer"

I am on a network, and it works fine...I have found out that I sometimes need to render files when i re-open Premiere because they are not saved locally, but that is the only network-related problem I have had.

Does this User Account Control asking if I want to make changes have anything to do with Premiere, or is it related to my computer/network & I should talk to my IT department?

• 6. Re: PE9 suddenly will not work for no apparent reason
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Search http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US for all Microsoft questions... and I think UAC is a Microsoft question