11 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2011 10:44 PM by skunkswithwings

Anamorphic Video

skunkswithwings

Hello, I've been trying to figure out a good way to create an animorphic video for a few weeks now with no luck.  The closest I've been has been polarizing the video.

If you aren't familiar with anamorphosis here is an example.

What I'm trying to do is pull the left and right edges down 90 degrees to create a perfect rainbow shape.

Any suggestions anyone? 

Thanks so much!

• 1. Re: Anamorphic Video
          skunkswithwings Level 1

Almost forgot, the example! Anamorphosis_chair.jpg

• 2. Re: Anamorphic Video
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm still not sure what exactly you are having trouble with. The Polar Coordinats filter should do just fine, but of course you will have a loss in resolution due to the distortion...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Anamorphic Video
              skunkswithwings Level 1

Well, because I'm actually projecting this onto a surface and making a functional animorphic video,  I need the video to be shaped more like a donut than a filled in circle, if that makes sense.  I need for there to be a round negative space in the middle of the video where I can set a mirrored sculpture.  I am thinking the best way to achieve that negative space in the middle of the video is to create a black rectangle on the top of the video and then distort it using polar coordinates.

So basically i need to make a thick black border at the top of the video make sure it is attachted to the video layer and then warp it.

But how would I do this?

Thanks!!!

• 4. Re: Anamorphic Video
                skunkswithwings Level 1

WILL NO ONE HEAR MY PLEA?

• 5. Re: Anamorphic Video
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

skunkswithwings wrote:

WILL NO ONE HEAR MY PLEA?

NO!

And you know why?  AE probably can't do it, that's why!  You need optical-quality precision to pull something like this off, and you need to know the PRECISE CURVATURE of your reflective surface, and the precise curvature of the screen surface, and you've given us absolutely NOTHING!  You expect us to be mind readers.

So, the answer remains NO.  Come across with a more precise description of the project, the type of footage you're using, the resolution of your projection device, the resolution of your playback device, and we MIGHT be able to come up with some recommendations.  If Mylenium's suggestion won't cut it the suggestions probably won't include using After Effects.

Right now, all we have are the ramblings of someone who has an idea, but hasn't taken the time nor effort to communicate it clearly.

• 6. Re: Anamorphic Video
                    skunkswithwings Level 1

Dave,

Here's the thing.  I know how anamorphosis works, I've been working with it for years I'm just trying to take it into a different medium.  I don't care about resolution, all of the videos I'm using are screen captures from the internet, also they are all different sizes.  This is an art project that has nothing do with video quality. Right now curvature doesn't matter, I'm not asking anyone to do this for me, I'm going to warp the heck of this thing later.

In the post above I wrote "...basically i need to make a thick black border at the top of the video, make sure it is attached to the video layer..."  I need to make a black rectangle on the top of the video that I'm editing and hopefully attach it to the same layer, if that is possible.  When I run it through Polar Coordinates, the rectangle that I will I hope add in, will create a circular negative space in the middle of my compilation.

I'm not worried about specifics involving anamorphosis right now.  If you think AE can't pull off the technical aspects of this project, then thank you for that information.  I'm trying to get a negative space in the middle of the video. I'm still using Polar coordinates to get it into a circle because this is the best method I've found so far.  I do not want to lose any of the footage (Again, i do not care about video quality)  I need a space to place the sculpture without it.  Adding a black border to the top of the video before distorting it is also the best solution that I could think of.  I figure, if there is a black border attached to the top of the main video layer it will warp with the rest of the video when I run it through Polar Coordinates.  If this is unreasonable, or if you think I should do this in Final Cut, please let me know.

I don't expect you to be a mind reader, Dave, but I do however expect to come on to a site forum full of professionals who act like professionals and not get snapped at.   Learning a new craft is not easy.  Please do not blindly insult me, you've been in the business long enough to know how to use manners.  You could have just asked for me to explain a little better.

Thanks

LMN

• 7. Re: Anamorphic Video
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try this. Drop your image into an empty timeline to create an image sized comp. Now go to the Composition Settings Advanced tab, check the bottom middle box in the Anchor settings. Now go back to the main comp and make the composition square by adding to the height. This will put your image at the bottom of the comp with a transparent area at the top. Now rotate the image 180º

Now pre-compose moving attributes to the new composition and then apply Polar Coordinates to the Pre-comp. You should get an image that looks like this:

polar.png

I think that's what you're looking for. The top of the image on the outside, the bottom of the image on the inside, with a hole in the middle for the reflective cylinder.

• 8. Re: Anamorphic Video
                        skunkswithwings Level 1

Thank you so much!  This is perfect!

• 9. Re: Anamorphic Video
                          skunkswithwings Level 1

Rick,

Thanks again for your reply.

I've been trying this in the order that you told me, but It seems that I may be missing a step.  the image doesn't seem to be anchoring

I made a video to show you what I'm doing.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD5M-I8xl8k

Is there anything that I am missing?

Thank you,

LMN

• 10. Re: Anamorphic Video
                            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Almost....

1. Drag image or footage into comp window to create a new comp
                            2. Rotate image 180º
                            3. Change Advanced Composition Settings Anchor setting to bottom center then change comp settings by adjusting height to make comp square
                            4. Precompose - Moving Attributes (this is your biggest mistake)
                            5. Apply Polar Coridinates to PreComp.
                            6. If hole is too big then open up the pre-comp and reduce the comp height.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Anamorphic Video
                              skunkswithwings Level 1

This worked perfectly!  You've saved me so much time!