1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 24, 2011 3:41 PM by joomlaoscommerce

Time to move on...

ShaneM2011

ADDT is dead and is not coming back. I would recommend the following options for PHP users:

If you consider yourself more of a designer and your PHP and programming knowledge is just enough to build basic CMS type systems using ADDT, stick with Dreamweaver and go with Wordpress, Drupal or Expression Engine for building your sites. There is a learning curve of course, mainly for how to design your templates to work with each CMS system. However, each of those has many users, lots of community support, and tons of add ons, themes, etc. Unfortunely, none of those tools is going to be as easy/simple as ADDT. Don't wait and stick with ADDT. At this point, the codebase is ageing rapidly. You may be risking security of your sites and customer data by sticking with it. The code hasn't been reviewed and updated in years, as far as any security issues go. Also, if you are relying on shared hosting, one day the sites might just stop working as hosts upgrade their PHP versions. Granted, this may be a few years down the road, but there is no compelling reason not to learn something better/more modern at this time. If you upgrade to Dreamweaver CS5, it works easily with some of the major CMS frameworks like Wordpress and Drupal.

If you consider yourself fairly knowledgeable when it comes to PHP and programing. Consider moving to one of the many frameworks out there.  You will need to learn MVC design pattern and Object Oriented design in order to really take advantage of these tools. Codeigniter is a good place to get your feet wet. For former ADDT users,  I would recommend YII. YII has a built in system called GII, which you run out of the browser, that helps you to auto generate the scaffolding of the site, including easily creating a basic CRUD framework from your database tables, similar to ADDT. The best thing is that the auto generated CRUD tool will create an admin interface with a dymic list table that looks very similar to what the ADDT dynamic list/form wizard creates for you. So you get a table that sorts, searches and filters and has the view, edit and delete links for each record generated on the fly just like ADDT dynamic lists. Also, I would recommend moving away from Dreamweaver. It's a decent IDE and makes managing multiple sites fairly simple, but there are cheaper and better alternatives for PHP devs out there. For a free solution go with NetBeans. This kind of IDE is specialize for programing and has many useful features that Dreamweaver lacks. An even better solution is PhpStorm by Jetbrains. I won't go into all the advantages, but it's much cheaper and is an excellent PHP, CSS and HTML development tool. The code hinting and code completion for PHP is simply much more advanced than Dreamweaver. I find myself typing much less to do the same work.

It's sad that ADDT is gone. I was able to crank out customized complex sites quickly. My only point in writing this is to convince some of you stragglers that it's time to move on and hopefully give you some ideas for where to go from here. It was great while it lasted. No use beating a dead horse that is ADDT. Time to step your game up!

• 1. Re: how can i use DW for PHP programin Application
          joomlaoscommerce

Dear Member, thanks to u and to adove forums administrator as well all valued member.

before i only used DW for designing CSS and HTML, but currently when i try to use for php application, ido not get any help to writing any function or class in php. i am using dreamweaver 8. now could u please tell me how can i get both Programin and designing help using Dream weaver, or should i use which IDE.

Thanks