16 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2011 12:16 AM by TeR-D RSS

convert old freehand to illustrator

TeR-D Community Member

I have some rather old freehand files (early nineties) I gues freehand 3.1 - without extension.

Does anyone know:

- the right extension (tried .fh3 - and all other - without success)

- a way to convert them to illustrator...

• 1. Re: convert old freehand to illustrator
          Mike Gondek2 MVP

Opening the freehand file in a text editor, adn in the first few paragraphs should tell you the verison.

Might not matter if you have the exact version, just as long as Illustrator try to open the code, try .fh9

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/illustrator/articles/illcs2ip_fhilltech/illcs2ip_fhillte ch.pdf

• 2. Re: convert old freehand to illustrator
            TeR-D Community Member

I guess that the file is to old.

Whatever extension i apply to the files I get the same message:

The file "..." is in an unknown format and cannot be opened.

Damn...

Kind regards

TeR

D d - s i g n  A p S

- graphic design company

TeR Doessing

Skolegade 59, 8600 Silkeborg

phone: +45 8681 3112

mobile: +45 2121 9011 / fax: +45 9617 0519

http://www.ddsign.dk

Den 09/05/2011 kl. 16.19 skrev Mike Gondek:

try .fh9

>

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/illustrator/articles/illcs2ip_fhilltech/illcs2ip_fhillte ch.pdf

>

Might not matter if you have the exact version, just as long as 

Illustrator try to open the code.

>

• 3. Re: convert old freehand to illustrator
              Monika Gause MVP

Two possible solutions:

- the file might have been saved with compression. Search for Disk Doubler on this forum. It has been discussed and solved.

- look for someone with a FreeHand version 7. They can open it and save to version 7, which can then be openen in Illustrator

• 4. Re: convert old freehand to illustrator
                Tom Usrey Community Member

In case forum search is still broken:

If you need something to open old DiskDoubler compressed files, look into TheUnarchiver; you can Goggle it.

• 5. Re: convert old freehand to illustrator
                  SciDot_ai Community Member

I converted ten complex FreeHand maps to Illustrator a while back. The extension I used was .fh3. I opened them with my Mac tower 9500 in FreeHand 7. I then Exported each map to Illustrator 8 (extension .ai) and copied them over to a newer Mac. I then Opened and Saved them in Illustrator 10 (my favorite version at the time [2007]). It sounds like a lot of steps with some desktop maneuvers on an older Mac with FreeHand 7 -- but I would not have wanted to recreate those ten color maps again. (A professor was moving all of his classroom graphics to PowerPoint and needed revised versions.) On my Mac OS 9.1 system: the .fh3 extension was the 'key' to successfully converting the drawings. (I still have the older Mac 9500 because it runs my big older Linotype Hell Saphir scanner.)

• 6. Re: convert old freehand to illustrator
                    TeR-D Community Member

That sounds like the right solution. Unfortunately I don't have any 

old mac computers (yet not true - I have an old SE

Could I ask you to give it at try with one of my files? -

Best wishes

TeR

• 7. Re: convert old freehand to illustrator

Hi TeR,

Yes, I would be willing to give one a (convert to .ai) try ... if you know a way to get a file to me. It would be nice to know if the drawings were created on a Mac or PC. I am not sure it would matter, it's just that in my FreeHand days I would give copies of my FreeHand drawings to PC-folks and the patterns would wig out on the PCs ... so I have always assumed that the platforms were a bit different. That's one of the main reasons I gave up on FreeHand and continued with Illustrator: I never had those problems with Illustrator.

SciDot [from mid-coast California]

• 8. Re: convert old freehand to illustrator
                        TeR-D Community Member

That sounds great. I'm not sure on how to send the file to you.

I don't know if this forum has an attach-possibily - otherwise I can 

mail it to you. It's only a 150K-file (they were made small those 

days and it was made on a mac ...

TeR - Jutland in Denmark ..

Den 11/05/2011 kl. 09.13 skrev SciDot_ai:

Hi TeR,

>

Yes, I would be willing to give one a (convert to .ai) try ... if 

you know a way to get a file to me. It would be nice to know if the 

drawings were created on a Mac or PC. I am not sure it would matter, 

it's just that in my FreeHand days I would give copies of my 

FreeHand drawings to PC-folks and the patterns would wig out on the 

PCs ... so I have always assumed that the platforms were a bit 

different. That's one of the main reasons I gave up on FreeHand and 

continued with Illustrator: I never had those problems with 

Illustrator.

SciDot

>

• 9. Re: convert old freehand to illustrator

I sent a private message to you via your website contact info -- so we should be good-to-go on this project. I will be interested to see if I can convert your file(s). SciDot

• 10. Re: convert old freehand to illustrator
                            TeR-D Community Member

Hi there

ok - fine - was it sent to my ter@ddsign.dk address?

I'll be off for today - a meeting in the town. I'll be back later.

Så fantastic that you'll give it a try.

Cheers

TeR

• 11. Re: convert old freehand to illustrator
                              TeR-D Community Member

Hi again

I didn't get your email from yesterday.

Did you send it to ter@ddsign.dk?

Sorry to keep on bothering you ...

Cheers

• 12. Re: convert old freehand to illustrator
                                Monika Gause MVP

Check the "your stuff" section in this forum. It contains your private messages.

• 13. Re: convert old freehand to illustrator

I have to give a big 'Thank You' to Monika for her tip that FreeHand 7 files can be opened right from the newer CS Illustrator(s) now ... and for telling TeR and me how to find our private messages on this forum. TeR sent me one old FreeHand file which I opened in (Mac) Freehand 7 and Saved as .fh7 -- I then Opened the .fh7 directly from Illustrator CS4 (Mac). The great part about CS4 Illustrator is that the old FreeHand drawing Opened with *all four Layers!* (The old 2007 method, that I mentioned in an earlier post, resulted in a flat (one-layer) .ai drawing.) As an Illustrator-user who loves layers, I was really pleased with the new CS4 results. A second FH that TeR sent me would not open because a dialog box came up asking for some file that I did not have -- so FH7 would not open it at all. The dialog box gave only a choice of: 1) Find the file named, or, 2) Cancel. But our little experiment was a partial success. Thanks again, Monika, for your help on this one.

• 14. Re: convert old freehand to illustrator
                                    Monika Gause MVP

You're welcome.

• 15. Re: convert old freehand to illustrator
                                      Grant H Community Member

Nothing to do with the post really just a comment... man freehand was such a cool programme tho's days. Still miss some of the features that have some how faded away in new apps...

G

• 16. Re: convert old freehand to illustrator
                                        TeR-D Community Member

Thanks a lot to all of you good people who have helped solving my problem. Great having a forum like this for professional discussions. And especially a very big "thank you" to you, Dot for doing the hard work in the end. Hope that I will get a possibility of returning your help some time in the future.

And now my Dandelion has regained life